As you can see, it might resemble sausage, but the consistency was very watery, and smelled horrible.And to quote our 5 year old who said : " That's Disgusting!" ...The fact that "Cereal Added" should have sent up a red flag to me...It was not the way sausage should smell, I know its a canned meat and all, but I think it was about 95% lard and 5 % some sort of mystery meat by product- I am sure we could make a better canned sausage with a DAK ham and a pack of taco seasoning...
Anyone got some good suggestions for canned meats?
Yoders makes all kind of very good canned meat, but it is expensive and hard to find. I like the canned bacon, it is great. I also keep cases of Spam, it comes in all sorts of flavors like bacon and jalapeƱo hot sauce now. Canned meat is really important and I'm always looking for new ideas. I also buy canned bread, butter, and cheese.
ReplyDeleteArsenius- We too have bought numerous canned hams, spam, chicken and etc. And we have thought about canning our own bacon, and I know we are getting ready to do a order for butter. We also recently found out that the Australian canned cheeses are now being canned in the middle east..
ReplyDeleteThere was a great article on home canning bacon on ruralrevolution.com a while back. I'm going to try it out. It looked fairly simple and they said it tasted great.
ReplyDeleteHillbilly-Thanks I will have to go check that out..
ReplyDeleteFound it. Took a little digging.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.rural-revolution.com/2011/01/canning-bacon.html