The boys summer vacation starts at precisely 10:30am. The past two days have been these early release days...why is that? Why not make Thursday one full day and let it be over with then?
The school system really makes me shutter with its decision making process. I called about the Memorial Day and Veterans Day issue. And as I expected I received a complete dance around the initial question. It was blamed on everything from the August start date, to final exams being this week and not wanting to give kids a three day weekend so they could have that day to prepare. By the time the man was done with the excuses, the phone had started to sprout roots from my ear.
* SIGH*
I was told by the school board office that several state house reps.wants to change the school start date to an earlier day in August, thus allowing school districts to allow kids those two days off. I was asked to email the state Representatives. So I contacted all SC State House Members...most gave me an automated email But, one did send me a more in depth response..what I was asked to do? I was asked in the email to contact my local school board members about the issue, that they are the ones who vote on the school calendar.
So basically back to square one.
*SIGH*
So, Senior and I will continue to keep the boys home on those days, teach them about the sacrifices made to keep our country free. And teach them patriotism and respect for our military ourselves.
-JUGM
Ahhh the old run around. It is so easy for the governments to use the run around routine after they threw the Constitutional ratio of reps v. population to the wind. Only thing you can do is what you said. Do it yourself.
ReplyDeleteHomeschool.... who is better to teach your child than you and Senior. HSLDA has a page called MY STATE that will tell you what the laws are for homeschooling in your state: http://hslda.org/hs/default.asp
ReplyDeleteDon't be afraid - it seems scary but you may even have some local homeschool groups for your area who may do play times in the park or road trips to museums,etc... and there is a lot of curriculum to chose from that ranges from complete curriculum for your boys' grade level or you can piecemeal it.
Best wishes! You are capable of doing this! :-)
We know, and have researched homeschooling quite throughly. The boys love their elementary school, and it is way more on the conservative side of education then most. (with the exception of the school calendar issue). What i mean is what public school allows the baptist church across the street to come in and give hand outs to the kids? it is unheard of these days- but ours does, and parents don't mind. . They say the pledge every morning, and have a moment of silence. My sons social studies teacher has all the New Rush Revere books, and the ones for kids written by Bill O'Reilly. Sixth grade rolls around in two years, and that means middle school...and I am willing to bet the middle school here is not that conservative..so I am sure our school choice might be changing...
DeleteGurlie - i am sorry for all of the run-around that you had to deal with! but i am 100x100x100 in agreement with hobo above...homeschool your boys. you are definitely intelligent enough and between all of the life experiences that you and Senior have had - you 2 are definitely more qualified to be teachers than your average run-of-the-mill teacher. and by homeschooling you'll be able to tailor to the boys' learning needs and encourage their interests.
ReplyDeletei am sending much love to you all, as always! your friend,
kymber
Thanks Gurlie... I agree with HoBo too, I wish our school totally sucked though. Its really hard when the teachers and staff are so dang awesome. They recognized the boys transcripts from moving from FLA, and did not want them to fall behind, so they were bumped up a grade level in Math. Now they are both being tested for the gifted program in two weeks. And the teachers are incredibly conservative. I guess because we are so rurual now. They do things at the school that other schools don't... I hate loving this school so much! LOL.
DeleteBut, we have been up and down the homeschool things quite a bit, I have tons of curriculum samples, and yet it is always on the table.
Love to you guys too..hope all is well.
The answer to your question regarding the school days is simple.
ReplyDeleteState and Federal regulations consider the 2nd class of the day the official attendance point. And schools get money based on how many kids per school day are in attendance.
If they shortened the week, the would not get credit for 2 days.
Its about the money, not the education.
Bob S.
I know....but we are talking about two Nationally recognized days on the Calendar that is observed by other school districts, government offices, banks, and businesses all across this country.
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteYou'll continue to get the run around by the school district and their reps. We got the same crap over here. I'm so over the school system, and glad our son is finished with school. I say continue doing what you've been doing, and don't hesitate on letting the school know your feelings about Veteran's and Memorial Days. Stand your ground Girl!!!
Hugs,
Sandy
I have been researching starting a petition.. My problem is its not our elementary school...like I just told Hobo, we are very fortunate to have this school, there is a waiting list of kids from all over the county to get in to it. It is way right on the conservative side of education. Honestly, what school allows a Baptist Church to come in and hand out fliers???? that is pretty much unheard of in this country.
DeleteI'd be a PITA to that school board, and get the other vets to do the same... Squeaky wheel and all that...
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE to get our local veteran affairs office involved, but the problem with the dizzy blond who runs it, is they don't hire veterans to work in the veterans affairs office..so why would they care about a military holiday not being recognized on the school districts calendar. I however do not think my battle is over....
DeleteYou made a real effort. I'm glad there are still a few people who care enough to try.
ReplyDelete