Friday, September 4, 2015

things around here....

We got our fall garden in full swing, the other night I cut my first batch of "tendergreens" and the fall green beans are growing nicely.
ND wanted his own pumpkin patch, so when it came to getting the seeds, he went with the "Gigantic" variety. We planted them in early August, and now he has his first one growing.
I know they went in the ground a bit late to get anything really big, but honestly these plants grew like a weed on miracle grow, so it would not surprise me if he ends up with a big one..

 
If you recall this past spring, I picked up one Jersey Giant Rooster...he was so darn cute and fluffy, and the last one left, I could not resist buying him.  I had read about the breed, and learned they were very docile, and friendly...Well here is that Rooster now.  A couple of weeks ago, we put him in the main coop with all the mutt chicken ladies, and he has done real well adjusting. They were a bit nervous at first, but now everyone is happy.
The boys named him "Black Jack"
 
  
Since we liked Black Jack so much, the feed store got in another batch of Giant babies, I went back a month later to get 5 pullets. ( because I am thinking about breeding and selling them). A month ago I started getting suspicous that 2 were cockrels and darn I was right, they have just learned they can crow... so yes I have three Jersey Giant Roosters, and am trying to sell these two smaller ones..

 
You know when things get quiet that means something is wrong?.. I walked into the bedroom yesterday where we keep the dogs kennel, and there was Libby snoodling with Jack the Cat...this is the same cat she usually hates and chases around the house... 
 
 
The boys came across some creepy crawlies this week :
 


And Monday I was at the sink doing dishes, and this butterfly was fluttering around the bush outside.I grabbed my camera, stood on a chair over the sink to snap this pic through the window..

 
 
It has been really hot and dry here this week, but that is soon to change over the weekend, I guess a classic Nor'Easter is suppose to be setting up and it should bring us much cooler temps and rain. The Good Lord knows we need the rain here. I will  probably get out and do my happy dance if it does!  
 
Hope you all have a good weekend!
 
JUGM 



15 comments:

  1. Good for you on the fall garden! And, I hope ND's pumpkin grows big. Black Jack is a beautiful bird. Glad he's getting along with the mutts. Good luck on selling the other 2 cockrels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a gorgeous bird, I like watching him spread his wings out and thrust his chest forward. They get almost as big as turkeys. Once my mutt chickens are done laying and out of service, we are sticking with the Jersey Giants.
    I hope I can sell the two youngsters as well, but so far no luck. Fortunantly the only competition from them in the coop has been crowing...they are both learning and they sound sick...lol

    ND may not get a giant one...but I know it will be good sized. We just need rain though, very dry here and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will the boys get to go hunting with their dad when buck season opens up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would want to.....but since at this age they can't stay quiet for more then 4 minutes. I doubt he takes them. We have so many deers around here we can pick them off in our back yard...

      Delete
  4. LOL, that's an oopsie on the chicks... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely roo! And looks like an 'action' shot (like he was crowing). hahaha Keep them in a pen and fatten them up if they don't sell. Sometimes its hard to sell cockerels by themselves.

    Congrats on your fall gardening success! :-) Look forward to see an update on that pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was working up a ceow in that pic. We are keeping the younger roos and get them fat. They are pretty calm and so far there as been no fighting in the smaller coop where they are kept.

      I am having to keep the pumpkins watered since its been so dry here, we are hoping this one does do well.

      Delete
  6. Looks as if things are moving along well there on the homestead. I liked your pictures. I have no idea what that first green thing was, it looked plastic, pretty strange bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife knew what that thing was when I showed it to her, she is the big gardener in our family.

      I wanted to mention, if you have a mailing address you can email me, I will send your boys some nice aviation books with lots of good color profiles. I don't read them anymore and I'd like someone to have them that would enjoy them. A drop at a pack and wrap or any way you like is fine with me. I don't want to compromise your location.

      Delete
    2. So Harry... What is the green one called? Seen them quite a bit around here.
      Yes things are moving quite nicely around here. Broke ground for the new house today.

      Delete
  7. JUGM,

    I hope ND pumpkin patch provides him with a very, very large pumpkin or 2 before fall really sets in. That little pumpkin is so adorable.

    Your Black Jack is a really gorgeous looking Roo........love his coloring, and how he's standing with so much confidence.

    I'm praying for rain for both of us. We returned home last night to hear were expecting rain today in Oklahoma.

    Hugs, and love to you and yours!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkins are supposed to be the gigantic variety that can grow up to 200#s. We wll see though.
      I love black jack and his two little brothers..but OMG they have all started to sing.lol
      It's raining...I can't believe it.. Hoping u get some too!

      Much love to you guys...

      Delete
  8. Gurlie - i love all the pics but i especially love Libby and Jack the Cat! Black Jack is gorgeous and i hope that ND's pumpkin grows - he'll be very proud of himself! i'm with the Sweet Angel above in hoping that you get some rain!

    sending much love to you all! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my Gurlie! Jack the Cat and Libby crack me up... There are no words for those two...lol

      If we can keep the pumpkins happy then hopefully we will get a few off the vines. Supposed to rain a bit this week so we are all excited...

      Love to you and Jam.

      Delete