Friday, November 15, 2013
Why We Prep
The other day, I read comments on another blog. The post was originally on Veterans Day, but some how and for some reason the comments went negative and preppers was brought in to the subject. One person commenting referred to us as "cockroaches" the blogger who admins. the site went on to call us "DumbA--, and too cocky to survive" Really?
I actually take being mentioned in the same circle as a cockroach a compliment. They have figured out how to survive for millions of years, so they must be doing some thing right.
About that time the Philippines were hit with a major typhoon. Massive destruction, and thousands dead and or missing. In the aftermath, people are doing desperate things to survive, especially in hard to reach areas. Supplies and aid is slowly flowing in. But more is needed. An entire country as been devastated, towns and villages completely wiped off the map.
And people ask why I prep? I, and others like me prep because we don't want to rely on our government for aid in case of the same disaster that hit the Philippines. I prep because I refuse to be a victim. I did stand in line ONCE after the 2004 Tropical Storm outbreak in Florida for a bag of ice and peanut butter jelly sandwiches...I didn't get those items because I was the wrong color. I will never do that again. It woke me and Senior up to a lot of things and we will never depend on government ever again for help.
Has this country gotten so complacent that we have forgotten the effects of Katrina and Super Storm Sandy, numerous earthquakes, floods, and wildfires?
So, for people like these bloggers, and others like them who think it is comical to be prepared-
This is still a quasi free country and you are currently free to express your opinions.
But, when the lights go out, you lose power and your oxygen cuts off- remember your jokes and comments... Karma sucks !
-JUGM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It seems like there have always been people who just can't stand the idea of someone being self sufficient. They disparage people who are. A year or so ago a writer published an article in a big news magazine that was very insulting to the self reliant. It essentially implied they were selfish and disloyal to the country because they were looking out for themselves, and not for "the group."
ReplyDeleteWhen things deteriorate to the point that she can't live her cloistered, insulated, high rise lifestyle she'll see the error of her ways. That day is coming, as anyone who takes the trouble to read a bit and keep abreast of the news can see.
I don't worry about these critics. So long as they don't try to pass laws that negatively impact me, they can just go on buying expensive cars and taking expensive vacations. They won't be my problem when they are saying "why isn't somebody helping us?"
I don't worry about them either. Thank you for your comment, One of our neighbors as that same mindset..they just came in to a bit of money, and have used it extravagantly . She and I used to be pretty good friends, and she made light of that I carry concealed, One the day comes..she will be one of those asking for help and not getting it.
DeleteI just think it is common sense to prep. It is stressed continually here since I live where there are the possibility of earthquakes, but how many people actually do what it is recommended to have on hand? We have probably half of what we should have on some, more than enough on others, but in the event of a disaster like the Philippines or other calamity, we could "tough" it out for a time (though thinking of it, I do need to store a bit more water).
ReplyDeletebetty
If people really look at the way the way they spend thier day, they actually do spend it prepping for one thing or the other.
DeleteI do worry about folks like you out in CA. You have no clue as to when a earthquake will strike, atleast we can track hurricanes.
I believe water and rice are the two best and least expenisve things to stock up on..
oh Gurlie - i just spent the last 5 hours attending a basic CPR/AED training for our local volunteer fire department and we are back tomorrow for another 8 hours....it is so boring that i want to stick a pen in my eye!!! i have taken so much better courses than this during my military days...and listening to the locals tell stories about things that aren't even relevant to the topic at hand makes me want to stab myself in the foot with a coffee spoon. but we must keep certified and this is the only way to do it.
ReplyDeleteGurlie - can you please understand my situation and not get me all upset about prepping, and idiots who don't prep and don't even know what prepping is right about now??? it's 2:30 in the morning and i have to be up at 6 to go back for more horrible hours of training!!! thank goodness for my military training!
please don't get me started on prepping - i'll be up all night! those xmas cards are gorgeous - i really hope my friend wins them...but if she doesn't i hope that i win them. oh ya - forgot to tell you that a friend of mine made me a beautiful scarf - i have a pic to send you in email. i am finally going to break down and give her one of your cards as a thankyou for the scarf - ya, that's how gorgeous the scarf is...you know what i mean, Gurlie!
your friend,
kymber
so you are like picking and choosing who to send a JUGM card to? that is funny. Guess after the holidays I will need to slap another batch in the mail to you. Of course you will get them in June probably..lol
DeleteI hate going to any sort of training or meeting. Why? Because so many dang people get off topic. If folks would stay on topic then it would go a lot faster and we would all be out of there sooner... good luck!
