The headlines today make me a bit nausea's. Like the almost half a million people who have all ready lost their health insurance because of Obamacare, my parents are scared they are about to as well. It is another reminder of how frustrated and angry I get with those who voted for this, now we are seeing the results of their poor choice.
The cool weather continues, boys got to finally wear jeans and light jackets to school.
Yesterday, Senior got in the attic and brought down my box of fall decorations, The boys helped me in cleaning up the house, just so they could partake in the assistance of decorating it for fall. They felt my fake foam pumpkins were soccer balls and began kicking them across the front yard.. BOYS!
This morning I was up earlier then usual and laid out a sliced and marinated London broil on our dehydrator, yes it's jerky making day.
Senior said it smelled like Gyros and the house reminds him of Greece. Well, When I do my marinades it is whatever I have in the cabinets. This time it included some "Cowboy Rub" brown sugar, water , Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and a little bit of onion and garlic powders..
" Every think but the kitchen sink" meat rubs or marinades are all ways the best
After about 6 hours in the dehydrator it was ready to come off for a taste testing, and I can assure you that it did not taste anything like a Gyro.
My marinade concoction leaves you with a wonderful after taste and had the kids and Senior begging for more. I can't keep the little and big hands out of the baggies.
It is all packed up now, and ready to go on a weekend camping trip with us. No place too far away..just a yearly get away with one of our best friends and his family.
-JUGM

Gyros... gryos.... gryos.... wish we had a decent place near us.
ReplyDeleteYea no kidding ! I miss that ole place we used to go to near the outlets
DeleteJUGM and Senior,
DeleteIn town we have the place that is awesome, the family is from Santorini, Greece. The place is called the Greek House, it's to die for. I would send some to you but I think it would be soggy by the time it gets to you.
thanks for that bit of intel....but like you said my Gyro would be pretty soggy when it showed up. : (
DeleteThere are actually some pretty good Greek places up in Carolina, but for some reason nothing down where we reside..
I like jerky. We have a dehydrator but haven't used it since the kids moved away. The best thing about making your own is that, like you did, it's possible to just experiment and use what's on hand. You never know what new delight you'll turn out.
ReplyDeleteMy brother taught me to just throw stuff together. He makes the best marinades by just going through my cabinets..
DeleteYou should make you some jerky...
I'll bet that's some uber tasting jerky. Like you, I never really have an exact recipe. It's always... hmmm... what do I have in the cabinet. I haven't made jerky in a long time but now you have me craving some!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
It is delish! I also like to soak very lean ground chuck for a day or two, stuff it in the old jerky gun and make beef sticks...kids love those!
DeleteSo I guess Sci will be making her some this weekend. : )
picture Homer Simpson drooling that's me. bahahah
ReplyDeleteYea my "Jacked Up Jerky" can make a person drool... Hey that sounds like a business name.
DeleteThat is me thinking now...
That sounds good! Enjoy the weekend!
ReplyDeleteYea I can;t keep my hands out of the jerky bag either...
DeleteWe will have a good weekend.. you too!
JUGM,
ReplyDeleteWhen we purchased our dehydrator it came with a gun for jerky sticks. I haven't made jerky yet, hubby keeps asking me to do so. I'll have to try making some soon.
I started off with making jerky sticks...very easy. A bit messy, but easy.
DeleteOnce i got those down, I graduated up to slicing up a London broil.
What ever meat you get, make sure you cut off the fat. Which is why when you use ground meat, get the leanest you can find.
We'll make jerky at our house, and it's gone that day. Dang, we love some dried beef!!
ReplyDeleteMy son would move in with you he loves jerky so much.
ReplyDeleteGood one...
ReplyDeleteEvery time I dehydrate fruit I eat half of it before I put it in the bags. Your jerky looks good. Have fun on your trip :)
ReplyDeleteOh I cannot agree more...Big hands cannot stay away from the jerky when it is made...I always have to make more than I intended so I have some to put up for later. I can't wait to get to our new digs so I can get started on all of this...and yes Junkyard Marinades are the Best!!
ReplyDeleteI bet that jerky was delicious! So sad about your parents and potentially losing their health insurance, that is a scary feeling indeed and I'm sure they are at the age, like hubby and me at 55/60, where we need insurance. Thankfully, my company decided not to raise the rates this year and keep coverage the same; I was afraid they would raise premiums an arm and a leg so to speak. Hubby can be covered on the plan (and is) which is a good thing since he is self employed.
ReplyDeleteIts a terrible mess this Obamacare. Son at 24 years old is in that age group that will have to get coverage where more than likely he wouldn't have bothered, rarely visiting the doctor,. MESS, MESS, MESS!
betty