Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Ole Chimney and Other Stuff

At the estate we had two single wide mobile homes. One my father in law resided in, the other was old, and the floor was about to give away. So we got with our neighbor Mr. Farmer, and thus began the demolition of the old place. We said he could have it, and put it on his place if he just got it out of here. Must have taken him a month to dismantle the porch my father in law had built. Let me tell you that man used every nail he could find,and when he built something, he built it to last.
Then, about three weeks ago, Mr. Farmer got with another neighbor and had it towed off. It now sits in Mr. Farmers pasture, he is remodeling it for his grand daughter and her husband.

What is left in it's wake is a pile of concrete blocks and this old chimney. I love this thing. It has lots of rustic charm and character.


We plan to move the old rubble to a bottom area, and clear the old home site up. Once all that is done, Senior wants to work his magic and transform this old chimney into a fire pit. His plan is to make an opening in the bottom then make some bench swings around it. Should be nice and cozy once we are done with this project.

My parents came to visit. the only thing I have to say about it is my mother does not have a country bone in her body. Combining  that with her Alzheimers made for a wonderful week. By Wednesday night she had half of their luggage waiting by the door. At precisly 8am on Thursday their bedroom door opened, they were fully dressed and mother was lobbing bags at my dad as if they were baseballs. I can most likely predict that she will never return to our little hilltop estate.   *Sigh*

Saturday brought us rain, and dark clouds here today. Senior is smoking us some ribs. I will cook him up some baked beans, and fried corn. We will retire on our porch for the evening, with our major source of entertainment: The police scanner..  Fun times indeed! 

Till Next Time! 
JUGM


8 comments:

  1. That would make a neat fire pit area or you could build a shack around it, love shack....just a thought. I don't think my mother will ever visit here again, nothing was clean enough or in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh golly love shack..lol Your mother sums up what my mother said as well.

      Delete
  2. Sigh... Sad to hear it didn't go well. Shoot me an email if you would, I have a question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did not go well is an understatement... just shot you an email

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I wonder if the flue goes all the way down or ends just below the hole for the stove pipe? I bet you could mess around with it and attach a smoker to it as well or even a smoke house type thing rather than a love shack. We can see were SF's mind is at :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update, sorry that things didn't go well. I hope you are enjoying time away from the rat race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUGM,

    Hey there sweetie!!!

    This chimney is awesome :-) Seniors idea of creating a fire with benches and using these bricks will be a great place to have family evenings together.

    I'm sorry to hear your parents visit didn't go very well. Don't stress, parents will be parents.

    Ribs, baked beans, and fried corn ....... YUM! I'll bring the cobbler................

    I listen to the police scanner often, it's just amazing all the stuff you hear.

    Sending hugs and love to you, Senior, and the Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my mother came to visit me here from California, she made a big scene in my favorite restaurant because she wanted a "latte" and they were not available. She said "how can you live in this place, you can't even get a latte here." She has not come back to visit again. But she sends me nice care packages with coffee and paper napkins, even though I am mid sixties.

    ReplyDelete