Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Old Veteran


I noticed him immediately as he walked down the aisle of the grocery store. He was dressed head to toe in his Dress Uniform. Obviously had just been at a Veterans Day memorial event.  He had so much hardware it "clanked" while he walked.We suspected he was in his middle 80s. probably saw time in WW11 and Korea.
 He actually looked a lot like the Veteran in the picture above.
He pushed his cart quietly without saying a word to  anyone or anyone for that matter saying a word to him.  Senior wanted to go shake his hand, but ND had to go potty.
So he took him while NW and I waited outside of the restrooms. They came out, and it was little ND who asked if he could go find the gentleman. Senior and I looked at each other, shook our heads and said "okay".
So, we searched the aisles...he was no where. We decided to leave. As we were heading to the check outs, there he was waiting in line. Senior asked ND if he still wished to go meet the soldier. He did.
So, he took both boys by the hand and led them over. I saw the brief exchange- ND shook the mans hand and Thanked him for his service.

Talk about tears came to this proud mothers eyes.. 

Thank you to all the Veterans just like this man who read this blog. Thank you for your sacrifice, and service to defend our great country. Thank you to the Wives, Children and other family members who kept the home fires lit while you were deployed. I definantly know it is not easy when they are gone..  

-JUGM

13 comments:

  1. Your post is especially meaningful this day because it's a real experience YOU and your loved ones had expressing personal thanks to a single vet. That's what it's all about. Individuals that served, lived as brothers and sisters, and belong to a special club most know very little about.
    Thanks also for including the families of vets. I am a brat, my 85 year old CSM dad still kicking and running the Victory Bar. His dad a WWI vet used to take him there for his daily small glass of beer and to hang out with the vets from the Great War. He used to have a cadre of vets that came in the morning for coffee, orange juice and rolls that he put out, but he's outlived them. That and the bar down the road didn't like that he served FREE food and tried to get the health department to shut him down.
    I am a sister to two Vietnam era vets, who prayed fervently and watched the TV for stats every night. Dad was back after two tours and his face was more grim than ever.
    I am the wife of a career Army action guy, who is almost ready to retire from the second career, mostly because of "old injuries".
    Everyone tells me to quit worrying, but I've spent my life worrying and talking to God about men (and women) in uniform. My best friend became a Navy Lt. Commander two years ago (we are both in our 50's), and because she's a surgeon, she is shipping to Kandahar. Two of her five children are still at home. I want to hold on to her and cry and scream, but I have to smile because she's always wanted to serve her country.
    Thanks. Because sometimes I feel like I am going with them when they head out. My heart always does. I've had to wipe tears of children and tell them "no, daddy didn't die in Iraq". I've had to hold bewildered teens after dad left, because he counseled them to take care of me and the little one, and to "step up" if he didn't come back. He trained them well, and then he expected performance.
    Families serve. Thanks for remembering them. Now off to check my dad's facebook, he's probably doing something great for "the guys and gals".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Stopping by Susie-- My husband Senior retired from the Navy after 20 years of dedicated service. So yes, I know first hand of the hardships that are placed on the families. We were thankful that God waited to bless with kids at the end of his 20 years, while he was on shore duty. but, I had plenty of friends who had to serve as both parents...and I know it was not easy. Both my uncle and Seniors uncle was in Nam, and they both signed up and went back for more. Infact Seniors uncle wanted a 4th tour but they denied him.. If you saw the Movie "Platoon" I like to think of Seniors Uncle as the William Defoe character..that hard core Marine.

    Many Thanks to you and your family for dedicated service. I would love to hear some of your dads stories..I bet he has some sad ones, but good ones as well. That is so awesome how you are helping out your best friend. My neice just got married to a Army reservist who is attached to a MASH unit..so at any time he could get activated.
    She is on pins and needles every time the phone rings..thinking he is going to Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll add your loved ones to my prayer list. Waiting can be tough.
      Thank Senior for his service and thank you also. A Navy vet just delivered a heavy palate of stuff to the shop and I got to see him and thank him personally. Love the guys and gals who uphold and defend Our Constitution of These United States!

      Delete
  3. Choked back the tears on this one.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...still thinking about it makes me weepy eyed. Now we are off to the cemetary to pay honor to Seniors dad, and his other family members

      Delete
  4. It was a good moment, he wasn't expecting it and to see his smile when the kids shook his hand was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful thing to happen for all involved, you, Senior, the boys and that brave, brave man! i love reading different people's posts on Veteran's Day (our Remembrance Day). i am so glad that you all had this experience...especially the boys! much love hon, always, to you and all of yours!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been blog hopping around too... lots of good posts out there about our wonderful veterans. Here in the states, lots of restaurants honor them with free meals, so we headed out this evening to partake. The place we chose was packed. Glad to see businesses recognizing our heros.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, and give my thanks to Senior for his service. You both are to be given credit for raising your sons in this manner. I, too served for 20 plus years in the Air Force, but owe so much to those that came before me and those that serve after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim for your 20 years of Service. So many men and women died for this country. So many stories of heroism..the sacrifice amazes me.

      Delete
  7. JUGM,

    You've raised your boys to be fine young gentlemen!!! You know they touched the heart of this Veteran. God created a military wife...........a wife who stands, supports and gives all for her husband, family, and this country while he fights for our freedoms, thank you. God also create supportive children, please give your boys a big hug for me, and thank them.

    Thank you for your service, my friend.
    Love to you and your family,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure that the gesture was appreciated. It's easy for older veterans to feel forgotten, since their experiences were so long ago and there are now so many young people who are veterans of the last 10 years of war.

    ReplyDelete