Thursday, November 1, 2012

Political Conversation with a 7 Year Old

ND still being sick with a bit of bronchitis stayed home another day. He is doing much better and I feel confident that he is okay to go to school tomorrow. He stayed home with Senior so I could go pick up NW.

On the way home we stopped by a gas station so I could pick up our local paper to see if any of the Paul Ryan event pictures the photographer took of the kids made it in the current edition. While there were pics, none were of the kids, I was told the paper was stretching it out over three editions and to keep checking...

NW was holding the paper in the back seat looking at the pictures of Mr. Ryan.
"momma"? he asked
"yes baby" ?
" It says Paul Ryan is a Vice Presidential Candidate"
"Yes I know"
"Whats a Candidate" ?
"Someone who is running for office of some sort,he is called a candidate because we, the people get to choose which candidate we  want for President and Vice President"
"Oh, and you get to do that Tuesday" ?
"Yep! "
" I don't like Obama" he said.
"Okay, why don't you like Obama"?
"Because he says its okay for women not to have their babies"
"Where did you hear that" ?
"Off a commercial"
"wow...yes he and lots of other people do support that"
"well, what if his mom had decided not to have him, why is it that people can support something bad are the ones that have not had it done to themselves? "
"Holy cow ! you are getting smart...what a good question" 

And as I drove on home, I did think more on it...What a tough question by a 7 year old....

9 comments:

  1. First time visiting/commenting on your blog. Your son is so wise for one so young to put this thought together. One can only hope that those who are old enough to cast their vote will cast it as wisely next Tuesday.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Betty! I am happy you stopped by and left a comment. Yes our oldest is wise, we have many profound conversations. most which do blow my mind. His dad and I are very proud of both our boys.

      Delete
  2. My hope is that someday your son or someone that thinks like that is someday (sooner the better)elected president.He is already smarter than what we got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I hope that too. He talks to me about politics all the time. I know its because he hears Senior and I.
      Funny how a 2nd grader is smarter then the leader of the free world... actually scary !

      Delete
  3. Personally I find it sad that someone so young has to consider such issues, but it is the world we live in these days.

    But I agree, he is very bright and a what good parents you two are for raising such bright boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree barlow...does make me sad that my little 7 year old is so educated that he knows some of the more adult social issues.
      he doesn't miss a beat though, ever since seeing Paul Ryan, he has been atuned to the election. because like he said " It even affects me"... dang if he isn't right again.

      Delete
  4. Words of wisdom from the mouth of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that he is thinking about the things he sees and hears on TV. Clearly, he is paying attention to his folks values.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now only if all adults would "think"! LOL

    ReplyDelete