Thursday, October 23, 2014

Something Cool



This is something cool that an ole retired Navy Master Chief friend had on his facebook. My buddy OLD NFO likes to do a weekly post of different military posters. So I know this one would be right up his alley.

My dad and  uncle were a couple of guys like this. Dad was in during Korea, and had a saying : " I was in the Navy when Ships were wood and Men were Steel"

My Uncle was in the Navy during Nam and talks about his days along the Mekong Delta with lots of excitement. I guess despite all the politics surrounding the Vietnam War, he and his buddy's had fun and he has some good memories of camaraderie.

Senior's first 10 years in  the Navy was still fun but then during the second 10 years the PC crowd began to take over, and the good times like Chiefs Initiations and Shellback ceremonies  slowly began to fade and have become a shell of what they used to be. Soon I guess, they will be a thing of the past..... so sad  *Sigh*.

-JUGM

11 comments:

  1. JUGM,

    This poster is awesome! The Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Army was different when our fathers, uncles, and husbands were in. It is very sad how things change. We need to preserve those memories, along with our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly hate blogger and Firefox, it just closed me out.............grrrrr.......
      Love to you, Senior, and the Boys.

      Sent you and e-mail.

      Delete
    2. Thank you ma'am! I will go check it later.
      The PC crowd has screwed the military up so bad. It is not what it used to be.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. A person tends to remember the good things, and look back on those at quiet moments. The bad things, you just push into a corner of your mind. There's a famous quote from one of the Roman poets, I can't remember if it was Virgil or Livy, to the effect that men who had never been to the wars spent their old age secretly envying those who had. I think he was trying to put into words your thought on the good memories of comradeship, trite though it sounds in today's world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While some people live and thrive on bad memories there are those who put it away and focus on the good times. Kind of makes the bad times not so bad then..

      Delete
  3. I heard stories of the initiations way back when I was in high school from a retired LCDR who was my ROTC instructor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senior has so many stories he could write for a week....

      Delete
  4. Yep, that's a good one! And I've seen guys that could have posed for that one over the years (Prior to the beards and dungarees going away)... And it's NOT our Navy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when we visited the traveling wall last weekend, they had a pair of navy dungarees.. I was like : " senior look at this" ! lol

      Delete
  5. I don't know what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes you do! starting with the lady that was on Underwood with you...lmao

      Delete