Tuesday, February 24, 2015

last week ice...this week snow!

Sorry for my lack of posts. Senior has been working six days a week and I have been keeping busy with the chores around the ole estate. It warmed up, and then ole man winter returned in the wee hours of the morning... It started snowing. What a treat for us Florida Transplants.
Senior and I dealt with it while stationed in Connecticut, but it is a first for the kids. This light dusting would have shut down schools in Florida, but not here, much to the kids disappointment it was only delayed for two hours.

What is it about when snow falls, that everything seems so quiet and peaceful? I grabbed my camera and took a stroll around the property.. 



Mr. Woodpecker was looking for a warm spot:


Mr. Robin was hunting for some food. I think Robins are a sign Spring is coming...right? 


From what I understand, this is the calm before the storm...We have a prediction of  5-8 inches on Thursday...

18 comments:

  1. Yep, no more warm weather during the winter. but then its been cold in Fla. too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea the cold in Florida last for 24 hours, then it warms up for a week..roller coaster temps down there. What I always thought was funny are the people who head down there for the winter, not realizing it gets cold there too. They think there is this magic thing that once you cross in to Florida it is suddenly 80 degress all the tiime..

      Delete
  2. I think the robins do leave for the Winter but not sure you are far enough North yet for that. I know they disappear around here though. Actually I guess we are not THAT far further North but maybe a 100 miles or so does make a difference. If not send the damned things here LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just started seeing them making a return. Unless they got tricked in to thinking it was warm enough to return and then "splat" it turned cold again and snowed...

      Delete
  3. congrats to senior on job!
    we ended up with snow thn ice which is still here...
    did see our first robins today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roads never got snowy or icey so we were able to drive around, and during my driving around I did notice more and more robins showing up around town. but this one has been here for about a week, and he finally stood still enough today for me to get his pick..so pretty.

      Delete
    2. Thanks M.E. Yea Senior has started this new job, and working 6 days a week.

      Delete
  4. Yes it does look pretty & quiet. Please get rid of it before next weekend as I will be in your neck of the woods for 5 days at a quilt retreat. Hoping it isn't a problem next Friday (not this coming one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stay off the roads, they don't know how to drive in snow down there... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yesterdays snow did not stick to the pavement, so that was a plus. but with this new one, they have been out brining the roads, and hopefully school will be closed tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Pretty pictures. Robins are supposed to be a sign of spring but around here its when the blackbirds show up since there are a few die-hard robins that hang out during the entire winter. They sit on the fence and stare into the house windows trying to make us feel bad. ;-)

    Stay safe & warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one in the pic is one of those die hard robins...lol I guess he thinks its better to stick around instead of flying hundreds of miles to warmer weather..

      Delete
  7. JUGM,

    Yes Ma'am, Robins are the first signs of spring coming.
    Stay warm, be safe, and maybe after Thursday your boys will have no school......something for them to look forward to :-)
    I was us early this morning, peeled back the plastic on my onions. I'm hoping to water them, the sun is out for a little while (let them enjoy the sun), then I'll cover them up this evening before the big storm rolls through.
    Sending hugs, and love to you and yours,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at greenhouses the other day at tractor supply, they are portable and not so expensive, may pick one up soon. i do want to get my seeds started.

      I think you may be right about the robin, next week it is supposed to be in the upper 50s and 60s... Hugs to you guys as well ! hope your onions will be okay

      Delete
  8. our snow yesterday was so pretty, but tonight may be a different story. we're expecting 4 to 8". tonight it started snowing around 8:30 and now we've already had sleet. our son has missed two weeks of classes and will probably have to make it up during spring break...very different from Florida. lol
    keep warm and safe. :)
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. marie we literally were on that rain/snow line they kept showing on the news last night...what a bummer. they cancelled school today in anticipation, only we got no snow...just tons of heavy rain..

      I keep talking to senior about all the kids up near your way in Avery, and Wautauga counties who have missed so much darn school. I think it is funny that Charlotte schools have throwin the towel and not having any make up days, because they don't want to pay over time to the teachers and staff

      Delete
  9. We got a lot of snow here last night, Glock Mom. I hope it didn't pour down on you and your homestead like it did here. I really like your pictures. You must have a very good camera. I need to replace my ancient Walmart 64 dollar camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just commented over at your place. It started snowing very hard, every one here got all excited, the county even cancelled school for today in anticipation of the bad weather... but then, it turned over to the heaviest rains I have not seen since the summer, and washed all the accumulated snow away. Kids were sorely bummed today, being out and all and no snow to play in.. I got this camera a year ago this past christmas, it is a Fuji with 42x zoom. which means I can get a flea on a dog..lol go by yourself a new one

      Delete