Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bird Houses Of The Estate



When Senior and I were dating and I first began what would be many trips over the past 20 years to the Carolina Estate, my in-laws were heavily devoted to the wild bird population that made its home in the trees.
My Father in Law , a contractor by trade constructed many houses for the local winged ones to reside in.You stroll about the hill top and you see the fruits of his labor everywhere. A simple walk down to his old work shop, and you see an unlimited supply of plastic ones still on the top of his work bench where he last put them.

A funny story about it was after Senior and I were first married, we were up for a visit, I went into one storage building and found hundreds of pounds of bird seed. I inquired with Senior, who got a big smile and told me that the Estate was deemed a wild bird refuge by the state, and monthly they got sent bags of the seed to feed the population. I was amazed.
Later that evening at dinner, with every one around the table I congratulated my in laws on the honor of being named a state refuge, and how great it was they would save money by having the state pay for the bird seed.
My step mother in law looked at me strangely, Senior began laughing. She said they were not a refuge, and made me feel about an inch big. I wanted to slap Senior then crawl under the table.
That story has lived on in our family's folklore and the subject of numerous dinner time discussions.



Today, the boys and I cleaned out some old hummingbird feeders, and filled them with red nector. I was reminded of another moment  during another visit, I went to the fridge for something to drink and found what I thought was fruit punch. It was in a regular pitcher.. I poured a large glass full and proceeded to refresh myself.
My Step Mother in Law once again gave me that strange look, and told me I was drinking the Hummingbird Nector.  Good Lord! I thought to myself, she must think  I am the ultimate twit...
I had never seen the stuff before, my parents never placed out feeders...Well she should have labled the pitcher !  lol   I can look back on both these situations as a good sport and laugh.

After my father in laws death, the bird population suffered a bit, no one was here on a regular basis to fill the feeders. I am happy that the boys and I have taken on the task during this summer. We have cleaned out feeders, and hung them through out the trees, the feathered population is once again returning to the trees they once called home, and to the feeders they always relied on.


-JUGM

9 comments:

  1. It stands to reason an ultimate twit would be interested in bird seed and drink nectar :) I used to feed the birds around here a lot until it got to the point I was going through 50 pounds of seed a week with nothing more to show for it than a huge flock of wrens and a couple of black birds. I still feed the hummers though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a fun project for the kids. That large feeder is NWs responisblity. My sister gave ND an "eye spy birdhouse" ...kind of cool. Now we are trying to attract birds to it.
      We have all kinds here, wrens, orioles, blue birds, cardinals...and of course mockingbirds. All I had to do was put out that one hummin bird feeder, and it was like my kids to honey.. they have all come out of the woodwork.
      So I guess I am the ultimate twit..lol now I am much educated on the subject

      Delete
  2. JUGM,

    Those birds will keep you busy filling their bird feeders, and nectar containers.

    I fill my bird feeder up daily. Usually once the feeder is filled, it takes less than 1 hour for the food to all be gone. We also throw out all the old bread for the birds to enjoy.

    I love these stories about your in-laws. This is a story to always look back on and smile.

    Hugs and love to you, Senior, and the boys
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senior made a deer feeder, I am about to have him do the same with PVC pipe. My friend had something similar put in her chicken coop. she only has to fill it up once a week...kind of cool

    Yes those stories are funny now, but I absolutely felt like a ninny at the time... hugs to you guys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its always fun to watch the birds and such. I saw a woodpecker tonight. I hadn't seen one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loves birds. She was always raising foundlings as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gurlie - i am glad that you and the boys are taking care of the birds! we have 2 regular bird feeders, 2 coffee tables out in the yard that we put feed on, and 4 hummingbird feeders. we love attracting the birds here and love watching their antics. watching male mourning doves go after the females for mating is hysterical. watching baby grackles and baby bluejays try to come in for the land on either the table or tree is so funny! and then we have a ton of hummingbirds that "fat boy" is always chasing off. soon the yellow and red finches should be having their babies and that will be fun to watch. and every afternoon we listen to the white-throated sparrows sing their beautiful songs back and forth to each other - oh it is breath-taking.

    you sound like you are doing/feeling a little better. just know that your Mom and Dad are in our prayers. and that we hope that you and Senior and the boys have a wonderful summer. take care Gurlie. all of our love being sent your way!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv the stories...glad to know I am not the only one who puts her preverbal foot in her trap on occasion. Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete