After much anticipation Hubby and I finally made it over to our local "Latter Day Saints" Cannery. We have heard about it from others, and read about it online, but have never gone.
The experience was awesome, the folks there were friendly and willing to answer any questions we had. After a 10+ minute orientation, we suited up with aprons, gloves, and hair nets and were put to work. We filled #10 cans with everything from sugar, to black beans. They also can dehydrated goods such as carrots, refried beans, and apples. And of course all the usual items like rice, flour, red and white wheat. With several of us there to work, we soon operated like a well oiled machine, and in less then 2 hours we were done.
The average price for a can is about $4.00.We got 18 cans and spent about 86..00.. Not a bad haul. They also pack your order into boxes and give you plastic lids if you ever need to open them. If left un-opened the shelf life is 30 years...
We also got some great ideas for storing that we had never thought of, and one is many of us put our goods in to closets, cabinets...we were told to make a map of our items, so we know where something is. And to also keep a running inventory (which we all ready do). So, if you have a cannery near you-make an appointment to visit, you do not have to be a mormon to go- we are not mormon, but I will caution you-at the end they do try to recruit. We smiled and were pleasant and declined..
JUGM - i am sooo jealous that i could cry - we have no LDS canneries near by although they do have a few on the mainland about a 7-8 hour drive away. we are seriously considering making a weekend trip just to go. but from everything i have heard from everyone everywhere - the LDS people are always very willing to help and teach and share their knowledge. i am glad that you had such a good experience and came out with such a good haul! congrats hon!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
What great deals on those cans of goodies. My neighbors are Mormons. Their church gets the equipment once a year and can some things. She has told me the next time they do so I can go with her. I do order my wheat through the LDS site I gave you in another comment.
ReplyDeletePS..The neighbors are always trying to recruit us as well.
Yeah we are all a bit enthusiastic about the canning and our faith, lol. Glad you enjoyed your self and got some great deals!!
ReplyDeleteKymber- I was going to give you the web address that mamma bear shared with me,so you can save yourself the trip and order offline but they don't ship outside the US.... : ( The road trip would be fun though, and very well worth it. I hope you and JB decide to go. I am hoping to go atleast twice a month Of course you can always fly south and come go with me sometime... : )
ReplyDeleteMamma Bear- Wheat prices were awesome, now I just need to get a wheat grinder and learn how to make my own bread, as I have Never done it before.... Help!
Lila- Oh my Gosh! tons of good tips and the folks were so ready to lend a hand for any question we had..I will definantly go back to do more canning.
mamma bear- I just did a "pretend" check out on the LDS site and noticed that its free standard shipping!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYep...the shipping is free. $28.00 for 33 pounds of wheat sealed in cans that last 30 years is a pretty good deal in my book. You can order one case at a time or multiple cases and the price is still the same. Whatever your budget will allow.
ReplyDeleteI've ordered the Mylar (foil bags), oxygen absorbers and the wheat. I'm going to do a post on my blog soon showing my stacked up wheat...LOL I just noticed they added the white wheat for $30.00 a case...May have to look into that. I haven't ordered any of the rice, beans or oats as I have plenty of that in food storage bags but for long term it may not be a bad idea to get some of those as well.
oh - stop - your killing me - arghghghgh!
ReplyDeletebut thanks for checking JUGM - i really appreciate it!
your friend,
kymber
Kymber-Just go across the border and get a PO Box, then order and have it delivered to your box.. easy peasy, lemon squeezy......
ReplyDeleteMamma-We got some of the white wheat Tuesday when we were there. Can't wait to try your Amish bread recipe...