( blogger was wonky earlier and I have no idea what happened with the first post about this so this is another shot at it)
Things are here have been busy. The construction of the new house is moving along nicely. We are growing accustomed to the coming and going of subcontractors. This week it has been the masons who are doing the brick work around the base. Senior and I thought they would run out of the red brick so, this morning I slowly approached and politely asked if they would be getting another delivery. I was looked upon as if I had three heads, unbeknownst to me none of the workers spoke a lick of English... They just kind of smiled like they understand and nodded their heads as if agreeing with me.
ND has been giving me fits these past few days. He is expanding his vocabulary and the word for this week is "Apparently" everything begins with : "Apparently Mom"... Yesterday he put the word to use while ratting out his older brother it was " Apparently Mother your older son is to blame" I rolled my eyes and silently giggle... Kids! you just gotta love the things they say...
The fall garden is in full swing and we have been blessed with an abundance....This is NDs gigantic pumpkin, it has grown quite a bit since the last post about it. But it still has a ways to go before Halloween.
These are the two vines that the boys planted:
The fall green beans are being more prosperous then the spring and summer ones, so we have decided in the future to only do a fall planting of them.
We get half of a 5 gallon bucket every 2-3 days. Thus it has become the ritual after our evening baths to sit at the kitchen table, and snap them. We have 3-4 gallon bags frozen and plan to start canning some this weekend.
I was told "Apparently Mother, ( lol) I have picked and snapped so many green beans, they are growing out of my nose"
OMG!
I had to take a pic
We got the collards in earlier this year, thus they are exploding:
We are being blessed with cooler weather, the lows are down in the 50-60's highs in the 70s. Hopefully those stiffing hot and humid days are gone until next summer. And rain is back in our forecast, which is much needed for our region. Everyone is hoping it will start to cut into the drought we have been under since April.
It is the first day of fall and the only positive thing about being so dry and hot this past summer is the fall leaves are expected to be very brilliant... they are currently turning a bright yellow, with some reds and oranges splashed here and there.
-JUGM





Apparently you are getting the cooler temps we should be getting :)
ReplyDeleteBack up into the mid to upper 80's here again and we haven't had rain in a few weeks now. I am not really complaining about the lack of rain though since we got so much before. A few dry weeks or even a month ain't gonna hurt us now that the hay is all in and the Goldenrod has bloomed.
My pumpkins all got drowned out this year :(
Apparently so PP... : )
DeleteYea it has turned off nice and tolerable. Our region though is in severe drought conditions, Lakes, streams and ponds are so low the bottoms are exposed, and boats that were tied up to docks are resting on the lake beds... We have had a few down pours here and there, but nothing like what we need.
of course Murphy's Law will take effect, and it will go to the next extreme of too much rain...
our Golden Rod has bloomed as well, the pasture behind us is ablaze with it.
So i thought you moved to get way from Hispanics..lol
ReplyDeleteyea right... lol
DeleteOur leaves here are starting to change, even though it's at least two weeks earlier than usual.
ReplyDeleteI can remember shelling peas when I was a kid. I didn't like it much, but the whole family sat out on the porch and shelled peas. Lots of them.
we did Lima's during the summer, I had my fill of them to last a lifetime.. Green beans are easy : )
Deleteleaves are really starting to come out here as well. I love this time of year.
JUGM,
ReplyDeleteI love the changing colors of the leaves this time of year. The only thought going through my head as I type this is please no frost any time soon!!!!
Your garden has really taken off......I can't get over all those beans. They'll keep the boys busy snapping ends. Love the bean up the nose picture!!!
I've got cornbread made, I'll be over for some collards :-)
Love to you and yours,
Sandy
cornbread is always welcome...if you bring some honey that makes it even better. I have only got one picking of collards done thus far, after all the rain we got today --YES I SAID RAIN.. they should double.
DeleteDid I say RAIN???? it started around 0930 and poured most of the day, with more due in tomorrow....I can't tell you how good it felt. even my chickens were playing in it all afternoon.
I am not too ready for frost either, but loving the fall color starting to fill in...
Love to you guys
Are those goober beans?? hahahaha.... little character!
ReplyDeletePumpkin is getting along quite nicely! It will be a beaut by the end of the season. Congrats on the garden success!
yup ND is a real hoot. I made him wash those after he was done showing off.. twice!
DeleteIt is the gigantic variety, I was a bit skeptical at first, since we put them in late, but darn...it is taking off. I don't think ND will really care how big it gets, he is just so excited about his first pumpkin. Next year we will start them earlier though, as he is trying for one of those 200 #ers
Oh my ... NC is apparently quite the character. Wishing him luck on the pumpkin.
ReplyDeleteI loved shelling & snapping peas & beans as a kid & still don't mind doing it now. Your garden is amazing.
So glad you're going to get a real taste of fall. Can't wait to see pics of the house!
it is never dull with him around D. He keeps me young. : ) that pumpkin is growing like a weed.. but, we got them in a bit late. Next year will do them earlier. He is trying for a record breaker.
DeleteI actually don't mind breaking beans, it helps me take out my aggression on things...lol
Fall color is starting to fill in, since we had a dry and hot summer the colors are predicted to be even more vibrant then usual. Fall is by far my favorite time of year.
Glad things are going well, and that pumpkin is going to be a good one! :-)
ReplyDelete