Sunday, April 23, 2017

Rainy Sunday

A cool and light,slow moving rain has settled in this morning, and I got up early to tend to all the animals before the heavier stuff starts. I apologize for the lack of posts lately...we have just been really busy around here.

Spring break came and went way too fast, but we got some things done. Like the new pen for the hogs. Senior took a couple of days off during that week so we could get it finished and move the girls in.


 They have nearly doubled in size since we first brought them home. It has been quite the experience...they are lots of fun to watch, and now that they have acclimated themselves to us, they like nuzzling up to us and even let us rub their backs and scratch their heads sometimes. We have decided to keep the spotted one, later in the summer we will start looking for a boar and hope to successfully breed her. Piglets are big money around here...especially the sows. The next building project is her own enclosure, we are going to put it right next to where her sisters are so they can still see and interact with each other. The two black ones are from a different litter then her and they over take the feeding trough and boot her out of everything. Those two will eventually be in the freezer....I guess that is poetic justice in a way because one day the spotted one could potentially eat the scraps of her bully sisters....


We have also been busy with the garden, got the corn in two weeks ago and the first sprouts popped though last week. We spent the money and time putting together a drip irrigation system which helps tremendously with watering and keeping the weeds under control. Then last weekend spent almost the entire evening on Easter Sunday putting in everything else like green beans, onions, squash, tomatoes, cabbage, a variety of different peppers, pickle bush cucumbers, and a load of cantaloupe plants. I hit the annual high school garden sale, and was only going to get 3 cantaloupe plants, but we had a cold snap the night before and they all looked crummy, so the lady said to take the entire tray at no extra charge just in case some don't make it...well, she obviously did not know me, I brought them home, loved them and gave them water and sunlight...and "POOF" they all came back so 12 plants went into the garden...hope all my friends and neighbors around here like cantaloupe..lol



We planted red potatoes in February and I have to tell you, the crop is looking very promising. Blooms have started to come out and I know with this rain that is moving in it will only help...


Last year the boys and I worked on a little garden area... Kind of like a memorial place for mine and Seniors parents, well yesterday we got out there and did some cleaning up and  added in pine needles. My gladiolas have broken through and blooms should start popping out any day..my mother loved her gladiolas I added them in just for her. And while they have not sprouted yet, I do have some elephant ears in there. It sits  outside of the kitchen window and I can look down at it and watch the birds on the feeders and even one pesky squirrel that wont stay off. The next thing to add will probably be a bird bath.  It is very nice here in the evenings, as it over looks the garden and faces west so we can watch the sun go down. There is an aspect of each of our parents in this little area, and it makes us feel closer to them.


Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday, now that the garden is in, all there is left to do is watch it all grow, so I hope to post more often and yes Senior and I are still working on the one project I mentioned in an earlier post...

-JUGM

12 comments:

  1. I remember when you folks were just getting settled in there. What a difference now. You've worked hard and come a long way. I'd say you are set up about as well as anyone could ask to be.

    The rain here has been steady but light since morning. I would imagine you will have a good soaking rain today,as our weather moves right on over you. I hope the fires down in Florida are not effecting any family or friends. They look pretty bad.

    Glad all is well with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harry! We havent seen much news this week...guess I better go turn it on. My sister did not mention fires so it must be in another part of the state.

      Delete
  2. Everything's looking great. Your garden sounds like it's off to a great start. Wow, 12 cantelope plants for the price of 3, can't beat that! Love the memorial garden. I love the look of pine straw in beds. Looks like the south to me. Oh, & please send some of that wet stuff our way. We are waaaay to dry & the fires are making my commute to the country difficult because I'm having to drive about 40 or 50 miles out of my usual way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez!! Just looked at news out of Central Florida...its bad.
      I will blow some rain your way...Just stay safe down there few weeks back when Bryceville had the bad fire my friends had to evacuate..just worry it could be a bad spring in reference to fires.

      Nothjng says deep south like pine straw. Lol. Thanks though, it really turned out pretty. Yes gonna have lots of cantaloupes just kind of wish dad was here cause he loved them..

      Delete
  3. Glad to read your post. I'm jealous over your garden, we are still a month away from being able to plant ours. The only thing that is popping up in our garden is last year's garlic.
    We have some flowers blooming, but the rain has been ridiculous this year. We might actually have 3 days on a row without rain. My BIL asked DH if/what he had planted in the garden, DH told him it would be rice if things didn't dry out.

    Love the piggy pictures. Was wondering how they were doing. That is an impressive house for them.

    I'll trade your squirrels. I have a black one that insists that the suet I have hanging in the birch tree is for him/her. I insist it is for the woodpeckers, and chickadees. The squirrels can have the cracked corn on the ground. We have daily conversations about it...me rapping on the window, him/her beating feet. One day I may have to administer a dose of .22 lead vitamin...we shall see. Stupid squirrel. The gray ones stay on the ground, and the little red ones don't live long around here...DH is on the warpath over them and the damage done to one of the old camper trailers.

    We had a piliated woodpecker who drilled out a good size hole in one of the birches, the flickers used it last year, the black squirrel was checking it out earlier this year, but the flickers came back, through out the stuff the squirrel put in, and moved in. Pretty funny.

    Your boys must be looking forward to summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg your Squirrels sound like ours. I got after the one today with a slingshot but a .22 may be in his future..they are crafty little devil's.

      We actually have cut down on the garden size this year But instead of blue lake bush green beans we have gone with runners so soon we will need to construct cages or etc for them.
      Pigs are a hot mess but fun..they are really becoming more sociable and very smart.
      Yes only 5 weeks of school left and boys can't wait. I hope thid summer is better then last year's..every other week was a trip to Florida to check on mom and dad...I felt so bad for the boys but they never complained and were real troopers..

      Delete
    2. PS: Thank you and glad you like the piggy house...soon we are constructing one similiar for our chickens..

      Delete
  4. Glad things are working out, and smart to move her before they completely turn on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have to stop giving them evening slop for the time being because everyone start biting and nipping at ears tonight.

      Delete
  5. JUGM,

    Oh Gurlie, I love the house Senior made for your pigs. it's really nice and gives them the protection they need from the weather. Look at those little faces.....you could just reach through the fence and scratch their little heads.

    You'll find having the drip irrigation system helps and makes life so much easier when tending to your garden. ~Ha~ obviously the woman at school doesn't know you......and that's to your advantage hehehehehehehehe......you now have 12 cantaloupe plants which will produce an amazing harvest.

    I'm so excited to hear you have put all your vegetables seeds in the ground. I can't wait to see pictures when everything starts coming up and producing.

    The garden y'all planted and dedicated to your parents is gorgeous, and a great place to relax, remember, and just be with your parents in heart and soul.

    Sending hugs and love to y'all.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect inspiration :) and what attention to detail! I admire and congratulate.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete