Monday, November 11, 2013
Veterans Day: A True Story
We spent the past weekend up at the Country Estate. Knowing Veterans Day was coming up, Senior wanted to put American Flags on the graves of our family who had served, including his Dad.
So, yesterday I was a woman on a mission, searching high and low for four small flags.
I was of the thinking that it was Veterans day, it would be a no brainer and every one out there would have them.
But, I soon found that idea to be very wrong. I am sad to say that not one of the stores I was in was recognizing the reason behind todays holiday.
Walmart did have flags, but only one the size I was looking for, and that was perched up high, I had to climb on the display to get it down. A snotty walmart employee looked at another shopper and said " She must be desperate for a flag" I gave her "The Look" .
I walked up to the check out, every one in front of me had carts full. A nice elderly lady in front of me, turned and smiled and asked if the small flag was all that I had. I said "yes ma'am" and she allowed me to go in front of her.
I thanked her repeatedly for her kindess. And it was then that she and I began a conversation about our Flag, and the countries veterans. I told her about how hard it had been for me to find a small flag and what it would be used for.
She then said to me :
" It was not until I saw you with the flag that I remembered tomorrow is Veterans Day. I can remember how as a child, every thing shut down, people would line the streets for the local parade. Us girls got giggly over the boys in uniform, and I married a soldier who served in Korea. Our country has lost what our Flag means, and what our veterans sacrificed to keep America Free, Now this blame Obamacare is threatening the weak and elderly, If I get cancer, I will have no coverage, it is like they just want us to die. I don't recognize my country anymore, and tomorrow...it is a day to celebrate and thank our vets, and no one really remembers that anymore"
She smiled remembering days gone by and then her eyes teared up.
I completely agreed with her,smiled and expressed my sentiments as well. The line started moving, and I told her to thank her husband for his service, She blessed me with a good day. I then thanked her for the conversation. And I was on my way.
It is always remarkable about the people you meet, You never know about them, or what insight they can bring you. I got in the truck, with my one little flag. I told Senior about the little elderly lady and our conversation. And then I knew I had to share it with all of you.
I Want to Thank all the Veterans for their service, And Thank You to the families for sacrificing your loved ones to fight for America, and to keep our Country free....
-JUGM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I totally agree with you.
ReplyDeletePeople have forgotten what has been sacrificed for them. It's sad. It's also a shame that Boy Scouts is the only place where The Pledge of Allegiance is regularly done.
ReplyDeleteI have been pretty happy thus far with our kids school. they still say it every morning.. Atleast until they are probably up in middle and high school.
DeleteLike that sweet elderly lady you met, I recall the Veterans Day celebrations, when national pride was strong and true. And we as a nation honored our soldiers and sailors. And remembered how they fought and died for us. And were grateful for it. Some of us still are.
ReplyDeleteThank You Vicki!
DeleteThank you for sharing her story; it is sad that it is also shared with so many others who faithfully served our country and now see the direction it is heading. Thank your husband from me for his service and thank you for your part in his service; those that serve that have a family, the family does indeed serve right along with them, even though they may never leave their home.
ReplyDeletebetty
Oh yes the family does serve right along side of them.. I remember one year senior was gone almost 354 days. It totally stunk!
DeleteThe worst part was walking in to a lonely house after dropping him off at the ship. But the best parts were homecomings..
a wonderful post. Yes Americans do forget. Funny thing is its the family's that remember and need to remind the others.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob!
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this beautiful post. Please thank Senior for Bulldog Man and I for his service.
It's hard to find small flags in Wal-Mart, Target, or any other retail store. I did however find smaller flags at Hobby Lobby, in the section for 4th of July.
The elderly have a lot to worry about with insurance being cut and larger payments. Most elderly are on fixed income.
Americans need to stand proud, support their country, and remember all Veteran's who have fought for our freedoms.
Sandy,
DeleteI think next 4th of July, I am going to stock up so we are not going through this search again. Just really sad though that it did not mean more to retailers.....
I worry about all the elderly and weak- those like the lady I met and my parents...it is really going to hurt a lot of innocent people.
We have Confederate Memorial Day here in April and we never have any trouble getting Confederate flags to put on the soldiers graves. Seems odd there wouldn't be enough American Flags. But like that old lady said, a lot of people don't pay Veterans Day or Memorial Day much heed anymore.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome that you can buy them to put on graves... I like to get extras and go around and see who served and add a flag. I am teaching our boys to do the same..
DeleteI was amazed the kids had school and the stock market was open. It is now more important to celebrate MLK day than Veterans Day. Hmmmmm.
ReplyDeleteYa know..when we were headed home yesterday we thought that the schools were in session up there in Carolina. I said "no way" but senior was like "yea...look at the parking lots'
Deleteit just floored me, and makes me think about home schooling again...
Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome...and Thank you too!
Deletethank Senior for his service for me! but i also thank you for your service in being his wife and keeping the family and household together while he served! i wish more people recognized the families, wives or husbands, who sacrifice just as much as our veterans and/or serving soldiers.
ReplyDeletei can't believe that you had such a hard time finding some flags - that is sad. and the lady you spoke to was right - i remember when Remembrance Day was a really big deal. when i was younger, we had a town parade and then everyone went to their community legion. us kids would serve the veterans and there were many stories told.
your friend,
kymber
Some towns still do parades, usually the bigger ones with larger city budgets.
DeleteYes, just sad that folks can't properly remember those who fought and died for them to keep them free....