Weather was great, company was awesome. We rode bikes, and ate too much. Especially ice cream and dutch oven peach cobbler.
Kids wore themselves out playing and driving Rebels teenage daughter nuts... They always wanted an older sister, this past weekend they got the experience of what it was like to have one.
Then her boyfriend showed up.....
Saturday we rode our bikes into the historical section of Jekyll Island. This was the playground of the rich and famous during the late 1800's and early 1900s.
It is the birthplace of the Federal Reserve aka : "The Beast of Jekyll" and the spot where in 1915 the very first transcontinental telephone call took place.
"Millionaires Row" is here, that is the lane with the cottages of folks like the Rockefeller's, Goodyear's, J.P Morgan and others.... Below is a pic of the infamous "Jekyll Island Club Hotel" A place full of scandal, and history. You had to be a member of the club in order to build a cottage here. Which meant you had to have money, and lots of it.
Another "summer cottage" of one of those rich evil capitalist....
Libby came along for her first camping trip, she was a hit and loved by Rebels family...
I took ND over to the local pier and we saw that a great white had swallowed a witch, he thought it was funny and wanted me to snap a pic...because its not every day a kid see's a witch coming out of the mouth of a shark.
Sunday morning came and it was time to say "bye" and "see ya later" to our good friends, and one of my favorite places to visit. Hopefully it won't take another year to go back, camp , and hang out with good friends...
JUGM






JUGM,
ReplyDeleteThe entire 20 years of living in Florida, I never visited Jekyll Island. I hear it's a lovely place to visit. Oh, I'm glad to hear the boy's enjoyed having your friends daughter to hang out with for a while. I know Libby enjoyed herself going some where new to check out. We try to bring our dog with us every time we camp or travel.
The boys made paper airplanes and the teenage daughter went along with that.
DeleteLibby is our baby, we board our large male boxer because he is just too big, and suffers from anxiety issues when we take him camping...basically he is a real spaz.
Sounds like you all had a good time which is great!!!
ReplyDeleteA shark eating a witch is always photo worthy :)
I know right! not every day you see a pic like that....
DeleteWe've been to Jekyll Island only once, son was only eight. It is beautiful there. Glad you enjoyed yourself!
ReplyDeleteThe historic section has not changed at all. But out in the modern area, they are remodeling, adding new shops and hotels, etc.. and the toll booth has moved prior to going on the bridge instead of when you come off of it...
DeleteLooks like a great place to go camping and hang out with friends!!
ReplyDelete(do really seriously think about going back to church. I heard a sermon a few weeks back about parenting. One of the things the pastor stressed was having a good group of friends for kids as they grow, someone who knows them and they might feel comfortable coming to rather than their parents when they get in those awkward teen years. He suggested parents partner with a church so kids have good groups of friends, youth minister to help mentor, etc. He is not advocating, of course, that the church raises the kids, but rather as an adjunct walking alongside the parents. Might be something good to get the kids into something they are comfortable with at their age that they are comfortable being at in those "wonderful" teen years :)
betty
Hey Betty...glad to see you back. Yes it is a nice, local place to go to. without having to spend a lot of driving time to get there.
DeleteI am thinking and praying about church. I know I need too. Just goes back to issues when I was growing up in church, and dealing with organized religion.
You folks do a lot of camping, and in some nice places. I have often thought I'd like to have an rv, not a trailer but one of those purpose built one's that is a truck with living quarters on it. I'm not much for the tent camping anymore and I know my wife would not do it. But she says if we get an RV she will go. Your posts on all the trips you take are making me think I ought to be looking around for the right vehicle. I liked your dog, by the way.
ReplyDeleteWe try to go as much as we can. In the summer months though it is just too darn hot here. And now with Seniors dad having passed away, the majority of free time has been spent going back and forth to SC every few weeks or so..
DeleteYou and the Mrs. should get something and hit some of the campgrounds in your area, wether they be State parks or private, everything has something to offer. And its a change of scenary....
What a great weekend! We used to go camping at the drop of a hat. I even had all the gear ready for tent camping so all I needed to gather up was the groceries. LOL I just read that and realized I'd described a BOB or would it be a COB?
ReplyDeleteEither way spending time with good friends.... Priceless
tent camping is when It hits the fan, and we can't pull the camper off road... then we do tents...lol
DeleteI think that would be COB... I have a high level of knowledge of those.. lol
Jekyll Island... Ah the memories... My first duty station was NAS GLYNCO (Brunswick, GA), we partied on Jekyll almost every weekend in the summer! Fun place, and glad y'all had a good time!
ReplyDeleteJekyll is awesome because it is not highly commercialized, and therefore foot traffic is at a minimum.
Delete