Words of wisdom: Never travel to Florida after Christmas and Prior to New Years. I forgot about all the darn college football bowl games. OMG!!!!! Every one and their mother was going to Florida this past Friday.
Three miles from 95 on 26 the back up began. We first thought it was a major wreck. But no! From there on to the SC/GA stateline traffic maybe moved 10mph. We should have been there around 2ish. It was after 3 when we finally got to our hotel. *Sigh*
Then we were off and running to first visit old friends, then we decided to stop in and surprise my parents. No real change-Mom is still bad. But she was happy to see us, and I can tell the grandkids being there cheered her up a bit.
Saturday, Senior dropped the kids and I back off with my parents and went to visit our buddy Stephen. While they hung out, I tried to do things for my parents around their house while the kids were driving my mother wonky with their remote controlled helicopters, so much so that she insisted we leave. She was becoming agitated and was ready to rest. So, Senior picked us up and the four of us took off to some of our old stomping grounds. One place was to go crazy buying fresh shrimp to bring home and boil.
That evening, we all met at my sisters for dinner and to have "Christmas" with my family. Mom was not feeling well and only stayed for a short time. I kissed her and hugged her and hoped it was not for the last time.
The boys made out like bandits with my sister-ND got two Star Wars Lego Sets, and NW got 2 models. plus gift cards for shopping. She is a good Auntie!
Sunday we left to head back home. Only we were smart and once we crossed in to SC we got off 95 and took an alternate route. No traffic except the occasional old lady driving her buick to church. It was a peaceful drive and actually turned out to be a really nice weekend.
You know its always good to get away, but there is no place like home and no bed like your own. And as for that shrimp...yea we threw down last night with low country boiled shrimp and grits...
-JUGM

I'm a back road kinda fella....I avoid interstates as much as possible. We had a nice visit. I miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteMiss you and SW too. Senior is a back roads fella as well.
DeleteWere they humming the cry of the Valkyries tune while flying those choppers around?
ReplyDeleteNo...that is all my poor mother would have needed...
DeleteI like our traffic jams cause by cows on the roadway. But it sounds like you had a nice visit with your family.
ReplyDeleteYea in rural SC we don't have many traffic jams either. Ours is usually caused by some ole farmer moving his tractor from one field to the other... Yes we did have a good visit
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteThat is one thing I truly don't miss......traffic around the holidays. We always try to take the old country roads to get anywhere no a days just to avoid any traffic. I would rather deal with cows or steer in the middle of the road any day. In fact, one year BD Man and I were headed just outside of Fort Worth, TX to pickup our son, and head onto NM. Once we hit one of the old county roads a steer with large horns was ticked off and started running next to our rental car. I was afraid when he turned his head the horns would cause damage to the rental car. I told my husband how are you going to explain damage to the rental car when we return it. He laughed at me, and said this is a common thing outside in the country down here in TX, no worries. The rental company will understand. Silly me for worrying!!!
I'm happy to hear you and yours were able to visit family and friend during the Christmas break.
Country boiled shrimp sound really good, never had it with grits.
Hugs and love to you, Senior, and your Boys.
Sandy
Oh Sandy...yea you get some shrimps clean off the heads and boil them up in some shrimp and crab boil and its good eating. Good thing that steer did not give you guys the horn, that would have stunk.
DeleteHugs to you and BDM
The University of Minnesota is playing in Orlando. My old airline is flying a ton of people down. 3 flights in the AM and 3 in afternoon. Glad you had a good time.
ReplyDeleteWow..that's pretty nice of the airline. Yea it was a nice time. Hope your holiday was too.
DeleteThat looks pretty bad traffic wise. I imagine it felt strange to be back in Florida after living in South Carolina. Very different cultures.
ReplyDeleteSounds like everybody had a good Christmas.
It did the first time we went back there, but this last visit really wasn't. Plus we had a better hotel stay this time then the last.. except for the overly soft pillows.
DeleteHappy 2015! My family drove up from Florida for the holidays.
ReplyDeleteWe threw down with a fish & shrimp fry last night. :)