I ask this of my readers, on this Memorial Day To Whom Do You Honor?
Memorializing our nations hero's began during the Civil War when Southern ladies, put flowers and items of remembrance on both Confederate and Union Soldiers graves.
It was in 1868 that Commander in Chief, John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic issued General Order 11. He declared it to be for the purpose of decorating the graves of fallen soldiers who died defending their country during the Civil War. That first Memorial Day Ceremony or "Decoration Day" as it was known then.Took place at Arlington National Ceremony with the placing of the wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier. Graves throughout the cemetery were also decorated with small American Flags.
But some argue that the first memorial day actually took place with those good southern ladies a few years prior.
For many Americans the day involves parades and cookouts, It has also become known as the unofficial start of summer. The Indianapolis 500 has been traditionally ran on this weekend since 1911, and NASCAR jumped on board in 1961 with the running of the Coca-Cola 600 the same day.
But Again, I ask the question: "Whom do you honor on Memorial Day"? For me its people like my Great Great Uncle who died in Germany during WW1. I also think of ancestors who perished during the Civil War, and all those who died in wars since. I think of Seal Team 6 on Memorial Day, who's helo went down and all on board perished. And I think of Hero's like "The Sullivan Brothers" who in WW11 were stationed together on board the USS JUNEAU..they died together when it was struck by a torpedo. I think of all those Military members who perished in the attack on Pearl Harbor, and battles across the Pacific and Europe.
All these Americans were hero's. If not for them and thousands others...we wouldn't have the freedoms we do know. We owe them our lives. We owe them our respect and gratitude.
They Sacrificed so much so we could stay free...


Thanks for remembering, won't it warm your heart to watch 0bama lay a wreath today.
ReplyDeleteDuke: your welcome. That person makes a mockery of our armed services..I refuse to watch that event
DeleteI remember my husband who was a Korean war vet and my brothers who served multiple tours of duty in 'Nam.
ReplyDeleteBeth: Seniors dad was in Korea as well and his uncle did so many tours in Nam they actually stopped sending him....
DeleteSuch a beautiful tribute. Our family has been blessed so many times - during WWI when my grandfather fought; during WWII when my father and uncles fought; during Viet Nam when my husband fought; and our grandson has served 2 tours in Afghanistan. My heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one in the service to our country. Like Veterans' Day, many just think of Memorial Day as a day off work. It's so very, very important to teach our children the lessons of the past by honoring those who have given their lives for our freedoms. -- Jan
ReplyDeleteGurlie - a beautiful post. i am glad that those good southern ladies laid flowers and mementos and it wasn't even a national holiday then. it speaks to their good character! being that i am canadian, and we don't celebrate memorial day - i always remember and thank all soldiers, regardless of country, who fought for all of our freedoms. i also remember all of the great american soldiers that i had the good fortune to work with. and i also think of all of my american veteran friends, and their families - especially their wives/husbands! i do believe that wives/husbands of soldiers should have a "memorial" day as the wives/husbands of the soldiers are so important too.
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Thank you Gurlie! and for your service. I remember when I worked the military phone centers on the naval base, the Candian Ships would pull in- Those guys were a hoot and loved to party.
DeleteThere is a month here I believe that the Military spouse is celebrated.. not sure which though.
Thanks for this post glock Mom...I'm with Duke....I will not even watch the golfer in chief lay a wreath as I know it means nothing to him!
ReplyDeleteYour Welcome Mama! and thank The Marine for his service to our country! He is such an inspiration. Yea I did not care to watch it, just a big joke to him!
DeleteThank you for your lovely post.
ReplyDeleteFamily who served, those that I served with and those who never made it home.
ReplyDelete