Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Some Days...

I just want to pull all my hair out.. My Parents...I really do love them, but lately they have been the reason I have taken stock in Clairol hair color.

It is not easy with them. My father still has not fully recovered from his March hospital stay, and my mother's dementia worsens every day. Now, she has had an amazing amount of weight loss. Rapidly I might add.

My Concerns with my mother falls on deaf ears... To her the weight loss is a splendid thing and I am just being jealous. But to me, my family and even strangers. She does not look well and I am worried.
Today another argument with her, she takes too many medications and I fear she is also abusing vitamins...is that even possible? 
This was actually said today:

ME: " is this new magnesium pill you are taking doing any good" ?
HER: "Yes, the bottle says it helps relax muscles and helps with moodiness"
ME: "But do you feel it is helping YOU"
HER: "The bottle says it does..so yea it is"

Do you see where this conversation was going? Then she goes off topic, which happens in every conversation you have with her:

HER: " are you pregnant?"
ME: " WHAT"?  No.. 
HER: " well then maybe you need to take these pills to help you lose some weight, I think you are just jealous at how fabulous I look"

 She orders out of magazines, my father does nothing. My mother is taking so much crud, that she does not know what it is for. I believe one day she will drop from cardiac arrest.

*sigh*  Ever feel like you are in a bad situation and your hands are completely tied?  Yep, that is how me and my siblings feel..... 

Thank you all for listening...just needed to vent it out

-JUGM

20 comments:

  1. Not being sarcastic, but maybe a medical intervention is needed... Take all the stuff she is taking to her doctor and let him/her review it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NFO Buddy.... My dad has her an appointment with her medical facility next Thursday, my sister and I are hoping to go. However we are meeting much resistance. My parents doctors are not doctors at all, they are physican assistants, and the practice is one of the worst in town. My niece did many ambulance runs there and she spoke from experience. ... Then there is the HIPPA stuff. who ever she happens to see that day may or may not let us in the room, much less talk to them.. And my dad refuses to give us a medical power of attorny. Like I said, it feels like our hands are tied.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Well as you know JuGM I have a very different view of aging and what children should do for their parents. My thoughts have always been let em go the way they want to. My father has diabetes like every older person these days but refuses to take his meds or even check his blood levels and won't go to the doctor at all again. I feel it's his choice. In fact it is the same choice I plan on making when it is my time. He wants to run till he drops.

    Not the exact same scenario I know but in the end I think they are both celebrating their lives the way they want to kinda. I doubt anything your Mother is ordering without a doctor is dangerous with our FDA laws. Vitamin pills end up being less than 95% absorbed I have always heard.

    Then again I am funny I guess about individual freedoms and figure no matter how far gone someone is it is best to make em happy, even if that happiness hurts em a little. I mean why take a cigarette from a 90 year old kinda thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand... i really do. And that has always been my outlook on them. I have never criticized the condition of their home or the wonky things they do. I never argue with my father when he wants a stiff drink even though I know he is ate up with cirrosis of the liver... but with my mother, she has become so combative, that I am worried she could hurt herself or some one else. Not only does she order different stuff but she takes her prescriptions and begs us to tell her anything we are on, and asks if she can take it..and if we don't let her, she will go to her doctor and ask for a RX of it.. and this practice they go to is so screwed up...they will do it.

      I have to just let them go, and try not to stress. It breaks my heart seeing them like this.. But it is what I feel I have to do.

      Delete
  3. Parents, especially Moms can be so difficult to help. My sister & I often disagree w/how to handle our mama. My sister, like you, bears most of the burdens. But, I often seeing with 'outside' eyes, can see where there are other options that need to be considered. Such is the life of living & taking care of aging parent. Thank goodness my Dad married, after a 3rd marriage, a younger woman after divorcing my Mom & found the woman of his dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most vitamin "abuse" will just give a person expensive urine. But check on her Vitamin D, Folic Acid and Calcium. Those 3 are easy to get too much of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the doctor allows us to talk with him, my sister wants to request a blood panel done. I also thought too much vitamins could also cause constipation...

      Delete
  5. My neighbors mother had dementia. She would forget to eat and then later refused to eat. A stomach tube was put in to supplement her nutrition.

    A side effect of taking too much magnesium is diarrhea. We give the Marine extra doses of magnesium to help "things" run smoothly. Could be the reason your Mom is losing weight rapidly. She may be dehydrating herself as well and that in itself can cause mental problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama: You got a point about the magnesium. In addition to that my mom will take laxatives, and colon cleanse stuff. That would def. explain the rapid weight loss.
    And with the eating, she tells us all the time that nothing taste good to her, and she will not eat. I absolutly believe that she is dehydrating herself, and causing herself to become anorexic. My sister took her shopping for a new dress for my nieces wedding. She said mothers rib cage was showing, and she seemed skeletal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you write down all of your concerns along with all of the things your mom is taking and at least give that to to doctor if he will not see you? I agree with PP but she might make better choices if her mind was clearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sister and I were thinking of that, or going in ahead of time and try to discuss it with him. But i like this idea...

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of these vitamins, especially if they are multivitamins containing calcium, the above mentioned magnesium, and potassium, and the women's formula contains iron ALL can have can affect on the heart rate. Too much and it gets ugly. .

      Also in today's vitamins, many have stimulants in them, which most certainly affect the heart rate and as well can affect your mental condition, and JUGM's mom who already has dementia and is elderly.... I can't see how this would be a good thing... period. Dementia people usually don't need to be agitated.

      Also all of the above could could very potentially have drug interactions with her prescribed medications from her doctor(s). Many common interactions are with thyroid medications which many elderly have to take, and also with antibiotics. Some of the above vitamins bind with prescription medications and make them useless and ineffective. These types medications and supplements have to be spaced out and taken several hours apart so as not to interact with each other.

      Always tell your doctor and pharmacist what you are already taking before you add something else to the mix. From what I read above it appears that her mother could possibly be taking lots and lots of stuff and I bet her doctors don't have a clue as to whats she is self medicating herself.

      I certainly don't know what she is taking but JUGM mentioned vitamins and the potential abuse of them. They can be dangerous.

      Delete
    2. One more thing, any vitamins containing stimulants can affect your blood pressure as well.... as in raising it. Should a person have high blood pressure and a family disposition towards hemorrhagic strokes, and start taking a stimulant from some vitamin, and they could bleed out in the head (or anywhere else if they have an aneurism in their body).

      Delete
  9. There isn't much you can do with older people when they get that way. I live in constant dread I'll become disoriented and start being a pill to my family......

    You are doing the best anybody could do so don't feel badly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for you. Nothing to add to what the others have said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gurlie - several others nailed it, Matt especially! i understand how distressing this is for you and your family....please try and get a list of all of her medications, and a list of all of the vitamins she is taking. she definitely sounds dehydrated. i think that you need to work with your sister, father and your mother's doctor to try and medical power of attorney. again, i know how much stress this is causing. you know how to reach me if you need to talk.

    much love to you and all of your family, always. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds very frustrating to say the least!

    ReplyDelete