Sunday, March 8, 2015

end of week stuff

With Senior seemingly working 1,000 per week, things around the estate for me have been a bit busy. Finally the weather here has turned warmer, and no rain since Thursday. It is nice to have everything dry out.

I went out to the coop on Friday and one of my Golden Sex Links jumped up beside me. I did not think anything of it until .I saw her back ( warning picture is gruesome) My dominate Rhode Island Red Hen, jumped on her, and once blood was drawn it was a coop frenzy. I gently picked her up, flushed her back with warm water, and gently rubbed some antibiotics in to it. Then I placed her in isolation to heal.
As for the Red, well she went in to chicken jail for a bit, and now is listed for sale on craigslist.

I have always thought that birds were decedents of dinosaurs, and now I am a firm believer..


 Senior was at work all day yesterday so the boys and I got out in the yard, and took advantage of the beautiful day. First it was planting some spring seeds. my buddy Sandy sent us some sunflowers, and the boys wanted to start a batch. I like harvesting them for bird seed and roasting....


There was a nice steady breeze so after planting seeds we did some kite flying. NW got this one with money my sister had sent him...


Later in the afternoon Senior came home, and wanted to go get a new tractor battery for his dads ole farm-all. This trip took us in to Tractor Supply..We went in for a battery and some tomato seeds, and came out with 6 new Black Austrolop Chicks....never did get the battery or seeds....lol
I guess Senior will need to build a new addition to the coop...



Did remember to turn clocks forward last night, and now I am feeling it...really do hate these silly time changes. God has blessed with more beautiful weather today, Senior is off and I hope we get out and take advantage of it. Happy Sunday !!!

20 comments:

  1. Enjoy the day and do family things! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks we did some bow shooting and more kite flying!

      Delete
  2. Glock mom, we get all kinds of wounds here on the animals. I have found that a can of Pulvex al purpose veterinary ointment works wonders. It is a square round can, looks like it's from the 1880's, and is available at just about all farm supply stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write that down and see if my local feed store has it..I am sure they do.

      Delete
  3. ugh Gurlie - that pic is nasty!!! how is she making out? and yes - get rid of that other bird!!! i am glad that you are having warm weather and getting seedlings started! we still have snow on the ground, i'll start my seedlings indoors on march 15. today is a mild, beautiful day and we have been enjoying walking around and many hottub dips. with many more to come all evening. i can't wait to start seedlings! enjoy your sunday! and much love to you and yours, as always!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey gurlie! hot tubbin it sounds nice. enjoy that! Today I got out and planted my lilly bulbs I got for my birthday, and did some cleaning in the chicken coop.
      Yes i got two of the mean chickens sold today...what a relief!

      Happy Sunday to you too!

      Delete
  4. we had one rhode island red.a rooster. don't know about dinosaurs but he was snake mean. someone took him off our hands but i never want another rhode island red.
    deb h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listed her and another one that was known for pecking on a local FB yard sale page and had them both sold withen minuets.. And whle I had that done, she went after another Americauna and tore her back up just like the one in the picture...so now I have to in the Chicken Hospital... I am just glad they are gone, I can sacrifice the eggs they would produce, can't have cannibal chickens.. I still have one, but so far her demeanor has been nice, and as long as it stays that way, she can stay in the coop...

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the bird. What about cooking the other one who attacked?? Yard work for us next weekend, snow is just about gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easier to sell her and her sister. The Austrolops we bought are a better meat bird anyways... As soon as I bragged about Spring, it is back windy and chilly here and rain is forecasted all week. BLAH!

      Delete
  6. ewww cannibal chickens.

    I think I will just raise sheep and trade lamb chops for chickens although the eggs would be nice. We had chickens when I was a kid and the death rate was just unbelievable between the hawks, coons and their own kind too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, not all breeds are this aggressive. My Americaunas and Goldie's are very docile and sweet. If u get in to chickens stay away from Rhode Island Reds.

      Delete
    2. The thing is, not all breeds are this aggressive. My Americaunas and Goldie's are very docile and sweet. If u get in to chickens stay away from Rhode Island Reds.

      Delete
  7. JUGM,

    How's your chicken doing? You'll receive a call soon enough on your mean chicken, and soon she'll be going on a permanent vacation to a new home.

    Strangest thing, with the change of weather we adults want to get outside with our kids and play in the mud, :-) You and your boys seed planting.......so much fun, I hope the sunflowers turnout with big flowers. Bulldog Man and I were covered from head to toe with mud, and dirt from old tires. We were out the entire weekend having fun playing (in the mud)......I mean garden. LOL!!!!

    Chicks are so much fun to watch and play with. I'm surprised you didn't come home with rabbits from the tractor store.

    Have fun with your chicks, gardening, and flying kites. This sure is the best time of year to have outdoor fun. Love y'all.
    Sandy



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far they are healing, but ready to get out of chicken hospital. Wounds are so fresh I am not ready to put them back in the main coop.

      Found beefsteak tomatoes seeds in the same brand you sent. Senior was happy I got some heirloom ones. Will plant those after the new moon.

      NO RABBITS! If I want to bag one and cook it we have plenty wild ones around here.

      Hugs to and your family!

      Delete
  8. Up for sale translates here to freezer home. Once they start that not something they quite. Like dog with chicken blood...cant break them of it.
    I love the BA chickens...prolific egg layers and great personalities I have three right now!
    Hopefully today was nicer for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow....keep in mind I am under the influence of meds for illness. Read thru mistakes if you can...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woman you cracked me up... Read your post and hope you get to feeling better.

      Hey there are no refunds for that guy who bought the reds. I have not heard anything and he had plans of mating them with his male Red Rooster so hopefully Cruella met up with a bigger and badder chicken then her...

      Delete
    2. Woman you cracked me up... Read your post and hope you get to feeling better.

      Hey there are no refunds for that guy who bought the reds. I have not heard anything and he had plans of mating them with his male Red Rooster so hopefully Cruella met up with a bigger and badder chicken then her...

      Delete
  10. sounds like your boys have adjusted well in their new home. :)
    glad you're getting better weather! we have been as well and I'm so happy about it! I think I put about ten lbs on in winter. ha ha

    ReplyDelete