Monday, December 22, 2014

origins of greetings...



I always find it fun to research the origin of things. So, with all the hub-bub-aloo with wishing people " Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays" I decided to put my fingers to work on the ole computer and find out is saying "Happy Holidays" really all that taboo by Christians.

The word for Christmas in late Old English is Cristes Messe. The Cristes-messe referred directly to the specific date set aside for the Mass of Christ, a commemoration of the birth of Christ. The word became “Christ Mass” in Middle English and then “Christmas” in modern English. To wish someone “Merry Christ Mass” or “Christmas” was to wish them to be filled with joy on the singular day set aside to recognize the birth of Christ.

But, I bet a lot of people did not know that "happy holidays" comes from the old english "halidaeg" "Hali" meaning "holy" and "daeg" meaning "day" So, those days were meant to be kept holy and free from work or any labor. Therefore, then or now, to wish someone “Happy Holidays” is to wish them happiness from the first night of Advent through the Feast of the Epiphany, including Christmas. For me, I use to be one of those that despised being wished "happy holidays" but now, after thoroughly searching and learning its origins, I find it completely okay.

So, there you all have it. A short but sweet origin of both seasonal greetings. Whether you say one over the other..both are steeped in religious belief and my personal christian roots.
 I am sure it drives all  Non-believers, liberals and people who retain political correctness completely nuts to wish them one of these religious greetings.

So for all my wonderful blog followers... I wish you all :

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS! 

-JUGM

6 comments:

  1. and i thank you for both wishes Gurlie! and now because i know that you are crazy and will spend 3 straight hours looking this up...i wish you a very wonderful Michaelmas as well - bahahahahahha! oh i send much love to you, Senior, those beautiful boys and all of yours! your friend always!
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Happy Feast of St. Micheal and all the Angels to you too! Ha ha ha! And I did not need 3 straight nights..more like 3 straight seconds...
      Hope you and Jam have a blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  2. JUGM,

    Thank you for doing all the research Sweetie :-)
    Merry Christmas, Warm Wishes, and A Happy New Year!!!!

    Hugs and love to you, and yours.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love researching stuff...the boys ask all the time how did things get their names, so it is cool educating them on it all.

      Hugs to you all as well ! Have a Merry Christmas

      Delete
  3. Sweet. I still tell everyone Merry Christmas, just hoping to piss off a liberal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Just too much fun watching their faces cringe.. : )

      Delete