What is it about the solitude of country living? No hussle and bussle of the big cities, or crowded apartments and subdivisions. No hearing everything your neighbors talk about or having cars parked along the street and blocking your driveway...No I don't miss that at all.
Another benefit is shooting whenever you want to, we have been working on our little range, made some additions and improvements and its all coming along nicely...I am thankful that we no longer have to find a public range to shoot at and can come and go as much as we want on ours...
This being the last day of our spring break the boys were up early, with BB guns in hand, wanting to get some target practice in. As long as they don't put an eye out they can shoot BBs whenever they like. But, when it comes to their .22s or something of mom and dads...we need to be there with them.
I made a cup of coffee and sat on the porch watching, and thinking about how carefree they are. Wishing desperately that they did not know of some of the things that are corrupting our world, or the meaning of words that I would have never thought of as a child.
I look at them being so free and smile, but inside I am sad that soon Senior and I will have to turn them loose in this big old world, and I hope we are preparing them well for that day.( sniff sniff..mom gets weepy eyed)
Another good thing about country living and having property?...is getting to have a monster garden. Ours is 99% planted. Only thing left is the okra for Senior and boys. ( ick...i know!...lol )
Jack was being naughty in the house, and so we collectively decided to let him have the great outdoors where I think he is much happier. Today he was helping us out in the garden . He likes coming down there to purr and nuzzle us with his nose. When we pull the hose out, he cracks us up trying to attack it thinking its a big black snake.
Having an out door cat has been an adventure, we look forward to his daily presents he leaves on the porch. Mostly its moles. But Friday he managed a bird. And No, we were not happy because it was a robin.
The day is growing short, I have noticed several of my favorite bloggers have done posts, so I am off of mine to go check theirs out and say a quick hello. Then its on to answer the demands of the household....you know that dinner thing! lol
-JUGM


oh honey, Angel - your boys are going to do you and Senior proud when they step out into this big, ugly world. the world is big and ugly, but it's also beautiful as you know seeing as how you are now living at the estate.
ReplyDeleteme and jam tried to record the silence of our afternoon...with only a variety of birds chirping and calling. we recorded it but neither of us knows how to download it - bahahahahah! but we sooo enjoy the silence and can hear a vehicle coming from 5 miles away. i think we heard 2 vehicles in the past week and one time it was jam returning from work. we love the peace and silence that you guys seem to have, too.
we find that it is always good to have a cat supervisor whenever you are doing any kind of work. they disrupt you, lay, or poop, in the bed you are trying to plant and pretty much annoy the crap out of you. but they make you stop, pet them, cuddle them - so i guess all in all cat supervisors are a good thing!
sending so much love to you, Senior and the boys! thanks for the sweet comment on our latest blog post. i always watch for any new posts by you and Senior! we love you guys. xoxoxoxo
Hey Gurlie,
DeleteSenior and I sit on the porch at night, nothing but the sounds of night creatures, you can see every star. Last night was saw the International Space Station go overhead...
I tell him while enjoying the silence that everything is so quiet and peaceful here, its hard to believe there is anything bad going on in the world.
Yep Jack is the supervisor, but I don't need him bringing any co-workers home..lol there are two or three others around, but they stay at a distance. I have had mine at the vet, he is up to date on shots and healthy...
much love to you guys too...xoxoxoxoxox
Mom and Dad have a place like this. It is really nice to sit out on the front porch and just listen to nothing but nature doing its thang. I could shut the front gate and not leave the property for weeks at a time if it was mine and I had it properly stocked. The last time I was there, I sat and looked out the front doorway as the deer jumped from and back into the tree line at the edge of the clearing. Of course the deer are problematic with the ticks they constantly bring in and drop off patiently waiting for stooges like me to come along and make a meal out of.... which bring me to that cat of yours... Be careful of the ticks. Cats are even worse than dogs about dragging ticks back to the house. You and the family don't want this crap I have that I got from the ticks. Just sayin'
ReplyDeleteI keep telling Missi that we need to move down towards your general direction. I'm so sick of Virginia.....
Matt - we have had only one experience with ticks - thank goodness. our cats go out for about an hour and then they come to us, if we are outside, or come in the house if we are in the house. i constantly rub and groom them and one time mobie-moe came in and had what i thought was a weird growth on him. i had only just pet him an hour before so i knew this weird growth was something weird. we had never heard of ticks but when we both did searches on the internet we found out he had a tick on him. we got it off with tweezers - never seen anything so gross in my life - but we got it off and put it in a jar of apple cider vinegar which killed it instantly and brought mobie and the tick to the vet. the vet said the tick was of the normal variety and that mobie wasn't infected - thank goodness. but for anyone who has been bitten by a tick - yep - lyme disease. which isn't even considered a proper disease here in canada - where we have tons of wooded and forested areas - people here in canada who think they have lyme disease have to go to the states for treatment. isn't that awful?
Deletereally glad to see you commenting on various blogs again. missed you, little bro! sending much love. your friend,
kymber
Matt- +1 to what kymber said, its good seeing you around again. Hope all has been well with you guys..
DeleteCome on down to SC anytime...there is plenty of land for sale. I don't blame you for wanting to leave VA, I feel like the old conservative states are falling by the way side, starting with yours. Next up is NC.
I second you on the tick issue...lyme is bad here as well, and I am putting crazy cat on some preventative today. His fur is so thick, that I would not notice one until it was the size of a golf ball. ick!
I remember my Aunt had an old mountain dog that lived on her property in NC, summertime he would be so infested with ticks, it looked like he had a pearl necklace on. That was back in the day before all the things to kill them.
the boys have gotten a couple of them in the past, one was nearly up to NWs privates so the best thing we invested in, was a tick key..you can get them pretty cheap at china mart or gander and any other outdoor store. That thing is awesome, you just put the tick in the small end and slide it right off, works great on pets as well.
MATT PS: you mentioned a front gate..we have one too. and yes there are times in the summer, once senior goes to work, he will lock it back, and I won't open it until he is home. It gives me some extra security and keeps people out...lol
DeleteI absolutely HATE neighbors. One reason moving out to the country and beginning this adventure was so easy for me was because it meant leaving neighbors behind. I still have them of course but they are far enough away we still like each other :)
ReplyDeletetehee. we love our neighbours because our closest is 400 metres away and our other neighbours are 800metres away. and then you are talking thousands of metres for any of our other neighbours. and in between all of that - is cottages that are empty and decaying because no one from our big town or city can afford the gas to drive out here. we love being here. it's always so silent that the slightest noise makes us notice and go to the gun cabinet. love you bro.
Deletei am not completely without neighbors, we have them around. but thats just it, they are around, not right on top of us living 10 feet away in a subdivision. I don't think I could do that anymore. I see how they are building them, and i shake my head...
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteKids grow up so darn fast. You and Senior have raised two mighty fine young gentlemen.
Living in the country has so many benefits. I love just sitting out on the porch rocking in my rocker to relax and listen to all of God's creatures.
Sending hugs and love to y'all.
Sandy