Thursday, August 28, 2014

Jugm's and Seniors Cluck Factory....

First began with the idea to transform the former porch of the mobile home we demolished into our coop. But Good Lord the money, work and time that would involve was phenomenal.
I did some research on chicken coops and found that folks were transforming old metal sheds to house their backyard poultry. We had this one on the estate, and it was serving no real purpose but to house every insect known to man. I ran the idea past Senior, we did some measurements..and the idea took hold.

We first added some windows for ventilation: 



Purchased a stack of 2x4s, some other boards, and a large roll of chicken wire and made our run. We did take the old screen door off the former porch and used that on the entrance:

 

Next up was the chickens..  Our good neighbor Mr. Farmers grandson is the foremost person to go to for chickens. He had several eggs incubating and ready to hatch. Senior helped him with a recent car problem and he in turn promised us some baby chicks. 

Got to love bartering...that is how we roll around here.

Well today he called to say the eggs were hatching and when do we want them: 


Now I will not lie..I am a total novice at being a mother to baby chicks...  Fortunately, I have Mr. Farmer, his wife and grandson to tutor me. I also have the Internet and books to refer too.

I also realize that the baby's will not be ready for the coop for a few months, so next weekend Mr. Farmer is taking us to a livestock auction, and is helping us with the purchase of some older chickens. I am also eventually in the search of a Turkey..little ND has had his heart set on one ever since last year when we went to a farm for a field trip and he saw one living in the chicken coop. He wants to name it "Bob"  lol 

I have also have my hopes on adding a Polish Hen to our coop..I saw one at Mr. Farmers and ever since I have thought them totally cool.

 
Besides, I think they bear a striking resemblence to Phyllis Diller:
 

I am extremely excited about this new venture in our life. I have always wanted our own coop and I can't wait for the learning process to begin..

-JUGM

15 comments:

  1. well at lest we can't say your a dumb cluck....bahahahahaha. Way to go keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahahah! Gurlie you are jumping in with both feet, blind and have no idea what you are up against. i see many, many interesting stories coming my way - baahahahah! oh i love it!
    make sure to keep us all updated.

    much love to you and yours always! your friend,
    kymber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..like I always say: " Go big or go home"... I am sure I will have plenty of chick stories to post about. I am so darn excited.. I feel like a new mama, must have something to do with my biological clock I hear ticking all the time. ND wants a baby sister so we are getting baby chicks.

      Delete
  3. No Rob, we are not dumb. I once took a online IQ test while plastered and scored a 141. Best of all, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express when i took it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polish chickens are great......you would love them. You have some wonderful surprises ahead....lol. Some good stories coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told that about Polish breeds. I can't wait for the adventure to begin

      Delete
  5. Y'all are doing awesome. We got spoiled by having fresh farmer eggs this summer from a friend at Row's school. It's hard to go back to store bought ones...

    We look forward to more of your posts, and hope to be joining the homesteading group in a couple of years. I'll be watching and taking notes from you and PP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a fresh egg straight from the chicken. We have had a few dozen given to us and the texture and taste is so much better...

      Take all the notes you wish..any way we can help just ask..

      Delete
  6. Whoo Hoo!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!
    If you get older chickens before your little ones are big enough for the coop, you will have to introduce the babies to the flock gradually. Do you follow the Chicken Chick? She has great info on her blog :) Congrats again baby chicks are so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thsnks Kelly! I will book mark that blog site. Def.will go check it out.

      Delete
  7. JUGM,

    I love the coop you made, great job you two!!!!
    It's so exciting when adding new critters to a homestead. Now whose more excited you or the boys??
    Congratulations, I can't wait to read posts and see pictures.

    Hugs to you and yours,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy...using that metal shed saved a bunch of $$. I think the boys at this point are more excited. But that will change once the coop cleaning begins...

      Hugs to you all as well.

      Delete
  8. Good reuse of available stuff... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea.. looks great!
    I used to related to phylis and george lucas by my first marriage... the lady is crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Backyard chicken . Com is a fantastic site

    ReplyDelete