Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Dress

As you all know my niece is getting married in what is now just a couple of months. She will be a May Bride. I had the honor of going with her and my sister two weeks ago to do a fitting for her gown.
I browsed the store for a few minutes, looking at all the beautiful gowns, it made me remember mine and Seniors special day, and how I wished to pick one of these new creations out and do it all over again...then I looked at the price tag! 

While my niece was getting in to every thing, and after my day dreams of another wedding ended.  I sat out in the bridal shop and watched other happy "bride to bes" pick and choose among the racks of dresses. I remember when I was looking for my dress, that this was the most exciting thing about getting married...it was like playing "dress up" .

As I am a major people watcher I found entertainment in one girl who was a size 18 thinking she could get in to a size 10.
The poor sales girl could not tell her which gown to choose, only offer suggestions for other more better fitting ones. Every time the future bride tried on a tight fitting dress, you could see the sales girl hold her breath and hope the seams did not rip out. She asked for help in zipping up the back, but the zipper would only go so far of course.
Finally it was when the brides mother spoke up and stopped the insanity. Her daughter told her they could be altered..but the mother shot back with : "Yes, but even alterations have their limits..." 

By that time,  I got the cue from my  sister that my niece was ready:


She looked gorgeous ! Funny how a dress can transform a person.
The seamstress spent close to an hour pinning here and there,  and having my niece turn around over and over. She felt like a fairy princess, and honestly looked like one as well.
Finally we were finished, and upon our exit I saw that one particular "Bride to Be" was still at it with dresses.. *Sigh* That poor sales girl was definantly earning her comission.

-JUGM

5 comments:

  1. I suppose women have always liked beautiful things. I remember reading about a neanderthal grave found in Israel that was was tens of thousands of years old. It was a woman's grave, and she still had her ornaments and a little hollowed out horn with a red powder in it that they think was used as a kind of makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced if a man dies and is guilty of many sins of womanizing and fornication his eternal punishment will be to work as a clerk in a wedding dress store. Or maybe at the celestial furniture barn and bridal boutique or something like that.

    The Horror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUGM,

    Dresses are so outrageous in price now a days at bridal shops.

    My first marriage I had the beautiful white gown. I was a size 8 back then (many years ago). All the dresses in the shop were sized at 10 in the shop. If a woman loved the front of the dress they women would put her arms through it, have her step inside the dress, the clerk would zip the dress up as far as they could, and then measure the woman's body to get the perfect size. Then the clerk send out to the manufacture for the correct size.

    On my second (and final) marriage, we learned from our first marriage and went to the justice of the peace. Much easier and less expensive.

    It's always fun to people watch, including inside a bridal shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HARRY: That is very interesting... you are right, seems like women have always wanted to feel pretty.

    PP: lol.... what a torture that would be!

    SANDY: We saw dresses in the upper 5 digits...of course they were chained up and covered in thick plastic. If Senior and I ever renew our vows, we will go to vegas and have elvis do it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. And y'all wonder why 'we' run far away when y'all start talking wedding dresses... it NEVER ends well (for us)... :-)

    ReplyDelete