Thursday, May 30, 2013
Time To Do Some Hunting...
I have been a purchaser of "SmithField" products for quite a while. Even yesterday prior to me learning this news, I had bought 2 pounds of bacon from the Commissary. Well, things they are a changin folks!.
Senior and I heard about this acquisition on the 11 o'clock news and my mouth dropped. He looked at me and said "Its time to do some hunting"... I think I will be doing a large order soon to the country butcher.
SmithField says they are not selling out. That this is a way to compete more globally.
If you are not selling out, then what do you call it?
Another American company that will be owned by the Chinese, imagine the impact and implications this could some day have.
I wonder if Paula Dean will continue to promote them or will she be apart of that acquisition and learn to speak Chinese.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/30/4074792/chinese-company-to-acquire-smithfield.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so glad I got two piggies for breeding purposes. I knew there was a reason. Mine are being raised on an organic diet with no medications or growth hormones. Next fall I should have a freezer full of fresh pork. I will go to the store and stock up on what I need to get me through for a little while after this deal goes through. I am not feeding my family anything that China has to do with. Until then I guess we will eat plenty of chicken and fish. Those are grown here too.
ReplyDeleteScary!!
ReplyDeleteI think they are wanting to leave the US because of all the environmental regulations. They have a lot of production in Mexico, notice how a lot of meat labels say product of North America? I don't know if they label the pork that way but a lot of beef is marked that way. The Chinese will ship who knows what in as pork and get away with it. We will eat all of the pig including the oink now.
ReplyDeleteThis isn't good at all!
ReplyDeleteYep, time to move elsewhere for ham... dammit...
ReplyDeleteMatt: Somehow I accidently deleted your comment..but not before I read it...sorry buddy.
ReplyDeleteBut yes, it totally disgust me as well, and yes it is all about the almighty dollar.
MAMMA: that is why we usually go to a country butcher out in the boonies. Senior wants to go hog hunting though and get us some wild boar. I am too afraid to raise piggies, cause my little ones love "Charlottes Web" so much and they will try to make them pets.. : (
AMY: Yes very scary..first its our money they own, now it will be our foods...
SUNNY: Yes I have seen those labels... yea they will probably use rat meat and label it to us as pork...ick!
SM: no not good... : (
NFO: I hate it as well, I like their bacon..but oh well. I just wonder if ole Paula Dean is still going to be their spokes person...
You can email their management team and let them have it!...I did.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.smithfieldhams.com/email_management
We buy very little meat in supermarkets, generally once a year beef at the 4H fair & pork the same....once in a while I'd buy pork at the grocery and it was always Smithfield. Another American CO bites the dust. They wont be getting my $ that's for sure. Now they want to import chickens and beef from china as well. Scary stuff.
ReplyDelete