Friday, October 9, 2015

a reminder of why we prep

The South Carolina flooding is again a good reminder as to why we prep. The middle of the state that we have adopted has been devastated. Some people have lost barely anything, while others have lost everything.  My Aunt lives a block off the ocean in Folly Beach, her entire bottom floor was flooded, when I talked to her, she was in tears, one of the things that was destroyed was an antique doll house that my uncle bought her before he passed, it is irreplaceable. But while in tears,  her spirit still was not diminished, she knew others were worse off and had lost much more. ....she told me that even Hurricane Hugo wasn't this bad.

My faith in the human spirit has been a bit renewed as neighbor has been helping neighbor The donations are pouring in from everywhere. and I am happy to know that in a time of need, people can put differences aside and help others.




in 2004, while still living in Florida, in a two week period we were hit with several tropical systems. the local big orange store, announced that evening on the news, they were getting a shipment of generators. Senior, immediately rushed there to get us one. The next day, our area was hit, Power was out for a week. Fortunately we were one of the few who had a generator and was able to keep our fridge going, make coffee, and run some fans when needed.
That Thursday, the Red Cross announced they would be giving out ice, and sandwiches to those people in our neighborhood who were still without power. So, I went. and I stood in the long line that you so often see on the TV.  And what I witnessed made my stomach turn. People there only to get something "free" the items were not truly going to those in need. I left.
 Like Scarlett O'Hara eating a raw potato...I swore that day I would never be one of those people standing in line waiting for others to help me. That entire ordeal was a turning point for Senior and I. Buying that generator was the first step we took towards prepping.

Do you remember what triggered your concerns? Can you recall what it was that made you realize that you needed to be prepared?

Our prayers go out to all those people across the midlands of our adopted state that have lost so much with this disaster.


13 comments:

  1. A thunderstorm rolled through our town, and when I went to get a flashlight the boys had run the batteries down to nothing and no back up batteries too. Luckily, Row had a Thomas the Tank Engine light beneath his bed to light the way. A small catalyst, but I've mostly always been interested in preparedness. Family was a HUGE boost to getting my stuff together. I can't ever imagine telling my kids that we don;t have anything to eat....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not imagine telling our kids that either...as a parent that would devastate me.

      Delete
  2. I just wanna give a big shout out to Senior Chief for checking in on me down here in the middle of the state. I was well prepared, and really suffered not at all. Meant a lot to me that he thought of me. Now in the aftermath, I work at the Home Depot distribution center as a maintenance contractor, (keeping the equipment going) We are running wide ass open down here getting stuff out and onto trucks to the stores where needed. But again...thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Man your welcome. You guys have been in our thoughts. Glad to know you are all alright. Senior interviewed there a while back. But then he got on with his current employer.
      Hope this new round of rain has not been bad for you. I told Senior its Karma getting back for Carolina taking down the Confederate flag

      Delete
  3. hey Angel - i first started prepping in 1999 during the big ice storm which knocked out some people's power for up to 3 weeks! i had just gotten out of the military, but since i was working for the federal government i was allowed to keep my house on base. we were all safe on base as the base had several backup generators running. all of the military on my base, cfb ottawa south and another base across town, cfb rockcliffe were called out to deliver generators, shovel snow, clear roads, deliver food, set up tents, etc., etc. jamie had been working in the IT field for about 5 years, we hadn't met yet - but he was involved in a pile of planning for y2k and it scared him. we met in january 2001...after september 11 - we both knew it was time to start taking being prepared seriously. and that was our catalyst!

    i am glad that you all didn't suffer during this latest flooding. as i type, it has been raining all evening/night but we aren't worried - we have everything in place for a power outage or washed out roads and whatnot.

    it sure was nice for Senior to check in on Warlock Sundance - and i am glad that Warlock is ok, too!

    sending much love your way Gurlie, as always! so glad that you guys escaped the worst of it! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Base housing for some reason never gets hammered.
      Today right when things were dryjng out, we gat nailed with more heavy rain. The radar looks like a Christmas tree. Fortunately we are on a hill. My only worry is they delivered all the framing for the house yesterday. We covered some with tarps.I hope it will be okay....

      You guys stay dry up there.

      Delete
    2. Gurlie - covering with tarps was a good idea! jam always covers things with tarps and stuff stays pretty dry. the minute you see a break in the rain and some sun, take the tarps off and let framing dry out for as long as possible. it should be ok! sending love! xoxo

      Delete
    3. jam says to also "crib-stack" the frames...so that there is space between all of the wood so that it will dry faster and not rot.

      Delete
    4. Tell Jam thank you! We would.... But they are all bundled together. They came from the lumber yard that way. Hopefully the carpenters will be there tomorrow to start framing...

      Delete
    5. gotchya! well here is hoping that the carpenters get there soon. your framing should be fine! good luck hon - it is going to be exciting watching your new house go up. pics - pics- pics of the whole process! much love Gurlie!

      Delete
  4. I saw Senior's post from earlier this week. It was really sad about those sailors on that ship. Ithe reminded me of the Edmond Fitzgerald from back in the 70's.... speaking of which the anniversary of that it right at a month away, I think.

    Anyway I knew from his post you guys were ok, but I had been wondering what you were thinking about all this.

    Just 3.5 hrs north if you, we got some rain, but nothing like what they were predicting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredibly sad..especially as more details emerge. My brother in law was talking about the Fitzgerald the other day and how this reminds him of that.

      I am thinking how grateful we are it wasn't us in all the flooding and happy we have preps in place and won't rely on the government. What is worse is most of the people who lost their homes..didn't have flood insurance, since they were not in a designated flood zone. Now today, more of the same in SC

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your safe. My fellow Civil Air Patrol members have been flying all over your state doing damage assessment and taking thousands and thousands of images for the State and Federal Officials. If you see any of our little red, white, and blue Cessna 182's and others we are up and flying because we all care. I wish I could be in SC to help too. There are air crews and planes from neighboring states helping too.

    ReplyDelete