Monday, May 5, 2014

A Weekend Away..



We took the kids out of school on Friday, said "good bye" to the rainy weather that has been plaguing Florida, and headed up to the South Carolina Estate.
Weather was gorgeous the entire weekend. Blue skies, a warm breeze. Spring is in full swing, and the trees had all filled in with leaves and were just so darn green...
I love this time of year there. Every thing is just so alive...

Mr. Farmer gave us some okra and green bean seeds. The boys wanted to plant them in the garden. But Grandpaws ole Farmall is currently out of order. I told them we would have to do the digging manually, so I gave them each a hoe and told them to go at it.
This isn't a violation of child labor laws is it? The thing about it is, they actually enjoyed it. NW loves fried okra and couldn't plant his seeds fast enough.


With the planting of these two new crops,  it sealed the deal on the boys and I spending the summer there. Some one has to be there to take care of the garden, so we will head up after school is out later this month. They are thrilled over the decision.
I am hoping this will encourage my parents to get up and out of their house. A change of scenery will do them both a bit of good, plus there is plenty of room there for them to walk around and not feel so confined.
My uncle lives about 60 miles north of the estate, and is hoping my parents visit as well, he just had a pond put in on his property, and  stocked it with bass and some other stuff. Uncle C is hoping dad will join him in a day of fishing. 

Now we are back home, boys in school...house is quiet for the moment--time to let out a deep *sigh*

-JUGM

13 comments:

  1. The summer in SC?? Sounds great to me. I am so happy that we now live in a farm community. Is so stress relieving is it not?? Glad the boys had a good time. No leaves here yet but by months end they should be in full bloom. have a good week JMOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...now that we have some of this stuff planted some one needs to be up there during summer. Yes it is quiet, peaceful, and you see every star at night. And yes.... very relaxing up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wondrful place for a summer vacation! I just love the first picture. It's so... GREEN. Good to hear the boys are already on the move for summer fried okra! Do you have a dehydtator? You can dry okra and it is wonderful in the middle of winter to cook up a batch. It's one of my favorites for drying because when you re-hydrate it it comes back almost exactly the same as when it went in. Down to the slime even!
    Enjoy your vacation and do keep us posted ok? Pictures are good too. *wink*
    Sci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not get over how green is all was. I was last there in March, and the difference was stunning. I do know they have had quite a bit of rain.
      I do have a dehydrater andThanks for the idea of dehydrating the okra...I personally do not care for it. But Senior and the boys do. So, I will try that for them.
      No DSL up there, so I will have to do post via my smart phone..but yea, I will do updates

      Delete
  4. Time on the farm will NEVER be wrong... Teaching them how to grow and harvest things is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually liked working in the garden...My goal in life is to turn the hose on them while they are working in all that red clay...it would be fun! Every kid needs to experience that at least once in life..lol

      Delete
  5. Gurlie - wow! it really is very green at the estate now. our green will be coming soon and i just love it! i am so glad that the boys are learning how to plant and grow....those are good skills to learn as children and who knows, with the way the world is going, it may be a much needed skill in the future. regardless, they seem to enjoy it and it IS fun! i am glad that you will be at the estate for the summer! Senior will come up on weekends, i imagine? much love to you and yours, always!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly green up there. Mr. Farmer told us they had received quite a bit of rain, and it shows. It all looks so lush like you want to take off your shoes and run in it..lol
      With the way this world is going Kymber, the planting skills will come in handy. Plus they currently liked it, I am not sure how long that will last though. Once they are teenagers...who knows! lol

      Delete
  6. JUGM,

    Beautiful countryside up there at the SC Estate. The boys will totally enjoy themselves up there for the summer. So much they can do out in the country, watch out Mom....you may have some surprises the kind which involve little critters boys like placing in interesting places in the house :-) to scare Mom.
    How were your onion and sunflowers doing up there?
    If you like lettuce, it grows very fast (like 4 days) after planting. Same goes with spinach, and a few other leafy type vegetables.
    I can also see the boys enjoying fishing up at your uncles place.
    Sending hugs to your family.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sandy..we all ready had one surprise, a possum found a small hole in the underpinning of my father in laws trailer, it climbed in and died..ugggggg. It stunk!.

      I grew lettuce down here in Fl last year, and it was deliciious, I gave a few heads to neighbors who did not know how to react over it, and not having it store bought.. It was so good too!.
      The onions and sundlowers are doing good...the sunflowers are about calf high right now, but it was weird, something bit the tops of them clean off...
      Boys all ready want a tree house , and yes they do want to go fishing at my uncles, and at our friend Mr. Farmers house. He has nearly 70 acres with a pond as well...so I am sure we will make a trip or two during the summer to fish.

      Delete
  7. I bet they have a blast!! I mean everybody....

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, she failed the mention the dead possum I had to remove from under the residence. Of course I had to do it while dry heaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right..I am sorry I forgot to mention that. I know it stunk, I love you and Thank you!

      Delete