Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Mother..... : ) ~~~

Hubby and I are the only ones in my family that take “prepping” serious. Some days it can be frustrating. Today is one of those days, and I feel the need to let off some steam about my mother. I love her, but she is so different from me. In anything that I do to become self reliant, is met with sarcasm ..from hanging up laundry, canning, to food storage. Just wait until I get a wheat grinder and start making my own bread...."hmmmm" that I'm sure will be a round table discussion.

I was extremely excited about my little “field trip” to the LDS Cannery, that I thought I would call her and make some small talk with her about it. I should have known it would be a mistake, in months past I have tried to get both my parents to come around to my way of thinking. They are good Christian people who feel that God will take care of everything. And I do believe that, but I also believe that we have to take care of ourselves as well.  I do believe in the Bible. But what I also believe is that no one knows when “The End” will happen…it could still be years away. Until that time, I want to be prepared, it is all ready bad here on Earth, and it will get a lot worse. And I absolutely refuse to stand in line for a piece of bread or a cup of soup, nor will I or my immediate family end up in a military controlled encampment.

 So her reaction to the cannery was one  as always of sarcasm. “Why are you doing all this for? “She asked. I have told her time and time again, that I am a prepper. ‘What are you prepping for, what do you think is going to happen”? she will ask. Then it just goes round and round with her. And she doesn’t keep up with the news or world happenings…her idea of a current event is “What’s on sale on the home shopping channel” My sister reminds me that she is elderly and is getting demensia in her old age..and to just go with the flow...

 But, It’s enough some days to make me bang my head against a brick wall, and say GRRRRRRRRRR.  So thanks for taking the time today to read about my frustration. I try not to unload on you good people but some days: Well you know……”Grrrrrrrrrr”

9 comments:

  1. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark. Yet he obeyed in the face of ridicule. Be patient with her. I am in a similar situation. "Magical thinking" is a problem for me. I keep explaining, hoping she will simply understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well when push comes to shove and you're handing her a warm meal and a glass of tea or clean water after the SHTF, you can ask her, " SO, do you believe me now? I really wasn't that crazy..."

    I'd make her answer before I let her have the food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahahahaha at Matt - you meanie!

    JUGM - some people are fortunate enough to come from a long line of preppers - then there's the rest of us who get the constant weird looks, sarcastic questions and deer in the headlights glaze.

    anytime you need to say GRRRRR - you just vent! we'll be right here to support you through it!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ignore the blank stairs and continue doing what you and Senior began a few years ago...time will tell. And, remember, you have friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen's right (as usual). You can lead by example. Sometimes it works, like Joseph from the Bible. Sometimes it doesn't work, like Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris - Thanks! Shes a Christian, next time we talk I will bring Noah in to the conversation..

    Matt- ah Ha ha ha. I will remember to do that, I would love to hear her answer. That is IF though she makes it out of her Neighborhood, and I doubt that happens..again they won't listen to me. One day you will read my post about them being the subject of a home invasion.

    Stephen- As always....Thanks.. Like the saying goes " You can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make it drink".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt:

    that doesn't sound too "Christian" to me ;-)

    JUGM:

    try not to sweat it, to overuse a phrase...

    "you can lead a horse to water..."

    shame you get stuck trying to explain what water is to the horse though, vent anytime, it's healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a teacher in school who told us an old saying,
    "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up" Now think about all that is happening around us today. Just tell her " Mom I will pray for you".

    ReplyDelete