Some girls fret over what clothes and shoes to buy, the choices are endless, and the decision is always a hard one. Not I of course, my current dilemma is over a new handgun. This really started over a week ago when Senior got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to sell my Glock... 'What" !! No I am not selling my Glock. Then I wouldn't be "The Glock Mom" I love that gun.
My current issue is between a Ruger SR .22 or a 1911 .22 I like them both and have handled them both. I watched a youtube on the Ruger , and liked it, very lightweight and fits well in my hand. But, it came in black, pink or purple. And I really want mine in Zombie Green. But then there is the 1911... I always wanted one.
This search took me from the local gun shop to a big box sporting goods store. Senior was shopping from the 5.56 that is soon to be executive ordered out of stock. And I was peeking in to the counter. Again no Zombie green Ruger SR.22 and no 1911 in .22 either...
Next to me was a small and fragile elderly woman and her overbearing son, who was trying like a politician to talk his little ole mother in to some big honking knock off brand .45 in stainless steel that the woman could barely hold up. I hate seeing this.
I injected myself in to the conversation, after chatting with her a bit I found out she had never handled a gun before, and had never shot one. So, I suggested something easier for the mother to handle and to shoot. Such as the Glock 26 or a Ruger.. Oh no! This made the son unhappy. He did not like Glocks or Rugers and wanted his mother to get something cheaper, it is only for home defense he said and will stay in her nightstand., his mother he said needed something with stopping power and a gun is better then any insurance policy. The guy behind the counter looked at me rolled his eyes, and shook his head at the son...lol
My argument back was that she needed something she could handle and was easy for her to use. I even suggested a revolver so that she did not have to worry about a slide. I myself went through at least 4 handguns until I found my perfect fit. But what did I know? I was just a woman.
The best thing for this mom to do would have been to tell her son where to go, and carry herself to an indoor range where she can try out different guns. And I kick myself for not suggesting that..
I wished her luck and Senior and I walked off. After some more time browsing we walked back past the gun counter and the pair was still there..
And I am still here with my little dilemna of what to get the 1911 or a Ruger SR. For me to get the SR in green obviously means I need to get the black one and duracoat the parts I want green... *SIGH*


well Gurlie - you know me....i'd be getting the pink ruger - bahahahah! we don't have a lot of gun stores up here, just a few and we don't frequent them very often, only to get ammo or whatnot. we also don't have any gun shows up here. so we are happy that we don't bang into idiots like you did who are giving bad advice about weapons and to their own mother?!?!?!? what the heck!!! anyway, i feel sorry for her and for him. but if idiots want to be idiots, you have to just let them go on their merry way. much love to you and yours, always!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Hey My Gurlie!!! If Ruger put a more brighter pink, then I might like it, but the color they went with is sort of washed out pink... not very obnoxious Like I am...
DeleteIn reference to the mother and son...this poor woman was holding this gun, and flailing it around, She shot it, and would have knocked herself on her keester..After we walked off, Senior said it was obvious it was a gun the son wanted for himself but could not afford, so he was trying like hell to get his mother to buy it so he could later have it.. And that kind of stuff ticks me off. This think was like something Clint Eastwood would have carried back in the The Dirty Harry days.
Now wait a minute there. You know some days it is just plain difficult deciding what shoes to wear or clothes to put on. Do I put on the muck boots with the hole in the heel or the lace up work boots? Or should I wear the wool jacket or the lined chore coat? But whatever the choice, the 'accessory' to carry should be basic black. Goes with whatever the attire. heh!
ReplyDeleteHope the little lady got a pistol she could handle. What a dolt - he was buying nothing but what HE wanted. Good luck on your dilemma. But you know you could always paint your fingernails green when you go shooting. Just saying ;-)
I had that same issue today...we have had an overload of rain, and my chicken coop is nothing short of a poo mud pile. I know whats that saying " when you go black you never go back" ha ha ha ha!!! My other two carry guns are black, so is my Judge. Wouldn't mind something with a bit of color.
DeleteYes it was obvious the son wanted the gun, and not the mother. And I hate seeing that.. she looked like she wanted to be anywhere else other then out gun shopping with her over zealous son
I agree,that character probably wanted the .45 for himself and wanted mom to buy it. The M1911 is a handful for me these days, because of arthritis in my wrists. I can hardly imagine an old Lady trying to utilize one.
ReplyDeleteChiapas makes a nice M1911 in .22LR for not much money, but I don't know where you would find one, they are mostly special orders.
I actually saw a used Chiappa at one of the local stores, it was in horrible shape and because of their large overhead they wanted a fortune for it. I also saw new one in .45 at the big box store. If I do get a 1911 I want it in .22
DeleteSweet JUGM (aka: Angel),
ReplyDeleteYour advice to the woman at the counter with her pain in the a$$ son was dead on. She needs to be comfortable with the gun, otherwise she won't use it. I hate pushy family members!!!!
As for your dilemma.......buy them both :-)
This way there's no dilemma, and you can rotate using them.
Sending hugs and love to you, Senior, and your Boys.
Sandy
LOL Oh Sandy ! my MacDaddy won;t let me have both..he has his eye on some new KelTec. We are going through our once a year gun biological clock ticking drama. seems to be when Spring starts to hit, Senior and Jugm wanna go gun shopping.
ReplyDeleteAll though I could get the 1911 and durcacoat the parts I want green..but it might look silly.
AKA: Angel???? lol I don't think Senior would concur with that one. All though I tell him I am sweet as a freshly picked Georgia Peach.
I hate pushy family members too. And you are right, she would get forced in to that certain gun, and it would sit in her nightstand never being shot. My mother in Law prior to her death wanted a gun, atleast my Brother in Law took her to a range first and let her shoot a couple so she could decide what she wanted. She got a .38 revolver which was perfect for her..
Love and hugs to you guys as well..
hey Gurlie - don't you remember that we are the 3 Charlie's Angels!!! Sweet Sandy is the trouble-making Angel, you are the Diplomatic Angel (bahahahahah! oh i killed myself at that one!!!) and i am the a**-kicking Angel.
DeleteMe diplomatic?? Bahahahahaha!
DeleteI'm partial to Rugers so too much bias there.For an old lady's self defense my opinion for best choice would be a Ruger GP 100 .357 then teaching her to shoot it as a single action thumb cock. MY mother has a really hard time with any slide type sidearm and loading the mags a revolver would rid her of those issues.
ReplyDeleteI suggested that..but the son wouldn't hear it. He was a real douche.
DeleteI suggested that..but the son wouldn't hear it. He was a real douche.
DeleteRevolvers work... Especially for older people. PP is right! And a .38/.357 in 4 inch is enough heft to minimize the recoil. But you have to SHOOT it and learn to control it. That is not a gun to start on, man woman or child.
ReplyDeleteRe the green guns... Do what you gotta... LOL And I'd recommend the Browning 1911 .22 That is worth a look too!
My MIL had a .38 revolver and it was perfect for her. I agree that is more user friendly for elderly people. My dad carries a Ruger.327.
DeleteMy MIL had a .38 revolver and it was perfect for her. I agree that is more user friendly for elderly people. My dad carries a Ruger.327.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIf you are stuck on a .22 I like the Ruger SR22 or Mark lll.
ReplyDeleteI had a Mark ll years ago and shot thousands of rounds with no failures of any kind.
I am leaning towards the Ruger. Very lightweight and fit nicely in my hand..But it will have to wait until the Money Gods shine down on me.
DeleteI am leaning towards the Ruger. Very lightweight and fit nicely in my hand..But it will have to wait until the Money Gods shine down on me.
Delete