Saturday, August 30, 2014

A morning with my folks

We drove down to Florida to visit my folks.. Mom continues to go downhill, and she keeps losing weight. Her memory medicine is helping and she was more alert then in the past, but her agression has gotten worse.  Anything you want to do for them she opposes, and after an hour was hinting for us to leave. I have accepted that this is really not my mom, its this horrible disease.

 My father stays by her side and takes care of everything. 55+ years together is amazing, the love is what makes you weepy eyed. My sister showed up and showed me a book she got called " The 36 Hour Day" Its about coping with Alzheimer's/Dementia.

My dad was trying to mow the yard but being 80 , the Florida heat was getting to him. Senior had dropped us off so I decided to finish up the yard for Dad. Black shirt, black shorts, dressy flip flops...I know I am a good kid.!  He has one of those electric mowers so NW was behind me keeping the extension cord out of my way. I really don't like those things...

Mom's flowers were in bloom, and the butterflies were playing. ..

It was a nice visit.


22 comments:

  1. I am sorry about your mom and what Alzheimers is doing to her and your family. Went thru the same thing with my mom. What a cruel way to go towards the end of life. Hate this disease!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother has a more rapid and aggressive form because it is so prevalent on her side of the family.
      I am sorry about your mom. I hate what it does to the patient and family.

      Delete
  2. Hard on everyone even the boys..



    http://atthelakeinthewoods14.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rob it is because they understand her condition, and I hate that they will have this as a lasting memory. BTW Thanks for the link

      Delete
  3. The symptoms of aging are hard enough to deal with sometimes. But when you mix in a disease that through no fault of anyone, changes a parent's personality, it has got to be almost unbearable. There is a special place in heaven for those who have to go through this kind of thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad does not disclose everything to us kids- it is really being especially hard on him. We kids get to leave and go home. But he is with her 24/7.

      Delete
  4. Uhggg. I know it sucks. My Grandfather had it bad and the entire family had to come together to keep an eye on him 24/7. Seems to have bypassed my Dad though as he is 74 and not showing any signs of it yet only very minor memory loss. I know it worries him though because even his Grandfather had it and he is sure it runs in the family.

    Not easy to deal with so I sympathize with ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP. I hope as well that uour dad does not get this. My moms was inherited and it scares the crap out of me. I have all ready spoken to my DR. About it. There is now a new eye exam they can do, do determine if you will have it. The test has proven a 100% accuracy rate with test subjects.

      Delete
  5. This is an awful disease! I feel for ya... the owner of our little local market is dealing with this with his wife. She has gotten worse in the last couple months... they find rotten food in the storage room where she has hid it, half eaten ice cream cones put back in the freezers, cleaning things like meat slicer while still plugged in yikes! At times she is a kid.. she is a happy gal most days just have to watch 24/7 now no longer can leave her by herself. Like having a toddler around some days so they tell me. It seems to be progressing quickly..... she was diagnosed shortly after we moved here. Will add your family to my prayer list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a horrible disease. My dad will cook for my mom and she will throw it all in the garbage in front of him. Now she is upset because the DR has taken her driving privilege. My mom started showing signs a couple of years ago, but we have noticed a rapid decline since December. It is awful what it dies to the patient and family..prayers for that man you know..

      Delete
  6. oh honey - i really don't know what to say except that i am here for you. you know that you and Senior and the boys are always in our prayers, but since finding out about your mom a few months back, we have added your mom and dad to our prayers too. as many others have already said - this is a terrible, degenerative disease and it is hard on the person experiencing it, but it is just as hard on the family. you know where i am. i am sending so much love your way!

    love to you and yours, always! i love you Gurlie! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just being there to talk to and offering support is enough. Means the world to know that we have good friends out there who care
    Thank you for the prayers.. The road ahead is long the DR has told us mom has a very rapid form and to prepare ourselves. The trip from SC to FL is not that bad so I plan to make a monthly visit. .

    Love to you and Jam..hugs for you both

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. That's always so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So are y'all up here yet or still in FL? I surely hate what's about to happen.....

    Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt we are back up in SC now. My mom does not like company for too long. I will be back and forth as much as I can

      Delete
  10. My Grandfather had Alzheimer's. Remember the good times, pray with them, hold their hand when words can't describe how you feel, always greet them with a hug, and say farewell with a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched an amazing story last night on 60 minutes about a recent AlZ/dementia study. I usually do not like 60 min. But this story caught my attention. I hope to find the video on it and post it. Was really educational for me and helped me understand a lot of what is going on with mom. Thanks for your sweet comment. Hugs to your family and kisses for that new baby...

      Delete
  11. That's a lot to cope with. It's good of you to be so patient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JUGM,

    I'm slow at getting back to the computer and commenting on all my friends blogs, I'm sorry.
    We both went back to check on our parents this weekend. I really hate this disease, it affects many.... including our mother's. You're a wonderful, loving, strong daughter remember your mother the way she was, not the way she is with this disease. I know it's hard, because I'm going through it too. ((((JUGM))))) I'm sending you hugs and prayers, and love.
    Your Friend,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete