Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday...

Fall has certainly made its impression on my area. Windy, cloudy and misty. Temps down in the 50s here. Feels wonderful, and very seasonable. I think I will ask Senior to get my Fall decor down from the attic.
Halloween is around the corner and approaching faster then I hoped it would.
The boys had all kinds of wonderful but scary things they wanted to be for Halloween this year, so we wrote them all down on paper, and put them in a hat, tossed the hat around and Senior picked.
They will be Zombies.
 My sister will cringe, my mother will say "ewww why? "  And I will sit back and smile. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few folks have asked about my brothers girlfriends teenage son. Remember him? My brother picked him up in a walmart parking lot, he had been homeless.
Well, he moved the kid in with him in upstate NY. He escorted him to the nearest Army Recruiter, and he signed up for delayed entry. The Army has a program with one of the local colleges and with that he is getting his GED.  I am happy to report that it does look like the kid is getting himself straightened out, and will soon  be working on what we all hope will be a great Army career.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember my niece is getting married ?  If there is one thing that can cause family arguments, its a wedding ! The shear money they are forking out is mind boggling, and I am perplexed on how my brother in law who is a mail carrier is going to pay for it all.
Most definitely one of those platinum weddings you read about all the time. My brother and I have guesstimated they are dropping at least $25,000 on it. And they have a guest list of over 300 people.
When Senior and I got married, our wedding was $1700.00 and, we paid for it ourselves.  We planned it in 6 weeks. This particular wedding is not until May of next year.

Sorry, my mind is really boggled right now over $25,000 for one day...  It just..."WOWs" Me.  But yet I know, there are people out there who spend more. 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now its off here, laundry is calling my name, kids will be out of school soon, and dinner plans await. Have a fun "Hump Day"

-JUGM









11 comments:

  1. The military does a huge public service by providing a home for youngsters like that. They get a purpose in life, regular pay, discipline, and maybe most important of all they get an organization to belong to that is positive in nature. When I first went in, there were still a lot of "McNamara's Project 100,000" people in the service. They had low test scores, and not all of them worked out, but many of them reached the rank of Corporal or Sergeant and did good work. They rose to their level of competence, and never got very high on the totem pole, but had much better lives than they could possibly have attained on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And We all really hope that the same will be for this kid. He has NO structure in his life, if this does not work out for him, if he does not take it seriously, then he will once again go back to the streets..
      But so far, ( knock on wood) he has been in classes for his GED, and has started the Army in-processing. Currently he is sticking with it. So I hope it continues.

      Delete
  2. I wanted my little one to be a zombie cheerleader! I thought it would be cute, she's wants to be a flapper :/ Happy Hump Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lobbying for Zombie Baseball players... so far it has fallen on deaf ears.

      Delete
  3. I did not know the Army would take someone without their GED already. I know they wouldn't when I joined but that has been so many years ago anything could have changed by now.

    My son has been kicking around joining, honestly I am not so keen on it as I was when I was his age but it isn't like there are really any career opportunities for him around here.

    Zombies are kool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that same thing. But apparantly it is not always so. I am not sure If I would be keen on the military idea either, things are so dang PC now, and a totally different military then from what you and I knew.

      Yes Zombies are totally cool ! ..

      Delete
  4. JUGM,

    Your brothers, girlfriends teenage son homeless.....that is so terrible. I'm very happy to hear your brother picked him up and helped him get situated to get his GED and join the military.

    The boys will have fun dressing up like zombies for Halloween. Do they have an area where they can go out and show off their costumes? We used to years ago go to the Mall and have a blast with the kids all dressed up of all ages.

    Girl.....I hear you on that wedding $25,000.00 dollars is expensive. Why don't they save the money and buy a house or something, instead of just one day in front of all their friends. My first marriage was like your marriage in cost, then the 2nd and final marriage was $30.00 (justice of the peace). I think kids get so wrapped up in all the frivolous stuff, and don't think about how this may become a financial burden on their parents.

    Don't work to hard, have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a post back in Around the middle of August about The Kid. Yes a very sad story. He is a good kid, nice and helpful, just needed direction from a man in his life.

      Our neighborhood does organized Trick or Treating. The local zoo also does something called "Boo at the Zoo" which is really cool.

      My neice is 28. I could do an entire blog post about the entire affair, She only dated the guy for 3 months, he lives in PA.- He is a nurse up there and they have rented a house. Not sure if they want to stay in that area so they are waiting to buy.
      But, add in to that it is a long distance relationship. They are both Christians, and going through counseling, I think all that is great, but how well do you really know a person that lives in PA? That you dated via long distance for only 3 months. Then Now you are spending an obscence amount of money to marry him.
      Call me crazy..But atleast move in to the same town as the person you want to marry, so you can see the person every day, not once every 2-3 months. I could go on and on *Sigh*

      Then add in to the obscene cost, the fact that they are not having a DJ. So I guess all the 300 guest are just supposed to sit and stare at every one.

      Delete
  5. I think if parents are willing to drop $25,000 on a wedding they should give it to the couple and tell them to spend as little or as much as they want on the wedding and keep the rest to start a home with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1I never wanted the whole big wedding thing. Cave and I were married in VA and we spent more on the gas for the trip than we did on the entire wedding. I understand that they want to feel and look like a princess but $25,000 buys a lot of security. I'm probably the wrong person to opine on the subject though, We stopped and picked out the wedding cake at the grocery store on the way back to the in-laws house after the officiant said her words. We had Italian Cream Cake, buy one get one so it was half off. Score! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. before we married my husband asked what sort of stone i'd like in the engagement ring.
    i told him i'd rather have a refrigerator. they're cheaper than rings, too.
    deb harvey

    ReplyDelete