Friday, December 23, 2016

a visit to FL, and Wreaths Across America


ND and I left last Friday to head home to visit mama and visit dads grave for Christmas. My sister and I knew the 17th was "Wreaths Across America" day, but we had no idea of the extent it entailed. I just thought it would be volunteers putting the wreaths on and that was it well It was amazing.They do a simultaneous ceremony across the country, here it was at 11:45. The crowd was quite overwhelming, there must have been hundreds of people there. So many cars that it took us an hour to leave and to get back out to the main highway...normally its about a 10 minute drive...



Things got emotional when "Taps" was played and the Navy did a 21 gun salute. I play the piano and took formal lessons for years, my dad would sometimes sit down on the bench and play Taps...it was the only song he knew. So whenever I hear it, Taps has an extra emotional aspect for me. 

If you live near a national cemetery, and you have the chance this Christmas, go by pay your respects. The wreaths on the graves are absolutely beautiful and very touching....


6 comments:

  1. Glad you got a chance to see that, it IS impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. incredibly impressive...never been there for the actual ceremony..it was amazing

      Delete
  2. JUGM,

    I'm so glad you were able to visit your Mom at the nursing home, and your Dad's grave site. Taps always gets me crying. The ceremony and wreaths are beautifully done at each national cemetery.

    Sending hugs and love to you, and your family.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete