Saturday, August 17, 2013

One Wet Weekend

We drove up Thursday afternoon to spend the weekend at our Country Estate. It has rained non stop and its been miserable. Friday we took care of SSA business, And DMV business.

With all that out of the way, today we drove in the rain to look at Log Homes  Found a few models We liked a lot.


This one has a wrap around porch and open floor plan with a large loft with balcony. But we are still keeping our options open as Senior is beginning his job search. 

We left the home builder and visited our friend Mr. Farmer in the hospital. We took him a bag of Florida Oranges, that we had all ready picked up for him. 

After our visit we got dinner and headed back through the rain to the estate. God gave us a beautiful sign:  


-JUGM

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful sign of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain is God's way for cleaning. So it does get old I know. My folks wanted to build a log home but decided on a used mobile home and my Dad fixed it up. Looks great and taxes are lower because its an older home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainbows rock.

    We have been dry long enough now that I am hoping for a little rain once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DFW: it was beautiful... it stretched across the back pasture

    ROB: def. Want a log home... but cost is a big factor. Also looking at modulars

    PP: it rained thr entire time we were there this weekend
    Of course now we are headed home it is suppose to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genesis 9:16 - "Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."

    Gurlie - i looove rainbows! sorry you have had so much rain - when there is too much, it can be a little hard to handle.

    OMG - THAT HOUSE IS TO DIE FOR! that is my dream - a log cabin down at the river. maybe when you win the lottery you can lend me $35,000 - i promise to pay you back monthly!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a lot more then 35,000. Senior charges 150% interest too.. lol

      I will know more tomorrow when I can actually talk to the Rep. We are also considering modular homes or finding a custom builder. But, again--it all depends on if Senior can find a job up in that area or not. Lot's of things to consider. it is like we want to get the ball rolling on something, but know we need to hold off... kind of a weird situation.

      We left here Thursday afternoon, and it started raining on the way up, and did not stop until we left this morning. everything was so dang wet, and muddy..ick!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful house!!! A wrap around porch is my dream! When my kids are grown, the hubs and I are going to build a little home less than 1000 square ft. off the grid with a wrap around porch. I can't wait! Less house to clean and more outdoor living!!!! Rainbows are a sign, and butterflies ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUGM- Rainbow is beautiful, but beware of Log homes. You WILL be stuck with it, never get your money out of one. Also, they are routinely underpriced until you get started building and find out all the 'other' things you have to have done/pay for. Word to the wise... Also check with appraisers to get the real values.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Log homes are nice, I've lived in one for 30+ years. They have some quirks, though. They are high maintenance. If the logs aren't just right, they'll start cracking and splitting in a few years as they dry out. You have to caulk the splits with special caulk that matches the wood and it's expensive. If you have borer beetles, termites, carpenter bees, or any other wood boring insects you'll have to spray the logs every few years. Even if they come treated from the factory the pesticides have to be renewed. I would never buy a log house again without a metal roof guaranteed for forty years. There's lots more to think about but I don't want to hog a lot of room on your blog. Good luck with the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NFO: We are also checking custom builders, and still looking at modular homes. The cost per square foot is nuts... Thanks for you advice...

    Harry: I was worried about bugs being attracted to them. But we did not think about the caulk issue. There are lots to consider which is why we are still shopping around, and in no rush. Again like I have said over and over, it all depends on where Senior can land a job.
    And yes what ever we end up building we def. want a metal roof. I am happy for yours and NFOs imput...so Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete