One thing we aquired over Christmas was a Silkie Hen..We named her "blue" because of the markings on the side of her head...she is such a pretty girl, now I am in search of a black silkie roosters, they would make some gorgeous chicks:
Senior made these cool PVC feeders for the roosters , they work out well and reduce the amount of wasted food. next up is one for water.
Somebody decided she was going to strike a pose on a stump for me:
Everybody loves digging through fresh hale bales:
Who said dogs and cats can't get along here is Ruger and Jack the Cat snuggling together:




How did you get that chicken to pose so nice for you? Beautiful pics, thanks.
ReplyDeleteI am such a chicken nerd, I am always snapping pictures of them. she jumped up on the stump and stayed long enough for me to get a pic...
DeleteYour cat and dog appear well fed :)
ReplyDeleteHere's to lots of gorgeous chicks!! I am all for more gorgeous chicks in the world :)
JUGM,
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of your chickens! Congrats on your new Silkie Hen she's gorgeous......yep, have to get yourself some black Silkies and mate Blue. I'm sure you'll have some really beautiful chicks. Love this idea of the feeding and watering dishes. I bet you could sale a few of them too.....on Craigslist and the local feed store.
Chickens are so much fun just to watch and play with.
Do Ruger and Jack play well with each other? Years ago, my sister lived with me in Florida. Her cat and my dog played great together, and loved to tease each other. They would even playfully box each other. Not hard, the dog would gently pickup his paw and tap the cat in the head. The cat would look at the dog, and tap him in the head, this went on for several minutes, then they would play chase.
Hugs and love to you, Senior, and your Boys
Sandy
OMG let me tell you about Ruger and Jack... When jack was a kitten, he thought ruger was his mother and that blame dog would let him suck on his nipples... They have been like peas and carrots ever since.
DeleteLike your sisters cat and dog, we too once had a pair of females that would play that way...
We have to look more on the PC about doing the pvc water ones, I need those little nipple thingys. But those feeders are actually pretty common. Ideas and Instructions are all over the internet
Our cats like the bathroom, smallest and warmest room in the house. The 3 of them take over the bed during the day. We keep bundled up and warm. Sammy loves to cuddle and stay in feety PJ's all day.
ReplyDeleteWe have two boxers and the cat..At night Senior and I have to fight for a space in bed. Then i kick out the boxers and they go jump in bed with the boys..animals are so silly..
DeleteEvery time I see the weather from MN, I think of you guys and pray all is well for you..
love the chickies! Feel better soon!
ReplyDeletethank you!
DeleteChickens are so goofy sometimes. And there is always a 'ham' in the bunch.
ReplyDeleteYou will love your silkies! And she WILL go broody. They will try to hatch 'air' if allowed. Very determined little hens, excellent mama's and very sweet (unless they are broody... hahaha.... talk about grumpy). We had a Silkie-cross roo that was given to us and he was very sweet, too, and a good little defender of the girls.
We had some bug go through the household, too. UGH! So get well soon!
I do love my silkie, and I can all ready see the grumpiness, we keep her seperated from the other hens because they were all jumping on her and picking at her. When I go to clean out her pen, she does get a bit balastic.that pic was taken the day we got her, I need to do another one, because she has fattened up and her hair is all poofy like it should be. We essentially rescued her from the former owner, she was just a mess when she got here.
DeleteStill searching for the black silkie roo.. thought I had one for free, but I swear trying to get him was like going through an inquisition with his owners, so I gave up on that particular one..
so far and knock on wood I have been the only one sick...which is why I think this is more of a repsiratory type infection...hope your household gets well soon too!
If you can coax that rooster to lay down with that dog and cat, I'll be impressed...
ReplyDeleteGlad you're back, and yes, the work doesn't stop just because one gets sick...
ReplyDelete