I guess I have been a prepper all of my life and didn't know it. I have always just followed what was taught by my parents and grandparents. If the family was going to eat through the harsh Minnesota winters, you had better spend summer and fall putting away as much food and other supplies as you possibly could. It wasn't called prepping. It was called common sense.
ReplyDeleteThe problem is that common sense you grew up with got complacent thanks to the evolution of the grocery story, and food packaging. If this country was suddenly thrust 100 years in to the past or heck even 50 years back, lots of folks would be in trouble.
DeleteBasic things like canning, and food perserving is not taught any more. people are too dependent on electronics and social media. 3/4 of this country would not survive.
Didn't get the rice because you were the wrong color.
ReplyDeleteThe instances of that happening are more frequent than people know or are willing to admit. Also the wrong gender as happened in Haiti BTW and was enforced by US Military as well.
I believe I am a different type of prepper. At first it might seem I prep simply for me and mine but the truth is I hope I am doing it for more than that if it is possible. Our so called government isn't going to do it for us.
Your experience shows were we stand on their list.
PP to make my story worse, that week, our entire block of homes, were out of power for four days.
DeleteWhen we learned of the ice and sandwhiches provided by the red cross, I headed down to get in line.
They were checking IDs to make sure you indeed lived in that area, and there were folks there from all over the county and surrounding counties..just for a bag of free ice and a PBJ!
There was a news truck covering it, and I went to the news reporter, and told her if she wanted a real story, then our block has been out of power for a week and the surrounding streets had power. She told me that was not a story, the red cross giveaway was... grrrrrrr
While my reasons to start prepping were less dramatic, I've always been inclined to be self reliant. As a military brat, hauled all over the world, it didn't take long to figure out that "things happen" that are out of your control. The good news is that with a little proper preparation the situation can be a lot easier to handle. Lastly, my family. I would consider myself a failure if my kids went hungry, and I could have done something about it ahead of time.
ReplyDeleteI 100 % agree. Senior and I feel the same way, that we have to support our family and keep our kids sustained.
DeleteI was not of the prepping mindset until those storms, and I was not a gun person until our home was broken in to. I guess it takes things like that to wake people up. Now I know that if something does happen, our kids will be sustained. Yes Senior and I need to do more, I don't think you can ever have enough of anything.
We're with you. We are preppers and when we get moved to NC we will really become cockroaches. lol A lot of people out there without common sense or just lazy and/or expect to be taken care of.
ReplyDeleteI think they are so out of touch, and refuse to see what is really going on. If there was a nationwide black out, people would be freaking more over the loss of a cell phone connection, then getting food.
DeleteI hope you get moved up there soon!
JUGM, both of those malcontents have been fairly open with what they have in supplies, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't last too long. Of course, ol' Randall knows he's a short timer, in terms of health, so at least he admits it. I'll give him that. Phooey on 'em.
ReplyDeleteWhat is funny, is that I remember not too long ago when Ole Randall was blogging about being prepared and a prepper.. He seems to change clothes a lot...
DeleteAs far as his little sister...she wouldn't last a week. She once posted a comment to me about how she would not waste water to boil rice..so there ya go.
Complacency IS the problem JUGM... It's the government's fault they are starving... NOT theirs, and they want you to feed them and water them and, and, and...
ReplyDeleteBeing prepared has spared our family hardship when going through Hurricane Andrew, and most recently the tornadoes through Moore, Oklahoma. Attitudes change when people end up in major situations or natural disasters, and realize they have nothing.
ReplyDeleteWhen these situations or natural disasters occur, and you've been forewarned(days in advance), and still haven't done anything to provide or protect your family, shame on them!