Friday, July 3, 2015

corn pickin time

The corn is ready...  We are literally up to our ears in it!  the first 75-100 ears we boiled for 7-8 minutes then soaked in ice water before sealing them with the foodsaver. the bad ones we gave to the chickens.
 
Next couple of batches, I think we will can. Either way, this family is going to be eating a lot of corn throughout the winter months...  lol   
 
 
 


And in other news, the major heat wave we had over the past few weeks broke down, and the rains have returned. Yesterday was a nice cooling downpour:


our family is celebrating our little man NW turing 10 today. I remember when I had him my sister told me to enjoy those moments, because once they start school the years start flying by, and sad to say she was right. I have no idea where the time went....(sniff, sniff) 

6 comments:

  1. ahhhh...poor Mamma with the babies growing up so quickly. but tell NW a happy birthday from his 2 canadian friends.

    oh ya - and then stop whining Gurlie - look at all of that glorious corn! and it is only the first week of july!!! arghghghghgh! i looooooooove corn but we can't get it to grow here for the life of us. we get all of our corn from other farms around here - we get it in end august/early september and then freeze and can it for winter. your corn looks beautiful! so glad that your garden is producing so much for you all....and sending much love, as always!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gurlie I have been so emotional all day, all I have done is stare at him ,or tear up...can't believe my baby is 10. Now I am coping and sucking down a can of hard cider...bahahaha!

    yes corn, corn and more corn...LMAO we will be eating corn clear up until next summer. Now that the heat wave is over, my cukes are back on track and coming out nice and dark green again.
    Watermelons are coming along nicely too, but I should have started them earlier...so lesson learned for next year.

    hugs and much love to you and Jam

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUGM,

    OMG.......CORN!!!! I just love fresh corn from the garden. Great idea with freezing the corn and canning it. Don't forget to save some of the kernels for seeds for later on.

    Happy 10th Birthday to NW!!!! Kids grow up so darn fast, enjoy and cherish every moment with your boys because before you know it each one will be graduating high school. Time flies when you're raising kids.

    If you mix up 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1 gallon of water and pour it on your cucumber leaves and plants this will help those leaves turn back to dark green.

    Hugs and love to you, Senior, and the Boys.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep are up to our ears in the corn... Lol.

      I can't think of the boys graduating high school right now. 8 more years for that..(sniff, sniff). It's like everything is just one big blue, like passing scenery on the highway while driving.
      I might give the epsom salt a try, our big problem right now, is the bitter taste...we have cut the ends off and rubbbed and rubbed until I hoped all the nasty taste was out, but we take a bite..and its still there. Can't seem to get the bitter out of them... Uggggg

      Hugs to you and all of your family

      Delete
  4. Corn is a great crop. So many ways you can prepare it, and a ready source of chicken feed, as you point out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a multi purpose crop.....and yea the chicks go crazy for it..

      Delete