Monday, November 12, 2012

Beginning Prepping 101 Pt. 2: Canned Meats


 
There are many different kinds of canned meats out on the market.Above are some of our favorites. Senior and I prefer Tuna, Chicken, and Canned Hams. We have found the DAK Ham brand to be very inexpensive, and they store for several years. Initially, we were purchasing them from
Wal-Mart, then we learned SAMS sold them in a three pack, and cheaper, but in recent months even SAMS has become sold out of the hams.  

The general idea is you want to create a goal for yourself and begin with that..for instance: 3 months. then work from there. Check grocery store ads, and clip coupons. Or just do what we did, if we picked one can off the shelf , we would pick one extra and put that aside. In an emergency situation, the typical store only has a 3 day supply in its back warehouse-so after those three days are over and no deliveries are being made, what do you think will happen? Yep! Complete Chaos...and if you need another reminder, look no further then what is being played out in the Northeast.

 With canned meats you can add gravy and mix it with all that rice you have been storing. Open up a can of chicken and throw in some canned dumplings for a nice warm dinner, which will stick to your belly and fill you up.

I like to make Tuna Mac with elbow noodles, boiled eggs, and mayonnaise. The kids love it!  And there are endless possibilities with SPAM.  : )

People have asked what I will do with all the canned food when it is expired?. Well, my answer to that is: “We stock what we eat, and eat what we stock”
We take from the front, and add to the back. Thus creating a rotation and nothing is allowed to expire. All though in our early days of prepping, and keeping a hurricane kit, things did expire. But now, we have become much more disciplined in our food rotation and with our excel file. 

I also consider the different tastes that my family has, and so should you. However, I do know that in a survival situation if you are hungry it won’t matter. Food and nourishment is important if you like it or not.

So, there you have it…a brief lesson on canned meats. Like I said previously if I only reach one person with this series then I will find it a success.

14 comments:

  1. We love canned meats and can our own hamburger, roast beef, sausage patties, sausage bits, bacon, tuna, salmon, and more. Gotta have protein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Stopping By Rose.. When you can your meats, do you raw pack? or cook it prior to canning? I have done raw pack, and the meat turns out really dry. Thanks for any ideas you can offer to me.

      Delete
  2. Lots of good advice in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea for rotating the stock like you do so things won't expire. I know my husband will do that with canned goods he gets. I would imagine with diligence, one can build up a supply of canned meats just the way you suggested, starting buying an extra can or two weekly and go from there. Great advice!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! lots of people don't think to do that. But it does help in starting a stash of food.

      Delete
  4. Another good place to look for canned meats is GFS (Gordon Food Supply). They are a restuarant supply store. I get large size cans of clams and shredded chicken there. I don't store the jumbo sized cans of tuna because I don't really like it....I can never get it drained well enough. It's always soupy and I HATE soupy tuna!! so I'm still stocking the regualr/small sized cans. Do you get yours to drain all the way? If so - how??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That my friend is my same problem with large cans. The only thing I can do, is scoop out small portions, drain the heck out of it, and scoop more. ..And like you, I depise soupy tuna! The can in the picuture is the only large can we have. I too only buy the small ones.

      Thanks for the info on GFS, Senior and I will go check it out.

      Delete
  5. I love these posts! Keep 'em coming! My original plan was to grow as much of what we eat as possible and put up stuff for the winter. Ha!!! Not even close to that goal yet! After seeing you Excel list I realized we aren't even prepared for a winter storm, so I started prepping more! Every time I go to the store my cabinet gets a little fuller. I even bought vienna sausages for my little hot dog lover, haven't had those in awhile LOL! I have never ate Spam. I may have to try it before it gets put on the list. Is it ham? How do you cook it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPAM is a universal meat source of sorts.. Its not really ham..lol My mom use to make what is called a Spam pie with cheddar cheese..it was actually really yummy.
      You can do pretty much anything with it. I will look for her recipe of the pie, and do a post on it.

      the best way to start a stock pile is when you go to the store, get an extra or a few extra cans of veggies or canned meats-even dry good, and toiletries ( which is my next post) .

      Delete
  6. Great post! I did start a list and hang it by our stock pile so that I can keep track of what we need and have. We are now organizing it so that we have in order by date for rotation. I just told hubby that I will be getting seeds and toothbrushes etc from the dollar store this week. Also feminine stuff and pet supplies, there really is a lot to think about.
    You're so helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is the topic of post number three .... great minds think a like.. lol

      Delete
  7. Here's my thought on stockpiling. Water is the most necessary thing we will need, so why would I waste it cooking rice??? Everyone stores rice, but when you have to ration water, it seems like a bad gamble. Any other option besides rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Starvation. What nutritional value besides rehydration does water give you?

      First off- you have Stored Water that you have stock piled.

      Second- You have Filtered water via a water filtration device that you should have in a bug out bag. You can get this water from a lake, creek or other water sources. If you don't have one of these inexpensive filters, then purchase one. Heck you can even get one of the brita versions if you have to.

      Third- You can treat water with a few drops of bleach.

      And when all else fails, create a catch and collect rain water or morning condensation.

      either way living in the Southeast like we do, there really is no reason not to have a water issue. we have so many bodies of water near and around us that it can be easily filtered for cooking purposes and consumption.



      Delete