Hello everyone. My buddy Harry sent me a comment via one of my other posts, and I guess it has been a bit since I last posted. Harry to answer your question, yes we are still here.. Thank you so much for your concern.
Things have just been busy: kids out school, going back and forth to our Carolina property..and my mother. She was officially diagnosed with Dementia/Alzheimers. And the past month has not been easy. My mother is so fixated on all her OTC vitamins, laxatives and etc. The doctor asked us to clean everything out and destroy it. We tried, but did not realize the scope of her fixation, or the levels she would go through to protect them. She has stuff hidden quite well throughout their house. Even stashing bottles in with my dads diabetes medication. We also found a hoard of pain killers she had in the very back of her kitchen cabinets, the expiration dates were several years ago. We thought that maybe she forgot there were there, but no. That is not the case, she became quite agitated when we tried to destroy them, and openly acknowledged that she still takes them..
She will then regress backwards in her mind to almost a childlike demeanor, beginning us not to take them away or judge her.
It is heart breaking for me to see my mom like this. One minute she is engaged in a conversation with you, and the next she has no recollection of every thing that was just said. She refers to the men in her life as "mister" because she can not remember their names.
So with all this going on the last thing on my mind has been writing up a post. But, I will say that maybe I need to do this, writing about it, and talking about it is therapy. It helps ease my heart ache because I know I have all you good folks out there who are concerned and care.
-JUGM
I'm so sorry that you are having to be in this situation. My Grandfather had Alzheimer, and it has to be one of the cruelest diseases for the family. Stay tough and love her like there's no tomorrow. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. It is a battle indeed, and a horrible disease. My mother has gone down hill fast, and it is heartbreaking to watch.
DeleteSorry to hear that. Alzheimers sucks. My Grandfather was the same way with cars believe it or not. He had three vehicles stashed the family didn't know about. One at a friends house, one at a rented garage and one at a rental property he owned besides the one we knew about. When the courts finally took his license away and we took his keys he kept getting caught driving by the cops and none of us could figure out where he was getting these cars. To this day I am surprised he didn't kill someone as bad as he got.
ReplyDeleteWe went almost a year after he was found in the third car with no incidents then all of a sudden the cops call and he was caught driving a fourth car. Turned out it had come from one of his recently deceased friends who had given him the keys before he died. The last couple of years gramps didn't even know me always called me Buddy but every time he saw me he knew I was coming to steal one of his cars.
from my research and talking other folks who have had family with this, the patient does get fixated on things. I had another lady told me her mother was the same way about pills, only while going through her moms things, she found a pill bottle from 1972. My dad has stopped letting mom drive or go anywhere by herself. just really sucks.
DeleteOften times it helps to share the burden. It is important to know that you are not alone in this. We care and are here whenever you feel the need.
ReplyDeletethanks Vicki, both my parents are in denial over this, dad thinks that mom will somehow magically get better. Talking about it with others is a tremendous help.
Delete+ to Vicki - she is dead right!
DeleteI am so sorry to read this about your mother. I hope things begin to settle down for you all!
ReplyDeleteUs too Beth, and thank you. But I fear we are at the top of the mtn, and there is nothing but a dark, deep chasmn below us.
DeleteI am so sorry you are going thru this. My mom presented with dementia and finally got to the point where she could only remember the one minute before the present. Turns out that her dementia was the result of extremely low thyroid....she was severely hypothyroid. Her doctor did not even think to check this. The symptoms are the same. Simple thyroid treatment would have reversed the symptoms. Always get a second and even third opinion and do the research. I know how hard and heartbreaking this time is for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteGurlie - you know that our hearts are with you - i can't stand knowing that you are going through this. but Vicki above is right about getting it off your chest and sharing it with people that care about you and can understand. i have no advice to give, but i do have a couple of pretty big shoulders. you know where i am if you need me. don't try and take it all on by yourself. reach out and lean on people who care. you and yours are always in our best wishes and prayers. much love, Gurlie...i know how hard this is on you!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
On the plus side you have your boys and Senior to keep up distracted. Always remember the good times and memories with your mom. Some in my family were a little upset when I wouldn't see my garndma when she was Ill. I wanted to remember her running around cooking and talking with all of us grand kids during our visits every year.
ReplyDeleteThat is how I feel about my boys being with her. When the ALZ really starts taking over I don't want the last memory of their grandmother being this cruel disease taking her down, and them being unrecognizable to her.
DeleteHaving been down that path with my StepMom, I can understand what you are dealing with, and the toll it takes on not just time, but your well being. I'll keep all of you in my prayers. We're here, if you ever need an ear.
ReplyDeleteThoughts and prayers... Handle what you have to. We'll be around when you get time.
ReplyDeleteI hate you are having to go through that. I have some experience dealing with that issue and family members. I know how hard it can be on everybody. I'm glad you and your kids and husband are well. The only thing I can say is that sometimes you have to get away for a bit, and rest yourself.
ReplyDeleteSweet JUGM,
ReplyDelete(((((JUGM))))) Sending hugs to you and yours!!!
I know this is hard, I've walked in your shoes and do understand the stress your going through. Your friends are here for you, please if there is anything I can do don't hesitate to contact me even if that means just listening.
Sorry that your going through this {{{HUGS}}}
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy some of the Summer break, it goes by so fast.
Thanks every one for listening and for all your sweet and supportive words...
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, my Mother's behavior always worsened when she got a urinary tract infection (also known as UTI). If I noticed a change, I would ask the nursing home to check her urine and, sure enough, she had a UTI. The behavioral aspect is not widely known. I was told about this by a wonderful nurse. I hope this information helps someone else as it greatly helped us.
ReplyDelete((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
ReplyDelete