Monday, September 14, 2015

our ebenezer



We have lots of boulders, and rocks here at the estate,  lets not kid around, you can't walk or dig without stumbling over rocks of all shapes and sizes here. So, it was not abnormal for the foundation crew to find and have to unearth this behemoth rock.
I thought it was cool, and another one to add to the many others, so I actually blew it off.
 Then Friday, I was flipping through the bible in the book of  1 Samuel and came across the story of Israel and the many battles they have had against the Philistines. The battle was incredibly fierce and the Israelites cried unto the Lord for help. As the philistines drew near for battle, The Lord caused a great thunder upon them and were defeated by the Israelite's. 
 After that Samuel grabbed up a stone, used it as a monument and called it "Ebenezer" it is a combination of two Hebrew words that literally means: " the stone of help"  What it did though, was remind the Israelite's that God is with them and provides for their needs, no matter how big the problem is...God was there protecting them.

Okay, I know Samuel used a stone, and this thing is a massive boulder but during the past year of our family moving to the estate, The problems we faced and challenges we had did seem"boulder sized" to us. There were many times we talked about  about throwing in the towel. But, I would give it to God because there was no way I was going to be beat.

Now, with Seniors job, and the house construction started, we have seen Gods work in action.
So when the rock was unearthed, and reading the story of Samuel  it reminded me that  much like he did back then with the armies of Israel, God has and will provide for us.
like the stone Samuel used, this big rock serves as an everlasting monument that our needs were provided for.  When we felt things were so dark, God provided. 

We have discussed where to move the thing to, and we have all decided to keep it in front of the house. So we can never forget where we have been, and where we are going......  

-JUGM



14 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to remind you about struggles you've overcome. Many times it seems that God isn't there to help but somehow you make it through, then realize he was there all along & HIS plan worked just the way he intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen... God has three answer to prayers: "yes, no, and not yet". We endured a lot of the " not yet" and
    " no's". Not realizing that all along something better was planned for us.. He taught us the importance of having faith and being patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it Gurlie! and i am so glad that your time of struggles is winding down and that things are falling into place....including your ebenezer! sending much love to all of you, as always!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weel.... I don't know about winding down...lol. But things are falling in to place.

      Much love to you and Jam!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad things are working out for you and the family. Our lives too have changed since we returned to MN. The "rock" will be a topic of many discussion at your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! You guys have gone through a lot too. How is baby Sammy? Bet he has gotten big

      Delete
  5. Here's a link that I found regarding this.

    https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=909

    Your post brought to mind a hymn I haven't heard in awhile. It's a nice song to go to sleep by at night and comforting.

    Who knows..... that "Ebenezer" may have been put there by God to provide cover someday when repelling the "golden horde"

    Great post, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I will check out the link in a bit. Senior said the same thing about it..being able to take cover. Lord knows we have enough of them around here...

      Delete
  6. JUGM,

    Your "Ebenezer" will always be a part of your life. He's a beautiful rock, with much stored history. He will watch over you and yours, making sure all is okay.

    Will you and your boys be painting this rock?

    Love and hugs to you, Senior, and your Boys
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sandy we won't paint it. Once the house is done we are going to clean it up a bit more and display it by the front steps or something.
      We have so many other large rocks and boulders that I could do a complete blog post on all of them.

      The excavator guys also found a much larger boulder near where this one was found..but it was below the foundation line and did not need to be removed.

      Much love to you and BDM....

      Delete
  7. In Japan, the people will take a particular stone that catches their fancy, or is associated with some important event, and make a little garden around it, with smooth sand all around the rock. It's a place for meditation and contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea, and it will always serve as a reminder of what you've overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry, I have already thought about planting items around it, I have much smaller flint rocks to make the border with. May plant some "Mary Jane" and get into some really deep meditation, kidding of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need an Ebenezer! We are about to take out our lawns and create a zero-scape with rocks anyway because of the drought in California. I'll be looking for an Ebenezer when shopping for gravels and stones. thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete