Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Spring is springing

Senior has been working hard on the garden, now that we have an extra hour of daylight, he comes home, eats supper and gets on the tractor. We got about 2 rows of sweet onions planted, which have began to sprout, a couple more weeks and the corn will go in. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am happy for Spring..everything is waking up and life is returning to our hilltop.


Saturday morning we had to be up early for the baseball jamboree and team pictures, I grabbed my coffee and stood at the kitchen window, then I caught a glimpse, and ran for my camera. She was standing at the edge of the garden, just walking around. Senior had even gone outside to get something from the car, and she did not get spooked. I caught this pic when she looked over at him.



I have been meaning to post this one for a while...the boys wanted sling shots. I guess it s a right of passage... It was probably the best money I have spent in a while, as they have become quite proficient with them, until they started targeting the chickens with acorns. Once I stopped that they go after the crows in the garden...


Well friends I must be off here, got chores and errands to tend too.

-JUGM

10 comments:

  1. JUGM,

    Sweet Angel, I'm so happy spring is here knocking at our doors. Like you, I will be planting my onions and potatoes by this weekend. I have the gardening itch this season, it sounds to me like you and Senior have that same itch :-)

    What a gorgeous picture of the female deer, she was not spooked in any when y'all were moving around. Which tells me she's very comfortable hanging around your place. Watch out for your garden this planting season, she maybe waiting for some yummy vegetable tops :-)

    Plenty of black birds out there to fire at with those sling shots.

    Sending hugs and love to you and yours.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sweetie.
      I think everyone is getting the itch. Temps warm up and I got to start digging, just something intoxicating about getting your hands dirty, and growing your own food.
      I keep thinking about potatoes, but havent done them..I think I am a bit intimidated.

      We think this is the same doe we caught on our trail camera about a month ago, she keeps coming back. We put soap on a role around the perimeter to keep deer out, it works so-so. It startes to lose the fragrance and that's when they took the okra and green beans...

      Much love to you all!

      Delete
  2. HAHAHA Chickens with Acorns... That's Funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg...they would shoot and hens would squak and jump like ole bitties...

      Delete
  3. hey Gurlie - you and Sweet Sandy stop talking about planting things in the ground! i will only be starting to plant things in the ground around mid-april - onions and potatoes especially. potatoes aren't hard or intimidating at all - you just have to keep hilling them before they get too tall.

    what is that beautiful tree in the first pic? i blew the pic up but still don't recognize it. it must be one of those exotic southern trees that we don't have up here. as for the deer - she is beautiful! but if Senior plans on hunting this year, i would put a big salt lick about a half to 3/4 of a mile in the woods from where she is standing.

    as for the boys...well boys being boys and all. i am glad that they like their sling shots and are becoming proficient using them. it's a great skill to have!

    sending love to all of you, as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. which tree the one in the background or close up? If its close up, I think that is a kind of cherry blossom, it wasn't more then a small trunk with about 2 little branches.. Doesn't matter anyways, it got bull dozed over, because we are cleaning that area out for my new flower garden. If you mean the one in the background, that is a Japanese Magnolia.

      We have tried the salt licks...they look at it like its some sort of alien, they prefer the corn....Guess i have picky deer..bahahahahaha

      OMG they love the sling shots, and have had so much fun, I think its a hoot when they are in the back pocket, and ND turns his hat around on his head...cracks me up.

      Sending love to you guys too!!!

      Delete
  4. Nice pic of dinner on the hoof! Hopefully you can keep her out of the garden! And yes, slingshots ARE a right of passage... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt she will stay out of the garden for long...we though that last year, and one morning the okra tops were completely gone..looked like someone came through and cut them all off. But yea, she could fill a freezer for sure....

      Delete
  5. Blossoms and sunshine. No blossoms yet and haven't seen much sunshine of late.

    Deer should be sent to freezer camp. They love pumpkins, too... the boogers. I had to put the dogs in the garden at night (in their kennels, of course, or they'd be digging). But the would bark at them. The dogs also keeps the coons away, too.

    Have those boys practice with their sling shots. Set up targets just like when you shoot. I don't recommend mom's chickens, though... little rascals! ;-) But you can take out small game with slingshots and you won't have to eat around pellets in the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My uncle told me to put soap on a rope around the garden and it does work until the odor starts wearing off. But when our okra and green beans got tall they got in it and had a buffet. They also attacked my sunflowers....

      I stopped the boys immediately when I saw them target the hens..they set up a little sling shot range with some cans to shoot at...

      Delete