“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are
absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books
through your skin,
without even opening them.”
-Mark Twain
Whatever it is, it makes me happy going into ours. I think I am one of the rare ones that browses the books, most people these days go there to browse the Internet.This was "Our Internet".
I remember having to sit going through encyclopedias to do a research paper, and sitting for hours taking notes.
My mom was not a book worm like me, I get it from my dad. I remember I had to do a term paper in 10th grade, and mom drove me to the library, I guess she thought I would just check a book out on the subject and we could go... After my browsing for an hour she started getting testy with me..I saw her sitting in a chair tapping her feet and mouthing " hurry up" to me. I got a "C" on that paper... Thanks Mom !
I like our library here, there is a room called "The Carolinian Room" and inside is a large meeting table with 4 shelves of books, they are the known history of families who settled in the area. Some are a first edition print , others are the only print ( like with our family) and no one is allowed to check them out. But you can sit there all day, reading through them, taking notes etc....
I am thankful the boys have inherited my love of books, they like spending time in the kids section and read just about as much as I do. Summers are the best, some days we sit at the tables reading and trying to decides what is a good book and what is not... I guess it is whatever peaks their interest for that day... I think about something funny little ND once said to me after leaving the library he said "Mom, I feel so much smarter after being in there" . He is always full of humor...
Senior bought us a really nice bookcase,. I am inheriting some of dads books and buy so many on my own that I needed one. I never get tired of them. Books are an adventure, waiting for you to open them up and jump in to the story they tell.. They are like an old friend...they are always there for you offering wisdom to their reader.
-JUGM

I love to read. my books of choice are history, history of an airline, business, battles, etc. I not found of Harry potter and company. I do read survivor type books. My youngest daughter loves to read. She can finish a book in a day or two.
ReplyDeleteOur oldest is like that...He can sit for hours and read..
DeleteAll libraries smell alike!! I think it is great.
ReplyDeleteBooks are my most prized possession, I would rather read then do anything else. I can think of anything I don't like to read. I prefer fiction, but enjoy and learn lots from non-fiction. I hope heaven has a comfy couch and rooms of shelves of books I have never read. And a basket of apples.
Every few years I go through and thin out my books, taking them to the local library to donate. While I love to handle "real" books, I admit to having been seduced over to the dark side of e-readers. You can make the font as big as you need to so I can read at night without my glasses on, or when my eyes are tired. And the best part, I can throw a nook or kindle into my bag and take my library with me. DH doesn't have to build me any more bookcases, and moving no longer would involve me moving so many boxes marked "books".
My best friend and her husband once helped me move, and he said I couldn't possibly have read all of these books, and he was sure if a few boxes "fell off the truck, she'd never notice". Both my son and my husband said "yes she would". LOL.
Books are like good friends, always there to help lift you up or to escape into when life just gets rough. My son got my book gene, probably because whenever we went someplace where we might have to wait, I made sure he always had a book with him. And we always read bedtime stories out loud every evening. They were chapter books, one chapter a night. So he has been hooked since about age 2 or 3. He told me once he knew he had met his perfect girlfriend as she had almost as many books as he did. They got married, and weeded through the books, passing duplicates on to the local library or friends.
I have books that were my great-grandfather's that I hope to pass on to my grandkids, if I get some someday.
Your like my neice...when she got married she used all her books as center pieces on the tables with flowers and candles...was pretty cool. They moved from Fl to PA, and the boxs and boxes of books they had was eye popping. Her new husband built her bookcases for them all. She likes all the classics and hard to find ones.... I have some that were my husbands grandmothers, that his mom had and I got when she died. They are so old the cover is coming off..
DeleteJUGM, I couldn't agree more! Libraries are still special to me, even with all the click click clicking of PC keys these days. The smell is still there, even with newly built ones. The books carry the smell. When I used to travel, if I left my book at home (no kindle back then), I would buy a new one even if it meant paying full price in the airport bookstore. If I ever got on a plane w/o one I would literally have a panic attack, especially if the flight was over 2 hours. Only did that once.
ReplyDeleteI find that I hit the local Goodwill a lot too for books, or used book stores. We passed by one the other day, I soon want to go check out, kids will be out of school this week for Christmas so we may go then...
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteAgreed, a library was where we would do the manual research to anything (it was our non electronic internet).
We have books galore, Bulldog Man and I read plenty of books and maintain our own little private library of resource/reference books, along with great reads.
Granted I've received a kindle fire for my birthday years ago however, there's nothing more enjoyable than holding a hardcover book in ones hands.
Sending hugs and love to you and your family.
Sandy
My sister also would tell me that the library is a great place to meet guys....lmao. Never met a guy in there and neither did she...lol
DeleteOur youngest reads a series called "the story thieves" where it is just like that, the kids jump from book to book going through all the adventures.....
Ahhhh, books! No kindle or e-gadget can compare to the smell, sound of a page turning or the feel of a book. There's a used book store down the mountain that is really cool. Books up to the ceiling. The first time we went there we spent over an hour browsing. Of course, we came home with a few 'treasures'. But I think our most success with used books are at the thrift stores across the river.
ReplyDeleteHave your boys ever read the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books? Those are fun, too.
Happy Reading! :-)
My wife likes the library and now that we are both retired, we go several times a week. I just order the books I want on the computer and pick them up at the desk when they come in. My wife gets around 15 books every trip, mostly Agatha Christi type mysteries. Strange, I have lived here for 32 years but hardly ever gone in the library until she retired.
ReplyDeleteI really like your site and content so much,thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.
ReplyDeleteดูหนัง