No we did not can deer meat with bacon all in the same jar! I knew from my title that some of you might think that. There was no actual deer meat involved. Only bacon. If you have been over to my better half's page lately (Seniors Mess) you would see the blog post he did on our recent bacon canning venture. The next morning we opened a jar up, fried it with some eggs and it was quite tasty.
I am only writing about it, because I posted it to facebook. I was a little surprised at how many comments I got in support of this prepping venture, one of my like minded gun toting friends even shared it on her facebook page, and tagged a couple of her other friends in it..
But as with everything there is always that ONE person that can't understand why we do these things... In this case she is a friend of my moms, and we have known her for well over 40 years.
She simply asked " But Whyyyyyy"????? just like that.
I sweetly replied back to her that in the event of long time power outages whether it is man made, or natural, my family would like to be able to have some nice crispy bacon and not have it all go bad in the freezer. She has yet to respond...
Now the deer part of my title comes in... hunting season is over and the deer seem to sense this as they have been coming out more frequently. So, we set up the trail camera, and baited parts of the garden with a water trough, and corn. It took a few nights but the herd found its way here. This morning I was taking the dogs out and Libby caught site and chased about three of them from the garden. later I checked the trail camera. In other pics off to the right you can see the legs of another doe. I wonder if there is a big buck hanging out with them...
We had a our big ice and snow storm a couple of weeks ago now, and as I guessed it fizzled in my area. Ended up being more ice then anything. But it made for some great pics. I took this one going down the road, it has gotten quite a few compliments:
The thermometer was tilted the other way now, we have been seeing record highs and I wonder if winter has remembered we are still here. Sucks wearing shorts in the middle of January. But, I will take it as the heating bill has been quite low.
Hope you all have a wonder day....and smile on Friday we get to wave goodbye to BO.. : )
-JUGM
That is a beautiful photo. Worth framing in my opinion. I was hoping you had canned some venison. It's on my rador someday. I'll be in your neck of the woods in early Feb. Yep, another quilt retreat at the B&B.
ReplyDeleteMy sister likes that B&B. They stayed there a few months back.
DeleteCanned venison may be in our future, i think the next thing is canning ground beef.
Lacking your skills, I have to buy Yoder's canned bacon. It's expensive, but it's very good and keeps forever. When I was in the Boy Scouts, in the mid 1960's, you could buy canned bacon at any grocery store, but now I can only get it on line.
ReplyDeleteI sure do like that picture you took.
I can remember camping with my parents as a six year old, and the canned bacon was awesome! Still wish it was sold at my grocery store.
DeleteI haven't checked any of our stores but we saw online at walmart yoders canned bacon was around 19.00 a can.
DeleteHarry- I like how that pic turned out too. the only thing good about ice is the way the sun reflects through it and makes the trees shimmer like crystals....very pretty.
DeleteHere is Arkansas, you are almost guaranteed a January weekend that is great for backpacking in shorts. A few weeks later the ice is 2 inches thick on the power lines and trees...
ReplyDeleteOne of my Florida friends is from Little Rock and just moved back near there, she was telling me the same thing.
Delete41 here today in the North Woods. Just wanting for the other shoe to drop again....Stay Safe
ReplyDeleteGo over to Rural Revaluation and try Patrice's way of canning bacon. I've tried both ways and hers is far superior. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteNow I'm going to have to try canning BACON!!!!
The bad weather by passed us as well, I think we're better off with all the moisture from the rain we received.
Great picture of the countryside and clouds rolling in.
Love it when there's deer on the property. I'm pretty sure she was checking out your garden :-)
Sending hugs and love to you and yours.
Sandy
Gurlie your pic is what we call up here "silver thaw" - it's whenever the trees get the ice coating on them but there isn't much snow - it's a beautiful pic and i am not surprised that you got a lot of comments on it on FB. as for your mother's friend...some people will just never understand. you just gotta shake your head at them.
ReplyDeletesending much love to you all! your friend,
kymber