Thursday, May 17, 2012

Remember This Day... May 17th 1987


 Many people out there do not know the significance of this day in our countries naval history for it was on this day in 1987 when USS Stark (FFG-31) was struck by two Iraqi Exocet Missiles in the Persian Gulf, killing 37 Sailors and wounding 21. Brought under control, she sailed to Bahrain and was later repaired at Ingalls Shipbuilding, Mississippi. Following subsequent tours in the Middle East area, Stark was decommissioned in 1999 and later scrapped in 2006.

The USS Stark's story is something I posted about back in November: Veterans Day-Pt. 3: The USS Stark
Senior and I are both from the home town where she was home ported, and I remember well the constant news coverage. I remember seeing the families and feeling their pain of knowing their special sailor wouldnt be returning home to them.

Senior and I were fortunate throughout most of his career to be stationed at the same home port. I can remember seeing the USS Stark pier side, and thinking about how that day must have been, and how agonizing it was for the surviving crew to work tirelessly to keep her afloat.

The Navy commissioned a memorial park in her honor and in the honor of those who were lost. We passed it many times a day while on base, and later Senior would hold a re-enlistment ceremony there.

5 comments:

  1. I remember that day, but not the date. I remember the USS Cole too. So sad that people want to kill us because we have different beliefs in ones GOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Rob, all because of a different countries faith and beliefs. But the story of the USS Cole should really piss Americans off, because Clinton sat back and did nothing.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for reminding us. I would not have rethought about these Sailors or their families today if you hadn't. They deserve that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your very welcome.. what is a shame is that I have searched the websites for all the local new stations here..and there is NOTHING about it, and she was home ported here... : (

    ReplyDelete
  4. like agirl said...thank you for reminding us of the sailors and families who suffered on that day...some of whom are still suffering. my deepest respect and appreciation goes out to all of them.

    i am sad to hear that none of the local news stations have put up an in memoriam article. that is really sad!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete