Thursday, November 13, 2014

a question about chickens

This is Matilda..poor thing is constantly picked on by the entire flock. When I say entire flock I mean the big girls and all the Bantys too.  We have separated her and tried to reintroduce her back to them, but again they jump on her, pull out feathers and tear her flesh up. Its like chicken cannibalism... Ick!

Senior and I are constructing a new coop for the bantys and roosters. But any ideas with Matilda? I feel so darn bad for her, but I need ideas on getting her back into the coop  everything we have tried fails. As much as I like her and even though she is a real sweety she can't live in a box on our porch forever.  
Any help and is greatly appreciated...

12 comments:

  1. Dinner... Just sayin... Once they're ostracized, they're done for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ( I knew some one out there would say that..lol She is still too little for that.

      Delete
  2. To Old NFO..... pppffffttttttt!!!! Don't listen to him. (troublemaker) hehehe :-)

    If she were mine and if she got along with any of the other birds, keep her with the friendly hens and separate the bullies from the flock for a week. Then reintroduced the bullies back to the flock, one at a time. That should disrupt the pecking order putting them down lower and may put her back up higher and not get picked on.

    Also, when she grows bigger the banties may not pick on her anymore..... maybe..... we have one banty cochin who HATES white chickens. She tried to kill a chick she hatched that was white and chases one of the older pullets when she sees her.

    Keep good hens & chop-chop the bullies. Or keep them in separate pens. That's about all you can do. We have two factions of birds - the old gals and 'the fosters'. The fosters (they were given to us) used to be pretty aggressive but when we butchered the rooster that led their flock a few months ago it really changed the overall attitude of those hens. There are still some mean ones but they don't go out of their way to attack the old hens like they used to.

    Good luck in sorting it all out. She looks like a sweet girl. Like Warlock Sundance said - spoil her rotten as a pet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hobo,

    Thank you so darn much for all the useful information. We really appreciate it. We are going to do pretty much what you suggested..Build the new coop, add Matilda first, then slowly add in the banties.
    The really agressive ones are our Rhode Island Reds..they may one day find themselves in a pot..lol

    She really is a sweet chicken, loves to be held, and responds to our voices. I hate she is getting picked on so darn much. Poor little thing. I will update how she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea chickens could be so mean to each other. I guess I never paid attention to their social abilities when I was younger. I just knew it was a pain that I had to go feed em and there was a rooster I used to kick every time he attacked my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can be very mean to each other. But I am learning that Rhode Island Reds are especially more agressive then the other breeds we have. So note to self..that when and if you start up a coop...don't get reds..lol

      Delete
  5. keep matilda. rhodies are snake mean. give them away or keep separate. with kids you want good natured hens.
    also read long ago that a tsp of cider vinegar in the waterer keeps them from picking on the vents of the victims. may help, can't hurt.
    deb h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip. I did add some today to their water. Cider Vinegar is a cure all for lots of things... Will let all know how it works out.
      but, we decided today that we will put the reds into the new coop and keep them seperate from every one else. After these three kick the bucket and head off to that great fryer in the sky, we won't have them again.

      Delete
  6. I kept RI Reds for years, but then switched to Buff Orpingtons. Much calmer, rarely aggressive, easy keepers. Our Buff rooster is sometimes rough on the hens, but if you keep at least eight or more, it isn't a problem. We had enough until three skunks took up residence nearby. Lost three hens, but whacked the three skunks in exchange. We call ours "Bill Clinton", since he is won't take "no" for an answer, and sometimes isn't satisfied with simply mating. Fortunately, we do have one Blue (dress) Araucana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for that info. I like Opringtons. I think this is the first and last time we keep Reds...

      Delete