Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dehydrated Food and Seed Bank

We were super excited to see our Costco order arrived. Dehydrated veggies, powered whey milk, and non-hybrid seed bank ( for whenever all the canned and dehydrated food runs out). We ultimately would like to have 1 to 1 1/2 years of food stored. And buying seeds is a real nifty idea and something most people do not consider, when SHTF and things do not recover in a reasonable amount of time, what would you do to feed your family? How about plant a garden, it will help kill time, and by letting the kids help out with it, will keep them occupied as well. Just make sure when you buy a seed bank that it is NON-HYBRID.

This current order was very reasonably priced, and was shipped and received within the week. Last weekend we added some metal shelving, everything had been packed up in buckets and hid in a closet, I had no idea what was expiring and what wasnt. You know the old saying: " out of sight, and out of mind" . Well that is how this was. We got the kids to help, and it was a  math lesson for them  learning how to read expiration dates. so now all the older stuff is in the front and the newer items in the back. And now we have this saying in the house " Take from the front, replace in the back"


OUR NEW COSTCO ORDER


Add caption


6 comments:

  1. That looks great. You guys have it on the ball...tell the little ones I said hello and give 'em a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen-that is just the canned items,I don't think the shelves are strong enough to handle all our rice or sugar buckets. I think next we are going to store up some popcorn, and pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Will do with the hugs...and you do the same to their little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On that seed bank can I ask how long they say they last and how it is stored? Our current long term plan means abandoning the house pretty much if things were really bad and dangerous and since that much food is not easily portable I have been thinking more about enough food to get us through until we can get a garden going and then having seeds in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lila- they came indidually sealed in foil packs then all packed in a air tight plastic container.It does not say the life span on them but given the way they are packed i will assume about 5 years. This particular bucket will plant one acre of veggies, I did notice on costcos sight, they no longer have them listed. But you can go anywhere on the net and Get seed banks..just make sure they are non-hybrid seeds. I found this site and I might order from here next time: http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Articles.asp?ID=245&gclid=CKrJiKagvaoCFcY32godDkXpiQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're looking good. Most people are still keeping just enough in the house to last a day or two.

    ReplyDelete