I have become quite the connoisseur of cast iron cookware. It is durable and beats the heck out of the cheap stuff you buy from the store. My collection is growing slowly, and one day I hope to display it all properly.
During our last trip to Carolina our friend Mr. Farmer took us to an auction of household items. The building was a transformed barn, very rustic, and drafty. But the kind of place you could not help but like.
We watched sale after sale, Mr. Farmer was racking up and out bidding quite a few people. In one of the last lots rolled out was a couple of cast iron pieces, when I saw that one was a teapot, I perked up. I punched Senior, leaned over and asked if Mr. Farmer could bid on it for me, he asked how high I could go. I had 25.00 available.
So thus it began, back and forth... It was awesome with the way he battled the other bidder, until the lady gave in and I won it. I felt like a little kid.
Then I got it home.. What a mess :
I researched the project online.Took off the lid and handle then soaked it in a solution of water and distilled vinegar:
Dried it out then began scrubbing with steel wool, and very fine sandpaper, for the spout I used a hard toothbrush.
I scrubbed and scrubbed for most of the week. Finally I have started seeing results of my preservation project:
I still have more work to go, but she is getting there. Above the water line is still a ring of rust, but slowly that is coming off. She looks nothing like she did when I first bought her.
I know some of you are saying " You could have bought a new one"
No, not the same.
When you work on something and do it yourself, you have a level of self satisfaction. Things have more meaning to them when you take the time to work on them. I like being able to say " Yea I did that"
-JUGM



A truly great find. Well done Mom
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob !
DeleteGurlie - i have a really great comment for you that will have to wait until tomorrow. because i showed the man your find and your work and now he won't stop screaming " you go JUGM! you go! reduce, re-use, recycle - yaaaaaaaaa!!!" he's now said it 25 times...and i must admit that it is getting a tad annoying! good job Gurl!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Well he can come down here and add some muscle power to all my scrubbing. Good Grief ! It has been a labor of love. Glad ole Jam is so excited. : )
DeleteNice find. You have more patience than I do with auctions though. I get so pissed at those things. It seems like everything I bid on goes for more than the new price and the stuff I don't bother with goes for a deal.... Very aggravating.
ReplyDeleteWhat would muratic acid do to remove that rust? Would it make the pot not useable?
We went just as spectators to watch the excitement.. I know slow night in the Carolinas..lol But then I saw the table with the kettle roll out and got perked up.
DeleteYes you can use Muratic Acid to clean it, but one has to be very careful of the fumes. I have researched cleaning cast iron so much and there are so many different methods that it is not funny. a layer of course salt and scrubbing with a potatoe is also popular and probably the next thing I try.
I love it! As a little girl I remember my Granny had one of these she kept full of water on the wood stove to keep moisture in the air during the winter.
ReplyDeleteYou have done a great job on that piece.
Thanks Mama!
DeleteI have one of those. I was told when I bought it that it was a sort of humidifier from long ago. You put water in it, and put it on a wood stove, then the water evaporated into the air. I have no way of knowing if that is true, though. Mine was pretty gritty when I got it and appeared to have been used in or near a fire, but it cleaned up nice.
ReplyDeleteMama Bear said her granny used one for that same purpose and it makes complete sense to me. I think this one was used near or on a fire, because the bottom seems a bit scorched, like it had been.
DeleteNicely done, and there IS a pride of ownership when one restores it yourself... Good on ya!!!
ReplyDeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteNow that's what I call a fabulous find!!! It's gorgeous, congratulations. Make sure you watch it, I maybe coming your way to borrow it permanently, lol
From your pictures and description, I must agree with those saying "GOOD JOB". Cast iron can be a pain to maintain, and mine has been a bit of a pest from time to time, but I must say you are doing a very good job of it as well.
ReplyDelete