Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day

An acquaintance asked where are the festivities this year for Memorial Day. I was happy when another person told them there is no " celebrations" , but there are memorial services and wreath layings.

It's not about picnics, partying or celebrating the official start of summer.
It's a day to remember complete strangers   that gave their life defending this great country, so that we may enjoy the freedoms when have today.


6 comments:

  1. It never fails to amaze me how folks can't tell the difference between Memorial Day...when you remember someone, or something, and Veteran's Day, when you celebrate folks still around who went there, did that, got the t-shirt, and made it back home. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of media coverage about Gold Star Mothers outside of the military. I'm willing to bet most of the younger generations don't have any idea what a Gold Star Mom is.
    One more loss to lay at the feet of the MSM...
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It irks me as well that the yuppie generation doesn't know the difference between the two days.. And I typically don't say "happy memorial day". I do know own what GSM is....

      Delete
    2. It irks me as well that the yuppie generation doesn't know the difference between the two days.. And I typically don't say "happy memorial day". I do know own what GSM is....

      Delete
  2. That it is, and I 'know' y'all know the reason, just like I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, Thank you to Senior and You for your service to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I was working in Oil and Gas, my boss was a real swine. But one day, he read in the paper that the school board had decided to drop Memorial Day in favor of Martin Luther King Day. They said they had to get rid of a holiday to "honor Martin Luther King." My boss went down there and cleaned house, and after he left they voted to drop a "snow day" and keep Memorial Day. If he hadn't gone nothing would have been done, because nobody else had the "pull." So he did one good thing in his life.

    ReplyDelete