Far be it for me to complain about what a person names their baby. If you personally know me, then you know how I constantly battle the establishment over my given name. --Senior could testify!
I once new a girl named "Female" (you say it like Tamale, with three syllables) When my fifth grade teacher asked her how she got such an interesting name she said " Mama said the doctor named me, it is what he put on my birth certificate" yes, good ole Female was black.
My teacher looked at the rest of the class, he was thinking what we all were....
I have also heard people name kids controversial names such as "Adolf" And there are always those celebrities naming kids really funky names. Be'yonce named her little girl "Blue", and recently playboy centerfold Holly Madison named her new baby girl "Rainbow Aurora" and Kim Kardashian and Kanye West named theirs "north" now its name is North West.. get it?
Rob Morrow came up with the preconception idea of naming a child "Tu" he had a daughter and her name is "Tu Morrow"
Anyways, I see this story today from TN. A judge is not allowing a family to name their child Messiah Personally I wouldn't. - to me there is only one Messiah. Hispanics name their kids Jesus all the time but the pronunciation is different.
.
But, for the government to intervene and tell parents what they can and can't name their child..is a violation of their 1st amendment rights, and I don't think the decision will hold.
If this judge had not made this decision it would not have made national news, but it did. Now, I am waiting on Obama to tell us that if he had a son he would name it Messiah... but then I was reminded..he thinks he is the Messiah..lol
Personally thinking of baby names.. why don't we use Ancient Roman or Greek names anymore ? Names back then were strong and had meaning.. What happend to the days of having a son named " Maximus Antonius" Or Clytomedes Idomeneus"
-JUGM
i am personally honoured to know your really cool name! i was named kymber lee - my other middle name is irene - pronounced the polish way - eer-in-ae. anyway, what the heck am i talking about? oh ya - i would love to have a gardener named hay-zeus - it's just not gonna happen on this island! a parent can name their child whatever they want. and naming kids apple and blue and north west...oh i feel for those poor kids!
ReplyDeletegreat post, Gurlie. your friend,
kymber
once at the base pharmacy I was told that my name was miss-spelled on my ID card.. And then there is the issue of my married last name- We get a lot of comments about that.
DeleteI think a gardner named Hay-Zeus would be cool. I worked with a girl once named Crystal Cleare- Once when we lived in CT, I worked for a pest control company and a customer called named "peter peters" every one thought I was making a sick joke on the work sheet... My Lord! What do parents think?
Thank you Irene! lol : )
Librals......
ReplyDeleteI think Alcibiades would be a good name for a kid. Lots of Southerners had names like Leonidas , Ajax, Hector, and the like before the War Between the States but I guess the custom died off like the men did.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that is an interesting story... And not in a good way...
ReplyDeleteROB: Yep!
ReplyDeleteHARRY: My Grandfather was named Ernest, and his brothers were Oscar and Ander. I always liked the name Ander, but being that he was the black sheep of the family and had no contact with anyone, my dad did not want me to name one our sons that. Seniors grandads name was Augustus..another name I liked for a middle name..but my Father in Law said "Hell No"....lol
NFO: The case will get throwed out. I read some rapper named his kid that. so the decision won't fly