Some times we get laxed when thinking about our four legged family members If a natural or man made disaster should occur. Ideally if we needed to bug out I would love to take the dogs with us for extra security, or God Forbid we needed them for a food source. So, Senior and I decided to start being a little more diligent in prepping for them as well. We purchased some 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids. Then stocked up on 55# bags of food :
We tried to get a pic of the doggies facing the camera, but no one wanted to cooperate...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on to other stuff. Last Thursday NASA launched the ATLAS communications rocket, We use to go outside and watch the Space Shuttle launches all the time, and have missed the activity since ole "you know who" had the program shut down...
So we take what we can get. We are approx. 100 + miles from the Cape, so the initial pic looked like a little red dot , then I did some photo editing and this is the end result...thought it came out pretty cool:
Last evening high clouds rolled in to make for some nice sunset shots:
Almost looks like the woods are on fire:
I keep telling the wife pet food storage is her domain since she is so motivated to take every stray in that turns up. She can barely manage to keep them supplied now when it comes crunch time well.......
ReplyDeleteGood for you that you are looking ahead for the puppies. My current plan is to start feeding cats to the only useful dog we have around here.
well when the dry food runs out, then it is squirrels and other rodents, once that supply diminishes then it is on to feral cats...
DeleteI will try to sustain the dogs for as long as possible...but if that day comes, when it is us or them...well, I guess it will be fido on the barbie
Thanks for reminding me about the pets. I bought our cats a 14 lb bag of cat food last month. It will last until next month. I will buy 2 bags keeping one in storage.
ReplyDeleteThe thing I enjoyed the most about living in Florida was the Shuttle launches. It it was the middle of the night we would go outside just to watch the launch from Kissimmee. We even saw a launch through the clouds while at Disney. The twin sonic booms from reentry would send a chill through my whole body.
I miss the shuttle launches so darn much. Even from my location we could also see the boosters seperate. The night ones were always the best.
DeleteThere was a few times when they would go over us while landing and we could hear that sonic boom..totally cool.
Let us know how storing of the dog food works out in the buckets. I just tried storing a few extra bags in the barn and it went rancid pretty quick. Don't know if it was due to the oil content or what. Maybe in buckets it would be an improvement? I canned some grilled hamburger patties in barbecue sauce that was pretty nasty tasting. I have those marked as dog food......hahahaha
ReplyDeleteGreat! i did not consider that. But I think it will keep better in the buckets with these lids. I do have some super extra large mylar bags, I might try that with a few oxygen eaters...
DeleteI never have any luck when I can meats...it always taste dy and icky....
JUGM,
ReplyDeleteGreat idea with the dog food. I've bought extra food for my animals, and placed the food in food saver bags with oxygen absorbers stored the food in a cool dark place and haven't had issues with bugs, rodents, or have the food go rancid. Have you considered making your own dog food?
When we lived in Florida, we would watch what Cape Canaveral would launch, nothing like watching a piece of history. Then we moved to Oklahoma, and hubby worked on contract there at NASA.
the mylar bags with oxy eaters may be my next thing to try. No have not thought of making my own dog food, But it is a thought.
DeleteMy Brother in Laws Sister has been a big wig at NASA for years, then she got laid off, but now she is finally back with them again.. She lives in Houston. When they filmed the movie Apollo 13 she was one of the lucky ones to help train the actors, she met Gary Sinese, and Tom Hanks...she said they all had a real blast with them..
You should certainly keep those pooches well fed....well feed dog sizzles very well on the grill. BTW, SW has your Christmas card with the boys pictures posted on our refer....they're cute as bugs in a rug.
ReplyDeleteawwww that is sweet ! I may have to send her some baseball pics when we get them done...
Deleteyes that is the idea...to keep them fed well, and fat..so if the day should ever arise...well ya know
Gurlie - i am glad that you did this post as lots of people don't think to have food stores for their pets. we have been trying to get our cats to start eating some of the trout that jambaloney catches and sometimes they will eat it and sometimes they won't. we are also trying to start feeding them a little bit of raw meat every now and again. i am not too worried about them not being able to eat if SHTF, and they are really good mousers and vole catchers so if worse came to worst, they can feed themselves. but it is good to have stores for when the time comes to give them a chance to get used to the idea of having to feed themselves.
ReplyDeleteanyway, all of the pics are gorgeous but i really love the trees on fire one!
your friend,
kymber
I don't worry about our cat Jack either, he has all his claws, and all ready likes to hunt lizards, so I know he would go after mice and etc...
DeleteI just worry about the pups, they are actually our first line of alert if anything goes wrong or some one is approaching, I would love to keep them healthy as long as possible when and if the time comes.
Great idea...and the pics are great especially the woods on "fire".
ReplyDeleteThank You ! : )
DeleteThey were boresighted on the food... :-) And nice pics!
ReplyDeleteThe brown female is a little piglet, she bullies big brother ( white one) and pushes him out of the way to get to his dish after she has finished her dish..Yea she rules the house.. lol
DeleteGreat pics! Were not planning to eat our pups...lol. After we get moved moved we're definitely buying extra food for them. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Marie! I suspect you all are starting to move? I dread the packing...ugggg
Delete