Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Condi Rice and the NCAA



"All she knows about football is what somebody told her," he said on the air. "Or what she read in a book, or what she saw on television. To understand football, you've got to play with your hand in the dirt."   - Pat Dye

If you do not know the back story to the above comment, Condalezza Rice was recently appointed to the inaugural selection committee for the NCAA college football playoffs which begins in 2014.  She with other members will sort through team stats, records and strength of schedules to determine who should be selected to participate in the four team playoff system.
It has been said in certain circles that she is not qualified to be on this board because she has not played the game or coached the game.

To those folks who say that, I would like to remind them that many coaches never played the game.
As well as the  majority of sports commentators, But yet they are on the air every Saturday and Sunday dishing out analysis and acting like they are old pros. Most fans of the game never played but we could go toe toe with marking Xs and O's on the black board.

Or, is it something more ? Does this go back to the old school that she is a woman, and this is a mans game? Or is it even more that she is a black conservative female, which is rubbing some folks the wrong way. Since her appointment, her name has been crucified on social media... 
Where is the National Organization for Women? They should be rushing to defend Ms. Rice.
Where are the voices of all the woman sports commentators, who cried until they were allowed access in to mens locker rooms to do an interview?

Isn't all this about womens rights and equality? It is what the feminist wanted, now they got it, and no one from the movemenet is out there to speak in favor of her appointment. Except, those of us who see what is going on, and see the good ole double standard at play.


-JUGM






13 comments:

  1. There is certainly a double standard. Of course in Rice's case the reverse worked in her favor as well. She is intelligent and conservative but in many ways she wasn't qualified for the position Bush gave her either so while NOW maybe ignoring her, her race and gender opened some huge doors for her regardless.

    As for the football thing I honestly don't know enough about it to formulate an opinion anymore. I played in High school and witnessed a very good friend who was in my opinion one of the finest running backs I ever saw get totally trashed and turned down by every good college he pimped himself out to because he was a White Kid because of course only Blacks can be running backs. I stopped having anything to do with College or pro sports after that.

    And I can't believe I am not on your blogroll. The horror.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Rice was more qualified for her postion then the occupier and chief.
      I guess what just bugs me is that had Rice been a white liberal female, and called the names I have seen and read, then it would have been all over the place. But because she is who she is, it is ignored.
      And it is really wrong.

      Yes correct about the running backs, as well as every other postion. All though here lately, there are some really good white players in the non traditioinal positions that are coming on strong.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Race can back fire, when your not a liberal.

      Delete
    3. Oh I certainly agree with both of you about the double standard and how she is left out in the cold because of her politics by many so called Women's groups.

      Delete
    4. Rob: I agree !

      PP: Which is the point of my post.

      Delete
  2. My Bad I am... just didn't see it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. put your glasses on.. : )

      i just saw some folks listed I thought I had deleted, better go back in a do a sweep ...

      Delete
    2. OMG don't mention glasses you actually hit a bullseye. Very sad. My eye sight seems to get worse by the hour these days I think.

      Delete
    3. I am right there with you.. Stinks getting old.

      Delete
  3. I think the feminist movement is only supportive of left wing Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Harry! When it is a right wing lady, all you hear is crickets.

      Delete
    2. JUGM, and Harry

      You've got that right!!

      Delete
  4. Isn't all this about womens rights and equality? IT is, but ONLY if you fit their agenda...

    ReplyDelete