Thursday, August 22, 2013

Red Sky in the Morn....

Sailors take warning......


Even at the early hour of 645 am, I could see it out on the horizon. The clouds moving in off the ocean.
As I left to drop the kids at school, the first few pelts of rain started, then came the thunder.
" oh boy, another wet morning" I told the boys.
ND looked out his window and noticed a rainbow....

By the time I got home, it was pouring, literally training in off the Atlantic.The local radar was red and dark green.
 Gosh I love Florida weather...

Even the dogs knew it would be a lazy morning:
 
 

Finally a break in the rain, Senior has stopped calling so he must be back at work. It is 11:30 and I feel "unaccomplished". I did however manage to rebuild NDs, Lego Police Tractor Trailer Truck that the puppy demolished last night. If he had seen the mess she made, he would have been devasted- Gosh I am a good Mom.  Thank God I have the fortitude to keep the little instruction booklets.

Piles of Junk mail to go through and shred. Actually I wish for just one big bon-fire. How does all this add up so quickly? 

More clouds, with the promise of even more storms....

 
 
 
 

-JUGM

14 comments:

  1. At 0400 this morning I stood in our yard and watched the same storm build. The lightning show was fantastic. Still with the rain here....you've always been a good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are super mom to rebuild the lego thing. My mom would have been more worried the puppy had swallowed one the blocks then how I felt about the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather moved to Florida when he was young, a little over a hundred years ago but came back to VA when his father got sick in 1915. He was just below Miami and when he retired, he bought a winter house at Ft Pierce. We used to go there but like everywhere the place got crowded so we stopped vacationing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burn all my paper trash in an old 55 gallon drum out behind the barn. Have to haul non burnable stuff to the dump in the pickup every other month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen: Thanks for the compliment. And it has stopped here for a spell, but you can see more building.. We loved Last Wednesdays storm ( 8/14) the lightening from that was like a strobe light...

    PP: My mother would have never bought them for me. As kids, we got a hand me down set that some one brought in to my dads fire station and that was it. But Lord did I play with those, and built every thing imaginable.
    Legos these days are intricute sets. Mine have most of the Lego Star Wars items, and Lego City... But, Stupid Expensive!
    The puppy aka "libby" has a cast iron stomach, she has chewed her way through countless crayons, pencils, and God knows what else......

    SUNNY: I swear one of these days Florida will break off somewhere around Orlando..we are so dang saturated right now that it is bound to happen. Most people forget that we are swamp land, sit on top of lime stone, and only a few feet above sea level.
    Ft. Pierce, Miami, anything South of Cape Canaveral, We don't go to... It is a whole other country.

    HARRY: We do that and shred. I did manage to get through one pile of it all....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at your pics was like looking out from my deck on the south Texas coast! We have been blessed with showers for the last couple of days. Drought situation here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA??? We can watch storms come in from Stephen's area! I am loving these 5pm thunderstorms because I'm getting sick of the BRIGHTNESS of the sun. Hurts my eyes like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MIZDEB: I have been there a time or two. Specifically Galveston. There was a hotel built on a pier...Stayed there once. Really nice, but also scary as we were right over the water..

    Got cousins all up in San Antonio, and they tell me of the drought too.... hope you get some of this rain we are having.

    LOTTA: Yes Ma'am I am a True Native- not many of us around anymore. Our location is about 12-15 miles from the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that nailed it down for me. lol

      I'm on the other side.

      Delete
  9. Gurlie - because we have so many fishermen in our communities - we say "red sky at night, sailor's delight. red sky in the morn, sailors be warned"...it's cool that all sailors everywhere use the same tactics and whatnot! anyway, you are a really good mom and know it!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senior actually taught it to me. along with the phonetic alphabet, and reading back wards and upside.. : )

      It is cool that over the centuries sea faring ways really have not changed that much. Just like do you know why they use the term "knots" instead of Miles per hour?

      Delete
    2. oh Gurlie - i need to go talk to the fishermen here. it's something about putting a stick out on the front of the boat with knots tied into it and then they keep someone counting the knots? and back in olden times it was the vikings who invented it? oh crap...i now need to go look it up on google...and i got a doozie of a migraine coming on. my "auntie" is visiting - arghghghghgh!

      i was in a signals trade so had to learn the phonetics as well...too damned bad we never used in our real jobs! nor the morse! or the hand signals!

      your gurlfriend.
      kymber

      Delete
    3. OMG ! This is hilarious, but my "auntie" showed up too. I really hate it when relatives visit ....
      Grrrrrrrrr

      Yes, you would be correct, Knots were tied in rope, and then the rope would be let out at the bow, and a small 30 second hour glass. They would count how many knots were let out in that 30 sec. time spand. ( that is pretty much the cut and dry of it)

      Delete
  10. Ah yes, the 3:30 thunder bumpers... You could damn near set your watch by them at NAS Jax... And glad the pup didn't 'eat' a piece of the Lego truck... :-)

    ReplyDelete